Many clubs insist on formal western type dress with neck tie for entry. They have kept the Pre independence rules intact. I know that the army mess/ clubs also prescribe such dress code. Recently, a Tamilnadu based club refused entry to a Dhoti clad retired judge who was invited to a function. I understand that the invitation card would have indicated the dress code for the occasion. It is for the judge either not to accept the invitation or to go there in proper dress as suggested. I don't understand what is so big about this. The Tamilnadu politicians see this as attack on Tamil culture.

But clubs also need to examine the tradition. Let the dress code be only for members or even individual guests of members. But an exception should be made for non members specially invited by the club.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/jayalalithaa-sets-dress-code-slams-dhoti-ban-by-chennai-clubs/article1-1240950.aspx

http://www.ndtv.com/article/south/indian-club-s-ban-on-dhotis-in-favor-of-western-attire-draws-protests-559937?curl=1405573088

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Exceptions should be made for non-members who have been specially invited for function in such clubs. The guests too do have enough sense to appear in properly ironed clothes even if they are traditional. Traditional clothes are no less smarter than western suits so it should not be made an issue.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Many clubs insist on formal western type dress with neck tie for entry. They have kept the Pre independence rules intact. I know that the army mess/ clubs also prescribe such dress code. Recently, a Tamilnadu based club refused entry to a Dhoti clad retired judge who was invited to a function. I understand that the invitation card would have indicated the dress code for the occasion. It is for the judge either not to accept the invitation or to go there in proper dress as suggested. I don't understand what is so big about this. The Tamilnadu politicians see this as attack on Tamil culture.

But clubs also need to examine the tradition. Let the dress code be only for members or even individual guests of members. But an exception should be made for non members specially invited by the club.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/jayalalithaa-sets-dress-code-slams-dhoti-ban-by-chennai-clubs/article1-1240950.aspx

http://www.ndtv.com/article/south/indian-club-s-ban-on-dhotis-in-favor-of-western-attire-draws-protests-559937?curl=1405573088

I believe when a dress code has been mentioned well in advance it should be adhered to or if one is not comfortable with the dress code the person should have a reason for not following the dress code and inform it to the host in advance.

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani

I believe when a dress code has been mentioned well in advance it should be adhered to or if one is not comfortable with the dress code the person should have a reason for not following the dress code and inform it to the host in advance.

That there are clubs which still carry dress codes made before independence ( by the British for keeping distance or forcing Indians to subjugation) shows how there are sections of Indians who also are not only insensitive but enjoy discrimination of fellow citizens to show their superiority. Supporting such rules is not justified.
Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
A club is a place for entertainment and relaxation. The purpose of such clubs is mostly is to act as an escape from the daily routine. Not Wearing a particular prescribed dress will not defeat the purpose of such clubs. I opine forcing Dress code is an unwanted exercise.
A club is a place for entertainment and relaxation. The purpose of such clubs is mostly is to act as an escape from the daily routine. Not Wearing a particular prescribed dress will not defeat the purpose of such clubs. I opine forcing Dress code is an unwanted exercise.

A club has definitely to prescribe dress code for members in general or for specific occasion. Also there will be nothing wrong in adhering to dress code by individual guests of members. But when non members or othr dignititaries are invited on special occasions, they should be exemptd from dress code.

A club has definitely to prescribe dress code for members in general or for specific occasion. Also there will be nothing wrong in adhering to dress code by individual guests of members. But when non members or othr dignititaries are invited on special occasions, they should be exemptd from dress code.

It's all right to prescribe a dress code for a special occasion. But not for all occasions. There are many Hi Fi clubs in my place where there is no mandatory dress code.It's left to the discretion of the member.

It's all right to prescribe a dress code for a special occasion. But not for all occasions. There are many Hi Fi clubs in my place where there is no mandatory dress code.It's left to the discretion of the member.

As far as members are concerned, dress code is internal matter with which others are not concerned. It is only others invited on special occasion for whom dress code needs be exempted.

As far as members are concerned, dress code is internal matter with which others are not concerned. It is only others invited on special occasion for whom dress code needs be exempted.[/quote

I wanted to impress upon you is that dress code is not prevailing in all the clubs. It's not a rigid rule that it can't be amended or removed all together.
I agree with Jayalalithas stand on the issue...When kurtas are allowed why not dhotis ? On the one hand everyone harps on western culture and influence and on the other hand you see such stupid discriminations regarding dress codes ...What is essential is that an individual be dressed in neat and dignified clothes. Dhotis are traditionally worn in all the southern states and if these clubs dont respect this dress then there is something wrong with their priorities ...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

I agree with Jayalalithas stand on the issue...When kurtas are allowed why not dhotis ? On the one hand everyone harps on western culture and influence and on the other hand you see such stupid discriminations regarding dress codes ...What is essential is that an individual be dressed in neat and dignified clothes. Dhotis are traditionally worn in all the southern states and if these clubs dont respect this dress then there is something wrong with their priorities ...[/quote

Clubs are not schools. Members are elders not children. Dress code is a thing that should be left to the members. Thrusting and forcing of a dress code will prove counter productive.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.