Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Shampa Sadhya wrote:

I have learnt Bengali at home and now my son is also learning it at home while in school he studies Hindi, English and German. Using English in between any other language is quite acceptable but speaking Bengali with Hindi words continuously used in between or vice-versa sounds very awkward. It seems we are not good at any of our own language. Minimum use is fine but constant mixing is truly uncalled for. When we learn Hindi or any regional language then we must properly learn it but to remain globally accepted we must give equal importance to English side by side.

yes using words of other language in between make difficult to understand. I can speak three languages Hindi, Punjabi and Bagri. I speak with Punjabi speaking person in Punjabi and like it Hindi and Bagri speaking. It is better to use other language in reading books of that language.

anil wrote:
Shampa Sadhya wrote:

I have learnt Bengali at home and now my son is also learning it at home while in school he studies Hindi, English and German. Using English in between any other language is quite acceptable but speaking Bengali with Hindi words continuously used in between or vice-versa sounds very awkward. It seems we are not good at any of our own language. Minimum use is fine but constant mixing is truly uncalled for. When we learn Hindi or any regional language then we must properly learn it but to remain globally accepted we must give equal importance to English side by side.

yes using words of other language in between make difficult to understand. I can speak three languages Hindi, Punjabi and Bagri. I speak with Punjabi speaking person in Punjabi and like it Hindi and Bagri speaking. It is better to use other language in reading books of that language.

Exactly, My Mother tongue is Telugu. But I read Books written in Hindi. Though, I take more time for reading. I enjoy them.

chinmoymukherjee wrote:Picking up a few words or a few sentences of a language is not proper learning.However I would prefer learning the right way as many languages as my mental faculties permit!!
I agree. But sometimes you need to learn only a few things like numbers and salutaion in a local language for working purpose. If you are at new place even a little knowledge of sentences required for routine communication may help. 

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

@anil and @rambabu My father took lot of pain to make me learn Bengali. Speaking was never a problem because at home we speak in Bengali. In school I studied Hindi, Sanskrit and English so I was never interested to learn to read and write Bengali. My father used to say that I must learn my mother tongue. Just before the summer vacation he bought me Bengali Alphabet book and after the school reopened I never opened the book and by the next summer it got lost but my father never got tired. Again he used to buy during the next vacation. This way my learning process used to take place and one fine day it was noticed that I have learnt to read as well as write Bengali though my writing is still very bad. Later, after learning to read Bengali I always loved to read Bengali story books which has helped me to learn the language better. 

shampasaid

When I was working in a Major Public sector steel plant in the state of Odisha, , we the employees used to talk in English. But, when I go for inspection to check the Quality standards of the the products in the other Units, it becomes necessary to communicate with the workmen, who deal with the manufacturing process.

As a Metallurgical Assistant in the quality control wing of Research and Control department , it's one of my duties to check the Quality standards of the products.

It's where the necessity of knowing at least working knowledge in the local language to make my work easier and smooth. Another advantage in learning local language is that the work men who are mostly uneducated will be happy and hasten the work process, if you speak in their own language.

I believe that there are two drivers which influence one's decision to opt for learning a language- one is the practical need and other is love or passion for it.One leads to acquiring bare minimum acquaintance and the other leads to learning, acquiring proficiency and mastery of it.So when I say I know it I am making too tall a claim by having a smattering of knowledge of a language. Knowledge means knowing the grammar,vocabulary, peculiar turns of expression, figures of speech and the treasure of literature of a language. Hope I am clear on my points!

@ Chinmoy most people including me have learnt languages because of need .In my own case since Kannada is the state language you have to learn it and since Thulu and Konkani is spoken in my home town I get to learn it without much effort ! If a person really wants to learn a new language then one has to do it from the basics .

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.