I had an impression that an old man does not feel depression as he has no more worries related ti job as well as family being retired and settled all domestic problems like children education and marriage etc. But now a research says that old age brings more depression. The reasons are weak physical condition and sickness.  It appears that old people need more care and health facilities.

http://www.financialexpress.com/article/lifestyle/health/depressive-symptoms-increase-with-age/165525/

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

There are many reasons for depression. It's not the old people alone who suffer from Depression. Youngsters too are becoming victims of depression.The present Fast life is responsible for this malady. Depression has many side effects. Untreated depression may lead to Coronary heart disease.

There are many natural ways to treat depression. Foods high in Omega3 fatty acids ( found in fish ). If you are pure vegetarian go for such food rich in  Green vegetables, fruits and pulses.

With these food habits combined with physical exercise or yoga will guarantee a life free from  depression.

What I feel depression has nothing to with age and if you feel people in elderly age have no worries to face, I feel that is not entirely true. Problems are ones personal matter which could happen in any age. But everything depends on how one handles them. I also feel a careful handling of situation can keep one away from depression and help enjoy the life normally. 

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

Acute Stress, lack of certain vitamins especially vitamin B 12, leading a lonely life, leading an idle life, long term medical problems, rejection by children, are some of the reasons which can bring depression in old age. These days good psychological advice and medicines can help overcome depression.

suni51 wrote:

What I feel depression has nothing to with age and if you feel people in elderly age have no worries to face, I feel that is not entirely true. Problems are ones personal matter which could happen in any age. But everything depends on how one handles them. I also feel a careful handling of situation can keep one away from depression and help enjoy the life normally. 

yes depression has nothing with age, we can see a person of 90 years have not problem of depression but a 25 young have it. But some what it is also true at present when join family system is removing than loneliness may be cause of depression for older. 

In fact the stage of depression is related when a person finds that nothing is working according to his own choice which is possible in any age and nothing to do with elderly in particular.

In old age depression strikes especially because many of them have no one around them to talk to and no one to understand them. Another point is when elderly people are not at all ready to adjust with the situation and also with the younger generation then it leads them to depression. Usually, younger generation is blamed for not giving time and they live their life according to their choice but I feel that's an injustice made to the young ones. Every generation needs to understand each other. Expecting the young ones to sacrifice everything then it is asking for too much. Depression caused by ailment is different but caused due to lack of understanding and ego hassle is very problematic to deal with. 

shampasaid

Depression is a state of mind that affects all people t some time or the other regardless of age ! We all feel depressed at times but this is also a temporary feeling that goes away with time and changed circumstances. There are some older people who feel depressed because of reduced physical strength and increased ailments especially when they have led an active life before. It again depends on their own ability to tackle it and not become negative.This is where group activities help.

Sometime back I visited an old age home run by a Christian organisation in Bangalore and spent a lot of time , interacting with the people there. Some were single and three were a few couples too. They all seemed very happy and contented living there although they had many personal problems, which in fact had brought them there .The reason was being together in a group and making friends and sharing their feelings with each other and taking part in group activities.They felt useful being there since they all voluntarily took up some activities on a rota basis. The whole place looked clean, well kept and well looked after !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

There are several reasons that  trigger depression. What i observed was there are people who  who think about the past as well as their future. . Living in the present is the best bet to avoid depression. Indulging in an activity will divert your attention. And this is the best remedy for depression.

In fact, I am a member of an old age home run by my brother in law in the city where we visit often. Most of the inmates are elderly people and most of them from good families as the home is on contributory system. Some of them are couples and some others live alone. The fact that some of them stay calm and with no worries despite the facts they have been grossly neglected by their families . So it all depends on ones mental makeup which may differ from person to person.

Very true. It is one's way of thinking and how the life's is seen makes a difference. During old age, generally grown up children leave the home in search of livelihood. And girls get married. This separation from their kin for the parents leads to depression in the old age, even though they have enough money. But I have seen many old people recover fast thinking that associations and separations are the part of life. This way of viewing the life in its true colors will make a big difference.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.