Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
anil wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

Happy New Year to you too Anil, although we will be celebrating our New Year on Gudhi Padwa on 8th April this year.

Gudhi Padwa, Chetichand or New smawat, name is differ but celebration is same. We all celebrate and enjoy this day.. 

Oh Ok, since you started this thread two days ago, I thought you were celebrating it that day. 

NO I will celebrate it on 8th April with Ghat Satpana. 8th April is 1st Navratra. Some members of my family keeps fast on this day. It will our celebration. I started this topic because we least know Vikram Samwat and Vikrmaditya who established it. In this way we know some more about it.

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
Shampa Sadhya wrote:

On 14th April it is the first day of Baisakh according to Bengali calendar which will be celebrated as the Bengali New Year and the day is known as Poila Baisakh. Poila means first. So, every region will celebrate their New Year around the same time, I suppose. Thus, Happy New Year to all!

Baisakh of Begal is celebrated in Punjab as Baisakhi. It is important festival of Punjab. It is time when farmers are harvesting their crops. 

anil wrote:
Shampa Sadhya wrote:

On 14th April it is the first day of Baisakh according to Bengali calendar which will be celebrated as the Bengali New Year and the day is known as Poila Baisakh. Poila means first. So, every region will celebrate their New Year around the same time, I suppose. Thus, Happy New Year to all!

Baisakh of Begal is celebrated in Punjab as Baisakhi. It is important festival of Punjab. It is time when farmers are harvesting their crops. 

Harvest festival is an annual celebration, which occurs around the time of main harvesting of a given region. Given regional differences in climates and crops, harvest festivals can be found at various times through out India. Onam and Vishu are the agricultural festivals celebrated in Kerala. Sankranti or Makar Sankranti are the harvesting festivals in my state AP.

Shampa Sadhya wrote:

Happy New Year to you as well...We too celebrate New Year which we call as Ugadi on the 14th of April..Normally we decorate the front door  with flowers and mango leaves to usher in the new year and have a vegetarian meal. The special dish we make on this day is a Payasam made with green gram dhal, tender cashew nuts and jaggery ..expressionless.png

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

rambabu wrote:
anil wrote:
Shampa Sadhya wrote:

Harvest festival is an annual celebration, which occurs around the time of main harvesting of a given region. Given regional differences in climates and crops, harvest festivals can be found at various times through out India. Onam and Vishu are the agricultural festivals celebrated in Kerala. Sankranti or Makar Sankranti are the harvesting festivals in my state AP.

Makar Sankarnti (14 January) is celebrated in most of part of country. But here in North it not  harvest festival. It is holy festival. Rajasthan is popular for kiting on this festival.

anil wrote:
rambabu wrote:
anil wrote:
Shampa Sadhya wrote:

Makar Sankarnti (14 January) is celebrated in most of part of country. But here in North it not  harvest festival. It is holy festival. Rajasthan is popular for kiting on this festival.

In my state Makar Sankranti is celebrated as a harvest festival Flying Kites on Sankranti is a major attraction in my state too.

rambabu wrote:
anil wrote:
rambabu wrote:
anil wrote:
Shampa Sadhya wrote:

In my state Makar Sankranti is celebrated as a harvest festival Flying Kites on Sankranti is a major attraction in my state too.

Here in North crops don't ready for harvesting in January. January is month of cold. So here Makar Sankranti is religious festival.

anil wrote:
rambabu wrote:
anil wrote:
rambabu wrote:
anil wrote:
Shampa Sadhya wrote:

Here in North crops don't ready for harvesting in January. January is month of cold. So here Makar Sankranti is religious festival.

Please have a look above, where in I said because of regional differences in climates and crops, Harvest festivals can be found at various times through out India. In AP, the  main crop is rice. because of moderate cold in AP,suits very well for rice cultivation

usha manohar wrote:
Shampa Sadhya wrote:

Happy New Year to you as well...We too celebrate New Year which we call as Ugadi on the 14th of April..Normally we decorate the front door  with flowers and mango leaves to usher in the new year and have a vegetarian meal. The special dish we make on this day is a Payasam made with green gram dhal, tender cashew nuts and jaggery ..expressionless.png

We are celebrating Gudhi Padwa today which normally falls on 14th April each year, but it is for the first time, at least as far as I remember, that we are celebrating it today on 8th! We decorate a long bamboo staff with new cloth, garland of flowers, a specially made garland of sugar medallions, a branch of Neem leaves with its new flowers, a branch of mango leaves and top it up with a copper or silver lota on which swastik is drawn using kumkum. This staff is then put up outside our homes, also called as 'Brahma Dhwaj" it marks the beginning of Shalivahan Shak, as a day to mark the victory of King Shalivahan over the shakas.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Happy new year to all.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.