There are some sections of people demanding uniform personal law. Apparently, govt. have no such plan but now it is proposed to review all personal laws with a view to modify certain provisions for safeguarding women's interests. 

https://in.news.yahoo.com/wcd-draft-policy-seeks-review-015600677.html

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

In my views there is nothing like personal law but the rule of the land is supreme and same for everyone. If they allow a personal law based on cast and religion then it should be implicated word by word as written in a religious book. How can you allow one and deny the other? The rule that says about divorce and marriages also says about adultery and theft. 

There is a saying in our language - "Meetha Meetha Gupp and Kadva kadva Thoo". That means you eat what you find sweet but you spit out what is sour. No way.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

Most secular parties and people are ll for a Uniform civil code and personal law except a few communal parties that have not implemented it even when they had the opportunity to so, and their supporters are against it  They also make sure that no one implements it by spreading falsehood about a law that actually gives equal right to all the citizens of this country like in Goa, where this has been implemented and being followed..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Personal law is the law of the land. In India, we have the dubious distinction of being the ONLY country in the world with the dual personal law. This is unacceptable and is a result of the Congress party and its vote bank politics. The situation is now pretty bad and the Muslim Law board  has the temerity to say that Indian Supreme Court cannot adjudicate on any matter mentioned in Sharia. This I am afraid is sowing the seeds of separation and another 50 years down the line anything is possible.  The matter  also appears to be out of hands of Modi, who has allowed this to linger for 2 years. Such actions are like surgery and if you wait for votes and consensus, nothing will happen.

usha manohar wrote:

Most secular parties and people are ll for a Uniform civil code and personal law except a few communal parties that have not implemented it even when they had the opportunity to so, and their supporters are against it  They also make sure that no one implements it by spreading falsehood about a law that actually gives equal right to all the citizens of this country like in Goa, where this has been implemented and being followed..

After Nehru missed the bus in enforcing UCC nd allowed Muslims to be governed by Sharia in personal law, the cohesiveness of India is at stake.  There cannot be two laws in one nation. We should take a leaf out of the book of China and Turkey. China has even  banned fasting during Ramadan as against health and Muslim world is silent including their ally Pakistan. I am afraid I am not only a pragmatic man, but a realist. I do not think Modi can enforce UCC. Watch what I write now. This issue will simmer and Modi may have to pay a heavy price for inactivity on this and other matters. Look at Donald Trump. He articulates what the majority of Americans want. He is not concerned about the world and Islamic states. No chance of this happening in India.

That should be the attitude of Modi too. Unless, one is strong willed and daring, nothing can be achieved. Modi should rule the Country with an Iron fist and Steel Will.

Can anyone throw light on the Special Marriage Act? I wonder if I am correct in stating that it could be a form of UCC for those willing to opt out of their personal laws. It has no religious bias and in fact is religion neutral.

The Special Marriage act was passed in 1954 and took effect from 1Jan 55. It is a revised form of an earlier British law proposed in 1872 . the law is applicable to all Indians and is a civil contract and no ceremony is required. However, the law Suo Moto is only voluntary and covers those who wish to marry outside their religion.It has no teeth and is a legislation proposed by the "Goraji" English to help Indians. It should have  formed the basis of UCC but Nehru chickened out and now we know where we stand with even Modi only talking and not acting.

rambabu wrote:

That should be the attitude of Modi too. Unless, one is strong willed and daring, nothing can be achieved. Modi should rule the Country with an Iron fist and Steel Will.

Rule with " Iron fist and steel"  is missing. He has compromised at every stage. The latest is his somersault on resrvation where he has sanctioned reservation beyond 50% in 3 BJP ruled states Haryana, Rajasthan and Gujarat. Modi is only trying to finish all opposition by going after Sonia and Rahul I am afraid his priority should be leading the nation forward like Lincoln, Sun Yat Sen and Moustapha kemel. Here he has achieved zero, even in nailingCongress party. Rememebr he was shouting from roof tops that he will send"Jijaji"(Vadera) to jail and 2 years ON, nothing has happened to Vadera who two weeks back in a group game which I also was a part played golf at Delhi golf club. Please read my post

https://www.boddunan.com/articles/miscellaneous/51-general-reference/24957-has-narendra-modi-missed-his-date-with-history.html

vijay wrote:

Can anyone throw light on the Special Marriage Act? I wonder if I am correct in stating that it could be a form of UCC for those willing to opt out of their personal laws. It has no religious bias and in fact is religion neutral.

I agree. But this will be performed generally in inter caste and inter religion marriages. I don't think that we can ignore the existence and status of religious communities with distinct identity and culture. Uniform civil code  is ruled out in view of diversity of culture, customs and religious practices. I am sure that even the ruling alliance will not dare to bring so called uniform civil code, which is nothing but an attempt to thrust Hindu law on all.  I goes without saying that saffron forces have got the maximum mileage in recent period and if they cannot even now dare even to initiate so called uniform civil code, build Ram janm Bhoomi temple and change the special status of Kashmir,  they will create only frustration within their own ranks with all consequential affects. 

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

"uniform civil code, which is nothing but an attempt to thrust Hindu law on all."

This is taken from the comment by revered Mr. Ajmaniji. I address to him now .@Ajmaniji, I have a lot of respect for you.  Can you justify what you have written? You know even Muslims don't say this and surprisingly you write such trashy comments. Best of luck to you.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.