Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

There is rule of compulsory voting in some countries with penalty imposed on non-voters but in India we cannot expect that as citizens have their own problems to solve before reaching to a polling booth. Some are hungry so they have make arrangements for their family gets a meal. Some others are scared while some are out for a job a business. First, provide them good living conditions before asking for their vote. What if everyone went and opted for NOTA as their choice?

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

If everyone chooses to reject all Candidates using NOTA, none will get elected, which defeats the purpose of election. This in turn leads to re election, which will consume a major chunk of the taxpayer's money

rambabu wrote:

If everyone chooses to reject all Candidates using NOTA, none will get elected, which defeats the purpose of election. This in turn leads to re election, which will consume a major chunk of the taxpayer's money

This is very unlikely that every one will reject all candidates. We have party system and can reasonably expect that the candidates will get votes of at least party members and firm party supporters. The candidate getting more votes will be elected. The NOTA is not considered. A candidate will be elected even if NOTA gets more votes than others. 

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

In case NOTA gets more votes than candidates then I think their has to be a repoll where those candidates will not be permitted to stand.

usha manohar wrote:

Making voting compulsory is not democratic since one cannot force things..However, more awareness is needed and encouragement like being able to cast their votes online etc should be looked into. Giving a holiday is not the best option since many office goers go on holiday raher than wait to cast their vote..

if people don't vote than how democracy survived. Our constitution give us some right but also define some duties. Voting is also our duty.

Gulshan Kumar Ajmani wrote:

Compulsory voting is undemocratic. Many may not like to vote for any available candidate. That is why NOTA has been introduced. People should be encouraged to vote but this should be by persuasion rather than compulsion. If I am compelled to vote against my will, most probably, I shall vote NOTA, which serves no purpose.

If peoples not like to vote because they don't like candidates than they have NOTA option. After it I think no reason for non casting votes.  

people resist any thing that is made compulsory. Encouraging people to vote is better policy. In fact the per cent  of voters is on the rise every election.

True.The number of voters are rising. Instead of encouraging, it helps a lot if the awareness in the voter is created by holding regular awareness programmes even in the non election periods.

Sometimes emergency arises such as a voter may suddenly fall very ill, may need to travel urgently or something else, in that case there should be at least an alternative arrangement. Exceptions cannot be ruled out but with an alternative arrangement there will be undoubtedly an increase in voting rate. 

shampasaid

Besides Alternative arrangements, a Voter should be educated for creating awareness on the importance of exercising franchise in a democratic country. This awareness is absent in most of the people in remote rural regions.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.