Health Benefits of Surya Namaskar

The simple Surya Namaskar that has been practiced in India for years has recently found a whole lot of takers.

And if you want a good start to your day, what better than the Surya Namaskar, which is known to have a host of health benefits. There are 12 different poses to do in a Surya Namaskar and you’re known to have finished a complete round when you’ve performed two consecutive sets.

- You don’t need to be doing yoga regularly in order to practice the Surya Namaskar. If performed correctly, this exercise does not strain or cause injury. If performed in the morning, it relieves stiffness, revitalises your body and refreshes the mind. Do it during the day and it will instantly boost you up, practice it after sundown and it helps you unwind.

- Not only does the Surya Namaskar give you a great stretch and keep you fit physically (it is extremely beneficial for your joints, ligaments and improves flexibility and posture), but is also does wonders for your mental and emotional health.

- Surya Namaskar stimulates almost every system in your body - the cardiovascular system because it keeps the heart strong and, the digestive system as well as the nervous system.

- It also makes endocrinal glands like the thyroid, parathyroid and pituitary glands, function normally.

- Practising the Surya Namaskar regularly is also known to ease stress and give you peace of mind besides increasing your levels of concentration.

- If you have trouble sleeping at night, the Surya Namaskar will help you fall asleep without using any external stimulants.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Thanks Neetu for sharing news and benefits of surya namaskar.I thought it is just a practice or custom followed by people. :) :)
It's so ancient and its benefits are both physical as well as mental.Thanks Dr.Neetu!
I think it is part of Yoga...which is done from ancient times...Thanks for the information Neetu .. :P :) sorry Dr.Neetu..
The mantra to be chanted during surya namaskara:

Om Mitraaya Namah
Om Ravaye Namah
Om Sooryaya Namah
Om Bhaanave Namah

Om Khagaaya Namah
Om Pooshne Namah
Om Hiranya Garbhaaya Namah
Om Mareechaye Namah
Om Aadityaaya Namah
Om Savitre Namah
Om Arkaaya Namah
Om Bhaaskaraya Namah
Om Sri Savitra Soorya Narayanaaya Namah
Oh,that's great,Nagalakhmi! Thanks for adding mantras to this thread!
thanks nagalakshmi for sharing this mantra............i was not aware of it.....
Yes Nagalakshmi... Thats true.. :)

These Surya Namaskaras acn be done at sunrise and also at sunset...
This gives good health also..

Thanks 'n' Regards,
Deepti.
coplete body and mind workout.
complete body and mind workout.
Thanks neetu for sharing this..... but i m very lazy getting up in the morning..... reading this i really feels that should wake up early....
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.