A five-judge Constitution bench of the Supreme Court Thursday unanimously ruled to scrap Section 497, which deals with adultery, of the Indian Penal Code (IPC). Now adultery is not crime. But for me this decision is opponent.

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

I have to read about it. I missed on this news. Adultery is not good in a relationship and has social and moral stigma attached to it but if seen on a broader prospect can not be grouped under criminal offence. If it results in to murder, kidnapping or any other cases then it can be considered otherwise. I have to read and come back.

I am open to experience what life's mystery bag holds for me

www.arunimakunwar.blogspot.in

Even though adultery is not a crime, if people follow this practice this can create bad feelings for their spouse or children. Because while having some extramarital affair people generally ignore their duties towards their children or family which is equivalent to a crime because foremost duty of the person is to look after their family. But now a days extramarital affair is common in metro cities because in many cases the wife lives in some city and husband is in different city.  I myself have seen few cases myself in IT sector.  

There has been more than enough adultery in our society , so there is no point in pretending  otherwise. A man could have multiple wives and it is accepted as a man's prerogative. If a married woman has an affair with other men , she is condemned , even when it is the case if a married man having an adulterous relationship, it is the woman who is blamed , so much for our double standard s!!!! Thank God  our Apex court is being sensible about the issue ...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

usha manohar wrote:

There has been more than enough adultery in our society , so there is no point in pretending  otherwise. A man could have multiple wives and it is accepted as a man's prerogative. If a married woman has an affair with other men , she is condemned , even when it is the case if a married man having an adulterous relationship, it is the woman who is blamed , so much for our double standard s!!!! Thank God  our Apex court is being sensible about the issue ...

Hindu marriage act not allowed multiple wives. For me affairs of married men and women both are crime. It is against our tradition and culture.

arjun sai wrote:

Even though adultery is not a crime, if people follow this practice this can create bad feelings for their spouse or children. Because while having some extramarital affair people generally ignore their duties towards their children or family which is equivalent to a crime because foremost duty of the person is to look after their family. But now a days extramarital affair is common in metro cities because in many cases the wife lives in some city and husband is in different city.  I myself have seen few cases myself in IT sector.  

Adultery is not crime in eye of law but it is against our social system. In our society marriage is holy relation. If adultery will make a legal one than it will damage our social system.

Thank you said by: arjun sai

Many people fear that this law would encourage adultery. But if the relationship between a husband and wife is strong, not withstanding this law, the relationship should remain intact. 

Blaming this law is akin to saying that people has refrained from indulging in adultery due to fear of law. I believe that marriage should be based on trust. The partners should not indulge in adultery because they believe in the sanctity of marriage and not because the law make it a crime.

jabeen wrote:

Many people fear that this law would encourage adultery. But if the relationship between a husband and wife is strong, not withstanding this law, the relationship should remain intact. 

Blaming this law is akin to saying that people has refrained from indulging in adultery due to fear of law. I believe that marriage should be based on trust. The partners should not indulge in adultery because they believe in the sanctity of marriage and not because the law make it a crime.

Exactly my thoughts ...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Marriage is not a commercial agreement. It is union of two hearts. It is our believes that marriage is decided in haven. Mutual trust is base of marriage. I think law is not capable in strong bonding between boy and girl.

Whether marriages are made in heaven or not is debatable and is just a belief . As Human society  evolved ,  the institution of marriage and family too evolved. Earlier human beings we're polygamous / polyandrous. No doubt that marriage gives stability and security to the family besides strengthening our relationships. However , nothing is perfect and with some men openly flouting their second or third families regardless of religion , most people prefer to pretend not to know and look away , a typical attitude of our society. Now at least the Supreme Court has hit where it hurts the most because there are rights that a woman can claim when she is forced into an adulterous relationship and a man too would take care because he cannot wash his hands off and move on like he did before. The court has made sure that each individual take responsibility for their actions.

usha manohar wrote:

Whether marriages are made in heaven or not is debatable and is just a belief . As Human society  evolved ,  the institution of marriage and family too evolved. Earlier human beings we're polygamous / polyandrous. No doubt that marriage gives stability and security to the family besides strengthening our relationships. However , nothing is perfect and with some men openly flouting their second or third families regardless of religion , most people prefer to pretend not to know and look away , a typical attitude of our society. Now at least the Supreme Court has hit where it hurts the most because there are rights that a woman can claim when she is forced into an adulterous relationship and a man too would take care because he cannot wash his hands off and move on like he did before. The court has made sure that each individual take responsibility for their actions.

No question on it that marriages are made in heaven is belief like many other beliefs. These belief is give us moral strength and also suggest to respect relations. Every thing have exception. It is our culture that even wife know that her husband have relation with other women, but always keep shut her mouth for shake of her family and children. If both men and women are serious for relation here is no need of any law.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.