How ro select a tenant for residential property. Personally, I prefer air force soldiers as they are disciplined, keep accommodation neat and clean and pay rent regularly. They are transferable. On transfer, they also introduce next tenant from air force.  There are also many other issues when selecting a tenant. The link below gives some suggestions.

https://in.finance.yahoo.com/news/selecting-tenant-house-consider-104135311.html

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

As the owner of the house, it helps one to choose the right kind of tenant before one decides to give for tent.

The most important single factor is to verify if  the property  would be safe in the tenant's hands hands

Ability to pay the rent regularly on a fixed date, the tenant's marital status, that is bachelor or married, food habits, pets are to be verified at the very outset

You have a good choice but I prefer not to keep tenants at all. I used to give two spare sets to engineering students (2 boys per set) from distant areas but now I prefer not to let out my spare space. That's good for mental peace.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani

Yes. I have a choice. That's why, I did not let my flat. Earlier, i had a an individual house which i had given for rent as I had to work in another state. The tenants made my house like a  ware house. This taught me a lesson. Now I have a big flat in a prime locality. We are only two members residing in Vizag. Still I did not rent my Flat.

We used to rent out the upper portion of our house which is a self contained 3 bedroom house for many years now .  normally giving it out for 11 months with legal rent deed and change it when it is renewed after the period ... Now, it is being painted and done up so been empty for more than 6 months . But it is not at all a problem here renting out properties and we have had no problems at all..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Most of you here are owners and are only sharing your opinion from that perspective. I don't agree that only Air Force soldiers pay rent on time, I along with my family has been staying in various apartments as tenants, but to date, we have never been late for paying rent on time. It is not just few sections of people who pay rent on time or not, it is attitude of people who you rent out a place. That can be judged by talking to the person and a doing a background check of what the person does or where s/he works.

Just like it is important to rent out property to good tenants, it is equally important to choose good tenants. I myself was almost duped when one of the owners denied getting the rent via check, although I got an email and an sms that the money has been paid. And the owner said that he had not received any money, so I gave him cash too, then on getting the sms, I had to show him the lost of transactions to get the money back. Again it boils down to the  attitude of the people per say not any particular section or class of people.

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

Mousumi Ghosh wrote:

Most of you here are owners and are only sharing your opinion from that perspective. I don't agree that only Air Force soldiers pay rent on time, I along with my family has been staying in various apartments as tenants, but to date, we have never been late for paying rent on time. It is not just few sections of people who pay rent on time or not, it is attitude of people who you rent out a place. That can be judged by talking to the person and a doing a background check of what the person does or where s/he works.

Just like it is important to rent out property to good tenants, it is equally important to choose good tenants. I myself was almost duped when one of the owners denied getting the rent via check, although I got an email and an sms that the money has been paid. And the owner said that he had not received any money, so I gave him cash too, then on getting the sms, I had to show him the lost of transactions to get the money back. Again it boils down to the  attitude of the people per say not any particular section or class of people.

I mentioned air force as my house is located near air Force station and the newly posted persons need rented accommodation till they are allotted government accommodation. actually this depends more on location of property.  During govt. service, I also lived in rented house. My father got his own house only after his retirement. so before that, the entire family lived in rented accommodation.  

Let me explain this from tenant's viewpoint. I preferred accommodation near my place of work so that I may not have to travel more. Some office colleague would introduce me to house owner. I also preferred such accommodation where the house owner does not himself live in the same house or at least there is no common facility like bathroom that could be cause of trouble. Generally, it is easier to get accommodation on rent if you are a transferable employee. 

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Thank you said by: rambabu

Giving accommodation on rent to someone needy is not a bad idea! It ensures proper use of the capital invested. But for some time, it has been seen that the accommodation is vacant and the needy is not able to get it because of the bad experience of the land lord with the tenants previously. Some landlords have become very choosy and some tenants too do not handle the property with full sincerity. For some people, getting rent on the accommodation spare with them becomes a source of income/bread and butter. For them, an ideal tenant is required. If the tenant does not exercise due care of the property, it pinches very much as sometime the amount of the repairs exceeds the rental income. Therefore, a change in attitude of the tenants is required to make the process of renting out an accommodation and taking on rent some accommodation more smooth. Since the accommodations lying vacant in a city for a long period make the investment idle and become, sometime, smart target for the illegal activities, it would be better if there is some corruption free mechanism reintroduced on the district administration level for controlling the properties on rent. There be an effective District Properties Rent Officer to control the properties lying vacant in the district. The officer may take over the properties lying vacant in the district and keep a register of them. He may invite the interests from the persons intending to take on rent some property in the district and allot the properties one by one meeting the requirement of the tenants to the maximum extent after fixing the rent as per circle rates for a specific period. Before giving the property and taking back, an assessment report be prepared regarding the maintenance of the property. If some tenant is not found suitable in the locality on account of his behaviour or he does not vacate the properties after the specific date, he can be easily put out by the district authority. This will ensure proper use of the national wealth as well as timely payment of the rent while ensuring the proper maintenance of the property.

I'm against giving my residence for rent. Though my 3 BR flat is spacious and right now the residents are only two. I and my wife. My children live in different parts of the country and abroad. Because my flat is located in a prime locality, i know it fetches a good sum for rent. The reason for my refusal to give my flat for rent is, My children whenever they come for a holiday, I should keep my flat ready. This is not possible if I give it for rent.

I would like to second the opinion of @Mousumi Ghosh in totality. The main problem is in attitude be it an owner or a tenant. I stay in a rented house and till date had no problem with the owner. The worst approach of some owners is that if some one wants a place for rent then they are usually looked down. The owners consider themselves supremo and they treat their tenants as subordinates. Once this attitude is changed for the better then automatically a bond will be created and tenants will take care of the rented house as their own. The owners speak rudely, create water dispute, a day or two delay in rent payment is made to be a big issue, joint electricity meter is made a hassle for the tenant and so on. On the other hand, some tenants love to pick up verbal fight with the owners or deliberately make an issue of a non-issue. So, both are equally responsible for all the problem between them. A little understanding and humane thought can make the owner and the tenant relationship a good and sporting one.

shampasaid

I don't like to give my house for rent. At present I have not enough accommodation to rent. But before some years I had but I never give it for rent. Privacy is only and only reason for it.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.