Song and dance are the art forms that enable women in flrsh trade to change to more honorable job. Many prostitutes of Beria commuinty are bar dancers. In case, the ban on bar dance continues, they may have no option but to revert to the flesh trade.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/SC-to-hear-plea-against-Maharashtra-dance-bar-ban/articleshow/42392487.cms?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=digest_section

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Song and dance are the art forms that enable women in flrsh trade to change to more honorable job. Many prostitutes of Beria commuinty are bar dancers. In case, the ban on bar dance continues, they may have no option but to revert to the flesh trade.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/SC-to-hear-plea-against-Maharashtra-dance-bar-ban/articleshow/42392487.cms?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=digest_section

According to the link provided," petition says the fresh ban, grounded in "personal vendetta", was initiated in great haste to "defeat the SC judgment" and because "some politicians had made it a prestige issue". The ban seeks to make the SC order a nullitY.
In my view the ban robs off the livelihood of some categories of people.

To me if bar dancing enables women to earn a livelihood without involving in flesh trade, there is nothing wrong in this. However, if bar dancing is just a form of camouflaging flesh trade then it is better if it is banned.

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

To me if bar dancing enables women to earn a livelihood without involving in flesh trade, there is nothing wrong in this. However, if bar dancing is just a form of camouflaging flesh trade then it is better if it is banned.

There are scores of women who work as just Bar girls without indulging in flesh trade.

The profession is the only means of livelihood for many women who have been forced into by coercion and/or circumstances and in majority of cases, does involve flesh trade. But even if the flesh trade is taken out, it still has been and is still a cause for numerous broken and ruined families where the men, including very young men, have gotten addicted to it and spent all their money on these bar dancers. Many have been known to have sold all their valuables, belongings, and even homes to spend money on the dancers. So I wonder which one is the lesser evil, rendering these dancers jobless by closing the bars or letting the men throw money at their feet? :blink:

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

The profession is the only means of livelihood for many women who have been forced into by coercion and/or circumstances and in majority of cases, does involve flesh trade. But even if the flesh trade is taken out, it still has been and is still a cause for numerous broken and ruined families where the men, including very young men, have gotten addicted to it and spent all their money on these bar dancers. Many have been known to have sold all their valuables, belongings, and even homes to spend money on the dancers. So I wonder which one is the lesser evil, rendering these dancers jobless by closing the bars or letting the men throw money at their feet? :blink:

I personally feel rendering the dancers jobless is robbing their livelihood. In such cases the government should show an alternative.

I personally feel rendering the dancers jobless is robbing their livelihood. In such cases the government should show an alternative.

That may be so..but another fact is also equally true that an equal or more number of women who come through the worse imagined conditions work at laborious jobs to earn livelihood rather than trade flesh. The government needs to be more proactive in providing alternative jobs to these women, many NGOs are working relentlessly to rehabilitate such women, but many women who are addicted to easy money just go back to their old habits.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

There are better ways and respectable ways which of course involves hard work for earning a livelihood. Bar dancing may be a easy way to earn money and hence opted by many women. Well, govt. has given a lot of facilities to these people, it is just that enough is never enough and these women always find a way to earn more without considering it to be bad. Of course there are scores of women who are forcibly thrown into this (bar dancing) but even when they get a chance they don't wish to take up good respectable jobs.

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

That may be so..but another fact is also equally true that an equal or more number of women who come through the worse imagined conditions work at laborious jobs to earn livelihood rather than trade flesh. The government needs to be more proactive in providing alternative jobs to these women, many NGOs are working relentlessly to rehabilitate such women, but many women who are addicted to easy money just go back to their old habits.

True. Many NGOsnare doing yeomen service in helping those women who come from dreary conditions. Even for the women who are habituated to making easy money. . I feel majority of women want to lead a respectable life.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.