Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Smita Patil was a great artist and obviously when we discuss her another name comes in automatically and that is of Shabana Azmi. Basically, I am more fond of Shabana Azmi but I do like Smita Patil too. I remember the movie 'Arth' very clearly. I hated her character when I first watched it but later after 4/5 years when I saw the movie once again I found a great change in my thought process. I simply felt that the whole fault was in the male character.  

shampasaid

Definitely. Along with Smita Patil, Shabana Azmi, and the pioneers of New wave cinema in India starting from Shyam Benegal and Girish Karnad also flash in to our mind. Actually the neo realism trend was started in Bengal and Kerala. When it comes to Smita patil, I like her role in Bhumika. And Ankur of Shabana Azmi's movie are my favorites.

Shampa Sadhya wrote:

Smita Patil was a great artist and obviously when we discuss her another name comes in automatically and that is of Shabana Azmi. Basically, I am more fond of Shabana Azmi but I do like Smita Patil too. I remember the movie 'Arth' very clearly. I hated her character when I first watched it but later after 4/5 years when I saw the movie once again I found a great change in my thought process. I simply felt that the whole fault was in the male character.  

Smitha, Shabana and Deepti Naval were all part of the meaningful cinema of the seventies , it also included artistes like Naseeruddin Shah, Anant Nag , Om Puri,Farooque Sheikh, Amol Palekar , even Amrish Puri who started his career with a film called Kaadu ( forest) in kannada, which won many awards . This was also called Parallel cinema movement , with Satyajit Ray, Mrinal Sen, Tapan Sinha, Bimal Roy and some film makers from other parts..They lacked funds because there were not many takers but in the sixties they were given funds by the government and seventies saw a boom in such artistic and realistic films..Many directors like Gulzar, Shyam benegal , Mahesh Bhatt and Govind Nihlani came up with some beautiful films during that period. Actresses like Smitha, Shabana ,Deepti and even Supriya Pathak were lucky to be part of that movement which is all but dead now..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

Generally, the parallel cinema or New wave cinema earn awards. But not cash at the Box Office. Yes some Governments financed some of the Movie prucers . Satyajit roy took a loan from the Government. For this sole reason Neorealism and new wave pictures gone in to oblivion

usha manohar wrote:
Shampa Sadhya wrote:

Smitha, Shabana and Deepti Naval were all part of the meaningful cinema of the seventies , it also included artistes like Naseeruddin Shah, Anant Nag , Om Puri,Farooque Sheikh, Amol Palekar , even Amrish Puri who started his career with a film called Kaadu ( forest) in kannada, which won many awards . This was also called Parallel cinema movement , with Satyajit Ray, Mrinal Sen, Tapan Sinha, Bimal Roy and some film makers from other parts..They lacked funds because there were not many takers but in the sixties they were given funds by the government and seventies saw a boom in such artistic and realistic films..Many directors like Gulzar, Shyam benegal , Mahesh Bhatt and Govind Nihlani came up with some beautiful films during that period. Actresses like Smitha, Shabana ,Deepti and even Supriya Pathak were lucky to be part of that movement which is all but dead now..

Add Ketan Mehta too who directed Smita Patil in Bhavani Bhavai and Mirch Masala, both of which showcase Smita Patil's talent very perfectly! His another film Holi, although Smita did not act in it, is also a great movie. Coming to Smita, if you can watch Marathi film Umbartha , which means the the threshold, the movie has English subtitles too. The movie explores how a woman has to struggle to find her place in society outside her home, her lead co-star was Girish Karnad, an excellent movie!  This is one movie that No fan of Smita Patil must ever miss. And the music by Hridaynath mangeshkar, Lata's voice are only too suiting to Smita's acting prowess.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: usha manohar
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:
Shampa Sadhya wrote:

Add Ketan Mehta too who directed Smita Patil in Bhavani Bhavai and Mirch Masala, both of which showcase Smita Patil's talent very perfectly! His another film Holi, although Smita did not act in it, is also a great movie. Coming to Smita, if you can watch Marathi film Umbartha , which means the the threshold, the movie has English subtitles too. The movie explores how a woman has to struggle to find her place in society outside her home, her lead co-star was Girish Karnad, an excellent movie!  This is one movie that No fan of Smita Patil must ever miss. And the music by Hridaynath mangeshkar, Lata's voice are only too suiting to Smita's acting prowess.

Yes Kalyani, I have seen both Mirch Masala and Subah  , which was Umbartha in hindi...In fact I have a video of it. I have heard about Bhavani Bhavani and Holi...would love to watch it !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

There was one unique quality in Smita Patil. She had sixth sense. In those days, the shooting for Amitabh's Coolie was going on.One day he received a call at he dead of the night from Smita. The question she asked was, "Are you alright ?" Amitabh was amazed at Smita's question. The next day, during shooting, Amitabh met with an accident. Amitabh while recalling this incident was amazed at Smita's Sixth sense

Her sixth sense was once again proved when she told Poonam Dhillon that she was going to die at thirty one

I have no idea about Smita's Marathi movie that you mentioned but now I would try to watch it. Girish Karnad has his own aura because of his great screen presence. Watching him act is delightful.

shampasaid

usha manohar wrote:
anil wrote:

Samita Patil started her carrier as Marathi new reader. She did like commercial cinema but to promote new wave cinema she done some commercial films.

She was also drawn into Rajnessh cult and was often seen visiting the Osho ashram at Pune along with Vinod Khanna, some of my friends had seen her there .But once she became friendly and became close to Raj Babbar she must have lost interest .

I don't know about it. She was a reserve nature person so it may be possible.

anil wrote:
usha manohar wrote:
anil wrote:

Samita Patil started her carrier as Marathi new reader. She did like commercial cinema but to promote new wave cinema she done some commercial films.

She was also drawn into Rajnessh cult and was often seen visiting the Osho ashram at Pune along with Vinod Khanna, some of my friends had seen her there .But once she became friendly and became close to Raj Babbar she must have lost interest .

I don't know about it. She was a reserve nature person so it may be possible.

Smita is frank and forthright. She will not hide anything. She will say whatever she thinks without caring what others think

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.