We have seen in India there is lot of discrimination on basis of language. If you go to Andhra or Telangana then Telugu people will be preferred if you go to Tamil Nadu then Tamil speaking people are given preference. Similarly in Karnataka - Kannada speaking people and in West Bengal -Bengali speaking people are given preference. Do you think that there should be common language of communication in India so that everyone has a single language of communication which will increase unity among all ??

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

There is actually no need for a common language as such if all the people, especially from South change their mindset. Hindi and English are widely spoken and knowing these languages will get you fairly well anywhere in India. However, what I have noticed about people from South (no offence intended) is that they have a strong dislike for Hindi and any other language apart from their own but will welcome English, this needs to change and they need to learn Hindi as well as other languages if they can.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: arjun sai

Hindi and English are the common languages that are being spoken and hence may not need a new common language.

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

There is actually no need for a common language as such if all the people, especially from South change their mindset. Hindi and English are widely spoken and knowing these languages will get you fairly well anywhere in India. However, what I have noticed about people from South (no offence intended) is that they have a strong dislike for Hindi and any other language apart from their own but will welcome English, this needs to change and they need to learn Hindi as well as other languages if they can.

Why I have raised this topic here is because when I was working in Kolkata and Hyderabad the locals were very rude to us (Hindi speaking people). They used to talk very harshly and the auto used to charge very high rates from us. Even the local coconut wala or cab driver used to talk impolitely. That was one of the reasons why I moved from Hyderabad. There was also the news that in Karnataka the locals defaced all the boards and hoarding which were written in Hindi. How will those people feel if we remove English from all hoarding and keep only Hindi ?

I think Hindi is only language which every Indian can speak and understand. It is right that South Indian have problem with Hindi. Bollywood movies is like in whole India. When South Indian likes Hindi movies than what is problem with Hindi speaking peoples.

anil wrote:

I think Hindi is only language which every Indian can speak and understand. It is right that South Indian have problem with Hindi. Bollywood movies is like in whole India. When South Indian likes Hindi movies than what is problem with Hindi speaking peoples.

Very good point . Many people suffer a lot due to language in South states. Mostly local people with talk with Hindi speaking people in very harsh tone and they make fun in their local language. But if anyone coming from South India in our neighbourhood in my home town then my mother used to treat them very well in a special VIP way by making special north Indian dishes and sweets for  them and inviting them to north Indian functions. 

arjun sai wrote:
anil wrote:

Very good point . Many people suffer a lot due to language in South states. Mostly local people with talk with Hindi speaking people in very harsh tone and they make fun in their local language. But if anyone coming from South India in our neighbourhood in my home town then my mother used to treat them very well in a special VIP way by making special north Indian dishes and sweets for  them and inviting them to north Indian functions. 

Yes it is right that we North Indian never make fun of South Indian if they come to us. Most of nurses in North India are from South, I think they have not any problem from us. Biggest reason behind this attitude of South Indian is that we North Indian take South Indian our peoples but South Indian are not taking North Indian as their own peoples.

arjun sai wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

Why I have raised this topic here is because when I was working in Kolkata and Hyderabad the locals were very rude to us (Hindi speaking people). They used to talk very harshly and the auto used to charge very high rates from us. Even the local coconut wala or cab driver used to talk impolitely. That was one of the reasons why I moved from Hyderabad. There was also the news that in Karnataka the locals defaced all the boards and hoarding which were written in Hindi. How will those people feel if we remove English from all hoarding and keep only Hindi ?

While it is a fact that nearly 43 percent of Indian population speak Hindi , the trouble with language started because of the manner in which it was used as a tool by the politicians. Hindi is the official language but English , because of the spread of education has become much more popular as the link language across India. Since we all study and speak English, there is nothing wrong with it . 

As far as South Indian s hating Hindi , it is because of the manner in which it was imposed by the politicians and Hindi speaking people who refuse to learn the local language even after living in places like Bangalore for more than a decade or sometimes all their life which is never the case with south Indians living in the north. They don't expect a Rajasthani or a Punjabi to speak Kannada or Tamil , but take the trouble to learn Hindi and speak to then in hindi . That is the difference ..

As far as blackening the metro boards are concerned, you seem to have got half information. Initially the boards carried 2 languages English and Kannada , which was fine. But the central government insisted on adding Hindi which was accepted. But when the new boards appeared,  Kannada , the local language had been left out and the boards carried only English and Hindi which definitely made everyone angry and there were protests. There is a limit to everything and when you are expected to bend backwards to accommodate others with no reciprocation , there will be revolt which is what is happening in southern states , all of which have been more than accommodating with no reciprocation from the Northern states. . It is better to introspect rather than criticize without thoroughly going into the matter. There is no reaction without action !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

usha manohar wrote:
arjun sai wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

While it is a fact that nearly 43 percent of Indian population speak Hindi , the trouble with language started because of the manner in which it was used as a tool by the politicians. Hindi is the official language but English , because of the spread of education has become much more popular as the link language across India. Since we all study and speak English, there is nothing wrong with it . 

As far as South Indian s hating Hindi , it is because of the manner in which it was imposed by the politicians and Hindi speaking people who refuse to learn the local language even after living in places like Bangalore for more than a decade or sometimes all their life which is never the case with south Indians living in the north. They don't expect a Rajasthani or a Punjabi to speak Kannada or Tamil , but take the trouble to learn Hindi and speak to then in hindi . That is the difference ..

As far as blackening the metro boards are concerned, you seem to have got half information. Initially the boards carried 2 languages English and Kannada , which was fine. But the central government insisted on adding Hindi which was accepted. But when the new boards appeared,  Kannada , the local language had been left out and the boards carried only English and Hindi which definitely made everyone angry and there were protests. There is a limit to everything and when you are expected to bend backwards to accommodate others with no reciprocation , there will be revolt which is what is happening in southern states , all of which have been more than accommodating with no reciprocation from the Northern states. . It is better to introspect rather than criticize without thoroughly going into the matter. There is no reaction without action !

I agree to this point of view to much extent but the situation created by politicians should not impact the relationship between the citizens of India. That is the reason that politicians are able to incite people against each other due to which riots occur. Punishment for misdeeds of politicians should not be given to regular citizens. 

arjun sai wrote:
usha manohar wrote:
arjun sai wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

I agree to this point of view to much extent but the situation created by politicians should not impact the relationship between the citizens of India. That is the reason that politicians are able to incite people against each other due to which riots occur. Punishment for misdeeds of politicians should not be given to regular citizens. 

I guess you are unable to analyse the ground realities , so let us leave at that...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

anil wrote:

Hindi is not spoken or understood by majority of the people in south or in Northeast. Liking a movie doesn't mean that the person understand or speaks that language. Nowadays with subtitles provided for movies, its possible for a person to enjoy that movie without understanding a word. For that matter, movies from South Korea, Thailand are a rage in Manipur though hardly anyone understand these languages.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.