The topic is locked.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Lopamudra wrote:
vijay wrote:

Muslims do not have any gods and no image of the Prophet is permitted by their religion. There is no such ban in Hinduism. According to your logic if he had showed then it would have been justified. 

I'm well aware of that and that is exactly why I said muslims and not muslim gods. You missed it or intentionally overlooked it. Logic meant some basis...On what basis did he Portray our gods like that? And  Please refrain from using sarcasm just because my ideas don't match yours !!

In forum discussions if sarcasm,humour, wit, repartees, provocation are to be refrained, then we may as well migrate to North Korea!

In Suni51's case his painting of Hussain's supporters as envisaged by him, in today's environment will be hailed not only as a piece of fantastic art but he would be promoted as a champion of a particular philosophy. Wewould also shine in the reflected glory of having shared forum with him. Such are the times we are in.

As far as artworks are concerned, it is mainl;y in India that controversies are created regarding the caste of the artist. But no one ever says anything about the real talent and skill of the artist. In this case, where Hussain's paintings are concerned, we already had another similar discussion where I had made it quite clear that Hussain was never trained as an artist and it was by fluke that he was systematically and in a planned manner projected as being one. He did not have the basic strong drawing skill and strong sense of composition which a professional artist SHOULD have. While his loyal fans speak about Hussain's bold content, colour composition, his horses depicting freedom etc. they themselves seem to be forgetting that art is about "picking up that is beautiful and presenting it in such a manner that it is aesthetically pleasing and appealing to the viewer's" Hussain's art certainly lacks it all and only those praised his art to whom those pieces have brought money in auctions. It is only because Hussain is a Muslim that we find so many loyal fans of his here even though he has neither talent nor skill. We had many other Muslim artists, professionally trained and more adept at paintings but just because they were not projected by media and certain other factions, have remained obscure to this day. We have Abalal Rehman from Kolhapur , Abdur Rahman Chughtai from Lahore, and S.S. Shaikh, an excellent artist who died last month in Mumbai. But do anyone even know their names?? Just google these names and see their works and compare them with Hussain. But please just do not keep praising Hussain and his paintings because in my opinion, by doing so, you are insulting not Hindu culture or Gods, but the whole purpose of what art is and what role it plays in development of our society.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: Lopamudra
Although I am an intruder into this domain. ,one thing puzzles beyond my wits.Why did as celebrated and as great a painter as late Hussein have to pounce upon the goddess Saraswati to seek his artistic moksha by stream rolling the sensibilities of millions of believers? As Lopamudra's rejoinder rightly points out that there is no association of any sex with this goddess. Are artists above all scrutiny. Should we allow art to exist for the sake of it?
Thank you said by: Lopamudra
chinmoymukherjee wrote:Although I am an intruder into this domain. ,one thing puzzles beyond my wits.Why did as celebrated and as great a painter as late Hussein have to pounce upon the goddess Saraswati to seek his artistic moksha by stream rolling the sensibilities of millions of believers? As Lopamudra's rejoinder rightly points out that there is no association of any sex with this goddess. Are artists above all scrutiny. Should we allow art to exist for the sake of it?
There are some art forms and works that only artists or lovers of art can understand. Such works should not be for public consumption. Just as we have adult movies, such art work should be only for genuine art lovers.  These need not be placed in public gallery.  These need also not be publicized. I remember that some paintings of Hussain were kept in a gallery that was not for public exhibition. But some enthusiasts entered there and damaged paintings and furniture.  

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

@Gulshanji

I was surely not talking about form but content.I am not a connoisseur of painting.Did he break any new ground as far as form is concerned like surrealism,impressionism or cubism? There were legendary painters before him and name a single one who took such a crude and perverted view of a religious figure.I am not a believer but how can I arrogate to myself to offend the innermost sacred feelings of another community and in the process most irresponsibily endanger the peace and security of members of my own community.About your defence of him that certain works meant to be strictly private and for a select few,I would term it as utterly ridiculous even Hussein did not take refuge behind such a specious plea! Prove me wrong by citing authentic sources!!

Thank you said by: usha manohar

There is far  too much of communalism in the environment and one wonders to what extent people can go to trash someone. Where will it all  lead?

vijay wrote:

There is far  too much of communalism in the environment and one wonders to what extent people can go to trash someone. Where will it all  lead?

I get a feeling that most have simply not bothered to read my post. There is NO communalism involved in trashing Hussain but his own arrogant view of things to portray icons sacred to others in a most vulgar manner. At one point of time, he himself had said that he painted Hitler because he hated him so that makes his own hatred for HIndus and their icons amply clear because he painted them all nude. He himself is responsible for bringing communalism in his works and not those who trash him for it! It is a very very sad fact that people so dearly love to like Hussain and defend him so vehemently. It has become rather a fashion!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.