Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Rational thinking for me is a natural trait as far as I'm concerned. I found the wastage of money spent on religious  functions  could have been spent on education which this country badly needs.These rationalistic thoughts are deeply twined with my life. At the same time, I will not deliver lectures on a platform accusing believers. Even in my own family we are poles apart. She is a believer, But I always made way to her beliefs. I do not chant the Mantra of Rationalism  day in day out. But I do whatever I could do in my own realm for the education of poor boys and girls living in the slums.  I teach art twice in a week.

My Rationalism and my efforts to boost education go parallel.They never interfere with each other.

usha manohar wrote:

Rational thinking is not something that is learnt, it is internal and a personality trait that gets developed as one grows ..There are no set rationalistic ideas because even a person who thinks he is rational may seem irrational to others at times ..So, essentially the more you brand yourself and slot yourself the more irrational you and your attitude looks because it is not natural.

One does not become a rationalist just by proclaiming so. a rationalist is one who thinks independently to arrive at a conclusion. Also, he must not be rigid. He should be ready to listen to conflicting views and change himself if his prior views prove wrong.  

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Gulshan Kumar Ajmani wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

Rational thinking is not something that is learnt, it is internal and a personality trait that gets developed as one grows ..There are no set rationalistic ideas because even a person who thinks he is rational may seem irrational to others at times ..So, essentially the more you brand yourself and slot yourself the more irrational you and your attitude looks because it is not natural.

One does not become a rationalist just by proclaiming so. a rationalist is one who thinks independently to arrive at a conclusion. Also, he must not be rigid. He should be ready to listen to conflicting views and change himself if his prior views prove wrong.

That I'm not rigid and do not force my views on Rationalistic thinking, have been revealed earlier in this thread And I'm ready to correct myself whenever my Rationalistic views are one sided or wrong. Rational thinking is used for my own self. It is another branch of learning in which I have interest.

Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani
Gulshan Kumar Ajmani wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

Very true, a true rationalist is one who is broadminded enough to listen to all points of view and not being judgmental and rigid about anything ...I have a neighbor who in my opinion is a true liberated rationalist. He has a beard and a pigtail like most south Indian temple priests have and one can easily mistake him for a radical Hindu. It is only when you speak and have interactions with him that you realise how sane and up to date his views are on any issue ! So, we cannot go by the appearance nor by the background of the person..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani

The real problem lies in the fact, believers think a Rationalist is a menace to the Society. Contrary to this, a Rationalist spreads his message that blind beliefs and religion based superstitions are more dangerous to the Society.

The dictionary definition of Rationalism is the  principle of basing opinions on reasoning and knowledge rather than on religious beliefs and emotional response.

An ideal Rationalist never resorts to heckling and ridiculing or using force his ways on Believers. I'm of the opinion that such activities are heinous and unaccepted. Further, a real Rationalist gives way to believers' thoughts and their practices.

Rationalists in India create more problems than solve them , it is best that people keep their rationality to themselves and let others make their own decisions unless asked for advise...Too much of preaching and a high nosed attitude has become the trade mark of a branded rationalist, no wonder people tend to look at them with doubt ! There are many people who are very rational without going around calling themselves one and one is better off with such sane minded people who preach less and act more and are admired for that ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

A true Rationalist never interferes with others way of life, their behavior and beliefs. I always ensure this. Even my close friends are not aware about my rationalistic views. Because, I never revealed. Many a time, when my other friends who too are like me call for a public Rationalist meet, I flatly refuse. But, yes I take part in a private gathering, where only people with rational views like me attend.to discuss.

I wonder how people can brand themselves as rationalists , it should be others who interact with them , that conclude whether a person is rational in his thinking or deeds , not the other way round where a person himself or herself thinks he or she is a rationalist ...

It is true that nos. of temples has no relevance with the nos. of educational institutes. But here, I wish to draw kind attention of my friends to the fact that we have been attaching more importance to our religion than educating ourselves and our offsprings. Worshipping is required for our spirituality but for our development, we need education too in the same terms.

Thank you said by: rambabu

Education makes you think. Opens floodgate to new avenues. This in turn widens your knowledge base. It is required in the present scenario of Globalization, where knowledge is the only criteria to shoot ahead in life.And help your country

I contribute to your opinion that educating self has to be given  top priority than religious education.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.