Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
I agree with Jayalalithas stand on the issue...When kurtas are allowed why not dhotis ? On the one hand everyone harps on western culture and influence and on the other hand you see such stupid discriminations regarding dress codes ...What is essential is that an individual be dressed in neat and dignified clothes. Dhotis are traditionally worn in all the southern states and if these clubs dont respect this dress then there is something wrong with their priorities ...[/quote

Clubs are not schools. Members are elders not children. Dress code is a thing that should be left to the members. Thrusting and forcing of a dress code will prove counter productive.[/quote

A club consists of mmbers who have full liberty to decide their own dress and other matters. We cannot comment on their decisions in such matters. They can make rules for themselves.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

I agree with Jayalalithas stand on the issue...When kurtas are allowed why not dhotis ? On the one hand everyone harps on western culture and influence and on the other hand you see such stupid discriminations regarding dress codes ...What is essential is that an individual be dressed in neat and dignified clothes. Dhotis are traditionally worn in all the southern states and if these clubs dont respect this dress then there is something wrong with their priorities ...[/quote

Clubs are not schools. Members are elders not children. Dress code is a thing that should be left to the members. Thrusting and forcing of a dress code will prove counter productive.[/quote

A club consists of mmbers who have full liberty to decide their own dress and other matters. We cannot comment on their decisions in such matters. They can make rules for themselves.[/quote

If its a decision of the members there is no issue at all. But there are clubs which have set rules. And the issue is about the clubs which have set rules and rigid rules. In all, i'm of the opinion there should not be any rigidity about a simple thing like dress.

A club consists of mmbers who have full liberty to decide their own dress and other matters. We cannot comment on their decisions in such matters. They can make rules for themselves.

You are taking a legal view on a cultural issue. When a club bans a particular dress, in this case dhoti, it is expressing its disapproval of it and in the process all persons who are not members also feel insulted. Has any club in India ever banned western dress wearing by its members. What pleasure do a group of members get by banning Indian style dresses. It shows a slavish mentality to a dead power by self appointed persons. Club members cannot have the liberty of banning a dress style.
I agree with Jayalalithas stand on the issue...When kurtas are allowed why not dhotis ? On the one hand everyone harps on western culture and influence and on the other hand you see such stupid discriminations regarding dress codes ...What is essential is that an individual be dressed in neat and dignified clothes. Dhotis are traditionally worn in all the southern states and if these clubs dont respect this dress then there is something wrong with their priorities ...

Clubs are not schools. Members are elders not children. Dress code is a thing that should be left to the members. Thrusting and forcing of a dress code will prove counter productive.

One can understand certain functions where they have a dress code like a fancy dress party or a formal newyear ball but expecting people to dress in western clothes and disregarding traditional Indian attires shows lack of sensitivity and arrogance !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

I agree with Jayalalithas stand on the issue...When kurtas are allowed why not dhotis ? On the one hand everyone harps on western culture and influence and on the other hand you see such stupid discriminations regarding dress codes ...What is essential is that an individual be dressed in neat and dignified clothes. Dhotis are traditionally worn in all the southern states and if these clubs dont respect this dress then there is something wrong with their priorities ...

Clubs are not schools. Members are elders not children. Dress code is a thing that should be left to the members. Thrusting and forcing of a dress code will prove counter productive.

One can understand certain functions where they have a dress code like a fancy dress party or a formal newyear ball but expecting people to dress in western clothes and disregarding traditional Indian attires shows lack of sensitivity and arrogance !

Then let membrs of these club decide what dress they prefer. If they prefer Indian type dress, they may well do so. Actually this all depends on members. When new membrs join they also accept the rules already made by the club. I feel that many cannot even wear Indian type dress. Personally I also wear only European type dress outside my residence and simply lungi and vests at residence. If I were required to join some function in Dhoti and Kurta, I would be unable to attend.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Then let membrs of these club decide what dress they prefer. If they prefer Indian type dress, they may well do so. Actually this all depends on members. When new membrs join they also accept the rules already made by the club. I feel that many cannot even wear Indian type dress. Personally I also wear only European type dress outside my residence and simply lungi and vests at residence. If I were required to join some function in Dhoti and Kurta, I would be unable to attend.

First of all i would like to know if there is a necessity of Dress code for a club which is nothing more than an escape for relaxation and a bit of entertainment. It's like asking the viewer to wear a particular dress to see a movie in a Cinema hall..

One should be neatly dressed - that should be the only requirement.
I think it is better to decline the invitation or not join civil clubs who follow a particular dress code or make it a mandate. Dressing is a personal choice and it should be left at it.

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

We are known for aping blindly imported Western customs. This habit has strongly entwined with our lives. We are helpless. We cannot get rid of habits like Dress code system and many such habits which have no relevance to the present society.
Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
This is snowballing into a huge issue in TN having cm also putting forward her opinion. :whistle: :whistle:

http://mohanmekap.com/

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.