Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
rambabu wrote:If Sanskrit is extinct, Why so many Magazines are in circulation today ? Why Sahitya Academy, India's National Academy of letters gives an Award every year to writers in Sanskrit language since 1967 ? Why a Sanskrit News Bulletin is broadcast everyday from Doordarshan ? It's a fallacy to think that Sanskrit is extinct.
It cannot be disputed that Sanskrit is not in popular use. Hence this is extinct. A few scholars will always use any language. That way no language- Pali, Prakrit, Hebrew- may be called dead.  Often we find the extinct things in museum. The magazines described by you and other related things like sahiytya academy awards do not in any sense make Sanskrit a living language. Obviously Sanskrit is not used by public. The only use is for religious rituals or for scholars studying ancient knowledge.       

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Gulshan Kumar Ajmani wrote:
rambabu wrote:If Sanskrit is extinct, Why so many Magazines are in circulation today ? Why Sahitya Academy, India's National Academy of letters gives an Award every year to writers in Sanskrit language since 1967 ? Why a Sanskrit News Bulletin is broadcast everyday from Doordarshan ? It's a fallacy to think that Sanskrit is extinct.
It cannot be disputed that Sanskrit is not in popular use. Hence this is extinct. A few scholars will always use any language. That way no language- Pali, Prakrit, Hebrew- may be called dead.  Often we find the extinct things in museum. The magazines described by you and other related things like sahiytya academy awards do not in any sense make Sanskrit a living language. Obviously Sanskrit is not used by public. The only use is for religious rituals or for scholars studying ancient knowledge.  
Sir with all due apologies, I'd like  to ask you a question. If Sanskrit is extinct, What for these   Sanskrit publications and News channels  are there ? Is it not a waste of time and money ? Is it not a waste of money which is being spent towards their salaries and news print ?

The very fact that it is in use , whether it is in rituals or by scholars, it is very much around as a language and used by some on a daily basis ! There is a also a Sanskrit news report in DD channel ! The present government wants to revive Sanskrit which is a very positive step but the opposition and Congress sympathisers see saffron even there ! 

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

usha manohar wrote:

The very fact that it is in use , whether it is in rituals or by scholars, it is very much around as a language and used by some on a daily basis ! There is a also a Sanskrit news report in DD channel ! The present government wants to revive Sanskrit which is a very positive step but the opposition and Congress sympathisers see saffron even there ! 

Some people will ignore all the facts and evidences and keep claiming that it is a dead language in spite of it being very much in use. No matter what, they will keep claiming that it has no use other than for performing marriage and death rituals. My maternal aunt and her husband both are Sanskrit scholars and travel around the world to present their papers every six months and it is from their account that I know for a fact that Sanskrit is the number one language that is being studied in Germany and is growing in popularity in other European Nations too. In India too, in cities such as Pune, Ahmedabad, Benaras, Chennai It is widely studied and researched. In spite of such evidences, why do people keep harping on it being 'dead' is quite beyond my understanding!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

Some people will ignore all the facts and evidences and keep claiming that it is a dead language in spite of it being very much in use. No matter what, they will keep claiming that it has no use other than for performing marriage and death rituals. My maternal aunt and her husband both are Sanskrit scholars and travel around the world to present their papers every six months and it is from their account that I know for a fact that Sanskrit is the number one language that is being studied in Germany and is growing in popularity in other European Nations too. In India too, in cities such as Pune, Ahmedabad, Benaras, Chennai It is widely studied and researched. In spite of such evidences, why do people keep harping on it being 'dead' is quite beyond my understanding!

Sanskrit is know as language of Hindus, it is only reason that some peoples saying that Sanskrit is dead language. It is good news that western countries are accepting Sanskrit. We Indian like to follow western countries. It may be possible that we will start praising it because western countries doing it. I read some where that Vedas which belongs to us was protect and conserve by Germany.

anil wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

Sanskrit is know as language of Hindus, it is only reason that some peoples saying that Sanskrit is dead language. It is good news that western countries are accepting Sanskrit. We Indian like to follow western countries. It may be possible that we will start praising it because western countries doing it. I read some where that Vedas which belongs to us was protect and conserve by Germany.

True Anil...it is a very sad and disturbing fact that things that are marked by our ancient tradition and culture are termed today by so-called intellectuals to be either 'saffron' in colour or obsolete and outdated. The same thing happened with Yoga, which when was taken up by Westerners and proclaimed to be the best thing to have happened to them, only then its importance was understood by Indians. Same now goes for Sanskrit. And because congress's sole agenda is to please and bow before only the certain community, anything that has to do with ancient Indian culture, will be proclaimed as nonsense and all the other terms we are already reading in this thread!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
anil wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

True Anil...it is a very sad and disturbing fact that things that are marked by our ancient tradition and culture are termed today by so-called intellectuals to be either 'saffron' in colour or obsolete and outdated. The same thing happened with Yoga, which when was taken up by Westerners and proclaimed to be the best thing to have happened to them, only then its importance was understood by Indians. Same now goes for Sanskrit. And because congress's sole agenda is to please and bow before only the certain community, anything that has to do with ancient Indian culture, will be proclaimed as nonsense and all the other terms we are already reading in this thread!

Community other than Hindus came here after 7 and 8 century. It is question that Congress and other parties are opposing every things which are associated with Hindus, where we and our language and tradition and culture to go. We have not right to talk about these in our country.

More importantly all schools have Sanskrit as a language of study, my children studies Sanskrit as their second language while at school and it is being taught in my school until the junior college levels as a second language option, and when this is something that has been in practice for years in almost all government and private schools how can this language be called extinct or dead ? And now why is it being made an issue , goes to show the mindset of some people who see saffron everywhere ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

usha manohar wrote:

More importantly all schools have Sanskrit as a language of study, my children studies Sanskrit as their second language while at school and it is being taught in my school until the junior college levels as a second language option, and when this is something that has been in practice for years in almost all government and private schools how can this language be called extinct or dead ? And now why is it being made an issue , goes to show the mindset of some people who see saffron everywhere ..

All languages of the world are good one. Every language have its own quality and flavour. It is not good to associate any language with religion. 

anil wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

All languages of the world are good one. Every language have its own quality and flavour. It is not good to associate any language with religion.

Yes. Language is meant for communicating with each other. Language unites. Never divides. 

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.