Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Will Tamil Nadu agree to Sanskrit being the medium of education? 

That has to be seen. As I said earlier introduction of Sanskrit is a time taking an long process. Let's together wait.

Wait till eternity. How can Sanskrit compete with today's languages which are widely accepted and used. Sanskrit was a language of ancient India. in today's India it has an archival value. I also respect it but am realistic to accept that its days of glory have long since passed. Will engineering, medicine , law etc be taught in Sanskrit. Your answer will be yes it can be done, present govt. will do it. But is it going to happen. 

A language that has been termed as Classic language has been forgotten and neglected , do you think just by waving a magic wand, Sanskrit will come back ? Yes i still say the present government will succeed in  implementing engineering medicine etc in Sanskrit. Thats why I wait. If you can't wait well that's up to you.

The point here is not whether the language can be used as a medium of instruction or whether it can compete with modern languages. The point is whether the language holds any importance in today's world and answer to that is yes and vast uses have already been proved and elaborately discussed above.

Thank you said by: chinmoymukherjee, Kalyani Nandurkar
The same set of arguments being advanced all over again which have been effectively rebutted! If restrictions were placed on non-Brahmins learning Sanskrit, how come some of rishis and maharshis were non-Brahmins? I don't know if the term 'extinct' admits of any modifier or qualifier like more or less! Its import does convey a state of absoluteness. No intermediate state.I am also not much informed about its status during the Muslim-dominated eras. Dara Sikho was well-versed in it.The entire Vaishnav religion which flourished under the spiritual guru Mahaprabhu Chaityna during the Muslim eras.My home still has rare literature of this religion all in Sanskrit as my late father was a devout Vaishnav.Now coming to Bengal Renaissance heralded by a galaxy of luminaries who fought Brahminical tyranny were all masters in it.They countered brahminical orthodoxy and deviancy with their true knowledge of Upanishad and other shastras,Raja Rammohan Roy,Swami Vivekananda,Tagore,Vidyasagar,Keshab Chandra Sen and above all Sree Ramakrishna. The point to note here is Sree Ramakrishna was a Brahmin and Vivekananda (aka Narendranath Dutta) was not. But nothing came in between the spiritual union of these sacred souls.

It can not be any one's case in disputing the merit of the Sanskrit language. That it is a great language and has  a very scientific grammar suitable for today's computer languages is a tribute to it. However to expect that it will become the language of the masses, will replace current languages as medium of instruction and all official work will be done in it is simply not going to happen for reasons that have nothing to do with Sanskrit itself. It lost to the invaders languages more than a thousand years back. Probablity of it becoming the lingua franca is always there howsoever miniscule it may be. In the distant past and recent past if a stray rishi or a reformer learnt it in spite of not being a Brahmin does not negate the reality that it was never the  language of the masses. Its richness is not in doubt, But repeatedly harping only on  its past glory in itself shows it is a language  of the yester ages. I also support all efforts by government, institutions and individuals to encourage its study and keep it alive, after all it is the mother of many Indian languages and has vast and rich  literature.

Sanskrit has never been darling of mass people. From its stages it is learnt and most of languages evolve from it. But still it continues still to date. Regional languages like Pali and others evolve from Sanskrit way before. But continuance of Sanskrit still continues as it goes on to show that this is not a dead language. Safronisation of education is not similar with Sanskrit education. Even modern super computers based upon Sanskrit codes as it is the most suitable of the most. There are many English writers who adopt this language and then analyse to understand how close Greeco Roman language with Sanskrit and its daughter languages.

http://mohanmekap.com/

Lopamudra wrote:

The point here is not whether the language can be used as a medium of instruction or whether it can compete with modern languages. The point is whether the language holds any importance in today's world and answer to that is yes and vast uses have already been proved and elaborately discussed above.

Lopamudra, you have summed it up quite well. Extinction or liveliness or revival of any language actually depends on what it can offer in terms of knowledge and content in today's context and Sanskrit fits the bill completely and beautifully well. In spite of its evident labeling as 'saffronizing language' or 'belonging to only a certain upper caste people' etc. it still serves a multitude of purposes to each and every component of the society. Ayurvedic treatment is given equally to an upper caste Brahmin and to a lower caste person. Sanskrit which is used to program computer languages and codes are used in the same manner by persons belonging to all castes. So constantly harping on it as extinct, upper caste, extinct language is useless and futile.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: Lopamudra, chinmoymukherjee

In none of my posts I have advocated the cause of this language as a spoken language despite its extraordinarily rich vocabulary it can't be the lingua franca like English. The reasons are clear. As to the small number of people who visited this planet to reform and break fresh and new paths and vision my only question is : When did we have them in thousands

and millions unlike today when we have more leaders than followers!!!!

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.