Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
I'm in full support of Jayalalita. The idea of forcing dress code is meaningless and uncalled for.
We may not like western culture or customs. But even the supporters of such culture have right of association. They can't be denid the right to form club according to their taste. Similarly, others have also right to form their clubs. It is higly undemocratic to deny anyone the right to form association or club according to his choice. Adherence to westrn dress, music or culture may not necessarily mean contempt for Indian or south Indian culture.
Incidentally, Dhoti is a dress not only in South but also in U.P., Bihar and Bengal.
Also, there is written or unwritten dress code for every occasion. The dress for marriage function differs from that for funeral or mourning occasion. There is some dress code- written or verbal or customary for every place or occasion. We need to take the issue in right spirit.
It also needs be seen that politicians as well as those conected with judicial system are in habit of exaggeration and making fuss of every thing. The dress code in clubs is every where in India. But the real issue with the clubs is that these are facilitator of corruption. The corporate and business tycoons meet the bureaucrats in these prestigious clubs and settle deals. The membership fee for these clubs is very exhorbitant. But the army officers and civil officers get temporary membership totally free. Thus these prestigious clubs are meeting place of corrupt officers and businessmen.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

We may not like western culture or customs. But even the supporters of such culture have right of association. They can't be denid the right to form club according to their taste. Similarly, others have also right to form their clubs. It is higly undemocratic to deny anyone the right to form association or club according to his choice. Adherence to westrn dress, music or culture may not necessarily mean contempt for Indian or south Indian culture.
Incidentally, Dhoti is a dress not only in South but also in U.P., Bihar and Bengal.
Also, there is written or unwritten dress code for every occasion. The dress for marriage function differs from that for funeral or mourning occasion. There is some dress code- written or verbal or customary for every place or occasion. We need to take the issue in right spirit.
It also needs be seen that politicians as well as those conected with judicial system are in habit of exaggeration and making fuss of every thing. The dress code in clubs is every where in India. But the real issue with the clubs is that these are facilitator of corruption. The corporate and business tycoons meet the bureaucrats in these prestigious clubs and settle deals. The membership fee for these clubs is very exhorbitant. But the army officers and civil officers get temporary membership totally free. Thus these prestigious clubs are meeting place of corrupt officers and businessmen.

If the clubs are centers for corruption, and this is known to all, why they should survive? Imposing something itself is undemocratic. The moment something is imposed and thrusted on people how it can stand to the definition of Democracy?

If the clubs are centers for corruption, and this is known to all, why they should survive? Imposing something itself is undemocratic. The moment something is imposed and thrusted on people how it can stand to the definition of Democracy?

The membership rate of the presitigious clubs is deliberately kept very high so that only business tycoons can enter these clubs. The government officers get free membersip (temporary) because the businessmen want favor from them. The governing body of these clubs is headed by senior defence or civil officer. Usually a new member is required to give interview that he must attend accompanid by his wife.

Thank you said by: rambabu

The membership rate of the presitigious clubs is deliberately kept very high so that only business tycoons can enter these clubs. The government officers get free membersip (temporary) because the businessmen want favor from them. The governing body of these clubs is headed by senior defence or civil officer. Usually a new member is required to give interview that he must attend accompanid by his wife.

I know how these clubs function. The purpose of these clubs are also well known. But, your description about the nuances involved are impressive.
Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani
We are known for aping blindly imported Western customs. This habit has strongly entwined with our lives. We are helpless. We cannot get rid of habits like Dress code system and many such habits which have no relevance to the present society.

As far as I know, all high-ranking officials in South India stick to their traditional costume even at work places and that has NEVER proved a deterrent to their efficiency! So why should be blindly ape the west and force the western dress code on everyone? Let it be a personal choice for everyone. The only criteria should be neatness and decency, that's all!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

We are known for aping blindly imported Western customs. This habit has strongly entwined with our lives. We are helpless. We cannot get rid of habits like Dress code system and many such habits which have no relevance to the present society.

As far as I know, all high-ranking officials in South India stick to their traditional costume even at work places and that has NEVER proved a deterrent to their efficiency! So why should be blindly ape the west and force the western dress code on everyone? Let it be a personal choice for everyone. The only criteria should be neatness and decency, that's all!

These officers can make changes in th clubs by asserting themselves. But I doubt how these officers behave when in central government service. The I.A.S officers behave diffrently when in Delhi than when posted in home state under state government.

These officers can make changes in th clubs by asserting themselves. But I doubt how these officers behave when in central government service. The I.A.S officers behave diffrently when in Delhi than when posted in home state under state government.

Behave differently??? How?

I agree with you Kalyani. It should be left to the individuals concerned, of course neatness and decency are mandatory.
Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

I agree with you Kalyani. It should be left to the individuals concerned, of course neatness and decency are mandatory.

Yes....And where smartness is concerned, a crisply starched white dhoti with thin golden border and a kurta look so beautiful and smart! It is not as if only western suits are smart!

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.