Heavy Drinkers Have Worse Health Care Habits

Risky drinkers are less likely to take good care of themselves, a new study has found.

Buzz up!
More than 7,884 members participated the survey, which was conducted as a part of the study. The survey proved that the risky drinkers have the attitudes and practices that may adversely affect their long-term health and that people who drink at hazardous levels are less likely than the other categories of drinkers, to seek routine medical care.

Risky drinking was defined in three different ways to account for both short and long-term alcohol-related risks: 1) those who, on average, drank three or more drinks per day, 2) women who consumed four or more drinks during one sitting, or men who drank five or more drinks during one sitting and 3) people identified as at-risk drinkers using a commonly used screening tool.

The risky drinkers will be engaged in other behaviors, too - such as relieving stress with alcohol and cigarettes
, not wearing seat-belts, unhealthy eating and not regularly seeing their doctors, that put their health at risk. So the physicians will be generally concerned about the patients' other health related practices in additional to the heavy drinking. Those factors include diet, exercise, stress management, sleep practices, seat belt use, income, education, obesity, as well as feelings about seeing the doctor, skepticism toward medical care, and attitudes about personal ability to influence health.

People who drank the most, will be less collaborative relationships with their doctors and are more likely to be reluctant going to the doctor. They will be less confident to change their own health-related practices and more likely to think that health is a matter of good fortune.

The study is the first to examine the relationship between drinking patterns and health, while taking into account a wide-range of other factors that might influence that relationship.

The study also says that moderate drinking is associated with the better health. People who drank one to three drinks daily, reported slightly better health than all other categories of drinkers, including life-long abstainers, former drinkers, light drinkers (less than one drink a day) and heavier drinkers (three or more drinks per day). People participated in the survey, who drank moderately were also more likely to have better health-related attitudes and practices, and more likely to seek routine medical care. The study proved that there is an independent relationship between moderate drinking and better self-assessed health.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
I support this information, I am not a drinker, but I know many of heavy drinker (some of them are die) and light drinker (all of them are living good life).
Thanks for providing the information neetu but i need nt have to worry as i dont drink.. ;) :lol: :)
Harshil wrote:
[quote]I support this information, I am not a drinker, but I know many of heavy drinker (some of them are die) and light drinker (all of them are living good life).[/quote]....

not just you .....one vote from my side too harshil.....
Vijay Mallya says he is benefitted a lot by Indians' drinking. Vijay Mallya is an Indian. So it does have benefits
I don't support drinking at all. No matter heavy or light it is not good for health.

Thanks for the information,Neetu. :) :)
Now a days it is very common to see young people drink in the name of so called "corporate culture". :(
It's definitely a health hazard and a great menace to our society.Just look at the number of hooch tragedies which occur in India claiming the lives of the poor people.
The study examined data from 1,824 adults aged between 55 and 65 years. They were all former or current drinkers over the past 20 years, reports the Daily Mail.They discovered that the heavy drinkers had a 42 percent higher risk of dying in a 20-year follow-up compared to moderate drinkers, says a University of Texas release.
It does not require any study to know that moderation in life is the best way to ward off many hazards!!
I dont support drinking at all....

Maybe its light or heavy...
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.