The eat-all-you-want guide to oral health

to keep enjoying food all your life, you must care for your teeth seriously. Brushing twice a day is where it starts but there is more you need to do. Dr Ashok Dhoble, hon. Secretary General, Indian Dental Association gives this short guide to help you enjoy all your favorite sweets without worrying about cavities.

Identify danger foods

Foods high in carbohydrates, sugars and starches greatly contribute to the production of plaque acids that attack tooth enamel. Eventually, these acids can cause tooth enamel to break down, forming a cavity.

So when you want to indulge...

• Eat them with your meal and not in between. Most meals already contain acid-producing ingredients, so the less you expose your teeth to these ingredients, the better.

• Some foods attach more easily to your teeth and produce more plaque. While saliva production rises during meals and helps in ‘rinsing’ your mouth, brushing after meals or even rinsing helps.

• Any food containing fermentable carbohydrates leads to tooth decay. Meaning, along with sweets and confectionery, pasta, rice, potato crisps, fruits, and even bread can cause demineralisation. A study on the acid-producing potential of various starchy foods found that they produced the same amount of acid as a 10 per cent sucrose solution.

• Foods that adhere to the teeth increase the risk of tooth decay. Chips and biscuits stick to teeth for longer periods than caramels and jelly beans. This is because the latter contain soluble sugars that are washed away more quickly by saliva.

Frequency of eating

Each time we nibble on a food or sip a drink containing carbohydrates, any decay-causing bacteria present on the teeth start to produce acid and demineralisation commences. This continues for 20 to 30 minutes after eating or drinking, longer if food debris remains in the mouth.

If food or drink is taken too frequently the tooth enamel does not have a chance to re-mineralise completely and decay can happen. This is why nibbling or sipping continuously throughout the day should be discouraged.

Protective foods

• Some foods help protect against tooth decay. For example hard cheese increases the flow of saliva. Cheese also contains calcium, phosphate and casein, a milk protein, which protects against demineralisation.

• Finishing a meal with a piece of cheese helps counteract acids produced from carbohydrate foods eaten at the same meal.

Food and bad breath

It’s common knowledge that if you have bad breath, you should eat right (getting a balanced diet of protein, carbs, lots of fruits and veggies and plenty of fluids) and brushing and flossing after every meal.

But some foods can actually help promote oral hygiene more than others.

These include:

• Halitosis-fighting herbs like coriander, spearmint, tarragon, eucalyptus, rosemary and cardamom.

• Chew on fresh herbs or make tonics by steeping them in hot water (as a tea). These herbs make an excellent digestive as well.

• A serving of yogurt each day will reduce the level of odor-causing hydrogen sulfide in your mouth. It also cuts back on bacteria in the mouth.

• Crunchy types. Apples, carrots, celery—basically any fiber-rich fruit or vegetable is your friend.

• Eating foods that increase saliva production keep the mouth moist — and rinsed out. Also, many carbs and proteins can get stuck in your teeth—even healthy foods like whole grain cereal

• High C’s. Eating berries, citrus fruits, melons and other vitamin C-rich foods prevent bacteria growth.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Thanks Neetu for providing very comprehensive information on oral health!
Thanks for the tips on oral health.Keep sharing health oriented posts. :) :)
Neetu,any idea on chewing gums like Clorets,and Happy Dent?.Do they really help in preventing tooth decay?
I too got this doubt Nagalakshmi..ORBIt is one of the chewing gums which stops decay but I dont know how efficient they are..Hope neetu can answer...

Thanks for the useful information.
I really cannot stop laughing when i see advertisements related to Happy Dent.That's why i doubt whether it really works?
we sholud follow these health tips so that we can easily get rid of getting simple things in life
Hey that's really a good info on oral health...

Anu. B)

Your one click makes their day, please help them:
http://bhookh.com/
Dr.Neetu,
I am r eposting my doubt as you might have missed it by the flooding replies.Do chewing gums really workout and help us in having decay free tooth?.Please share some information on this. :) :)
nagalakshmi.karunanidhi wrote:
[quote]Dr.Neetu,
I am r eposting my doubt as you might have missed it by the flooding replies.Do chewing gums really workout and help us in having decay free tooth?.Please share some information on this. :) :)[/quote]

sorry nagalakshmi for the late reply.......hope the below mentioned post will clear all your doubts ......

Chewing Sugarless Gum Provides Affordable Protection against Tooth Decay
May 31st, 2010, By Dental Health Magazine Staff

Chewing Sugarless Gum Provides Affordable Protection against Tooth Decay

o Fruit Juice May be Bad for Your Teeth as Soft Drink
o Tips and Techniques for Eliminating Bad Breath
o New Study Says Late Night Snacking is Bad for Your Teeth
o 5 Steps to Good Oral Health
o 10 Foods For Protecting Your Teeth And Gums

Many people may wonder if chewing gum is good or bad for their teeth. While it is true that chewing gum that contains sugar is bad for one’s teeth, there are numerous questions about the impact that the sugar free varieties have on oral health.

Regardless whether you believe it or not, chewing sugarless gum is a convenient, simple defense against tooth decay that also has some additional health benefits for your teeth.

Chewing Gum Can Help Prevent Tooth Decay

Sugarless chewing gum provides an affordable, fun, and effective protection against tooth decay. Sugarless chewing gum increases the flow of saliva in the mouth.

This increase in saliva is important since it contains the antibodies that fight tooth decay. In other words, sugarless chewing gum activates your body’s natural systems against decay, which means that it helps promote a healthy mouth.

Another advantage of chewing gum is that it reduces bad breath. For that your family and friends will thank you.

The Research Is Supported By the Experts

There is research that supports the proposition that sugarless chewing gum can help to reduce tooth decay. During a recent clinical study it was determined that chewing sugarless gum 20 minutes after eating helped to reduce tooth decay.
DENTAL ADVERTISING

Chewing sugarless gum can also help to replace high calorie snacks and therefore play an important role in controlling both food cravings and appetite.

In another recent study, it was shown that chewing sugarless gum during the afternoon greatly reduced the intake of unhealthy snacks. In fact, this study also determined that a decrease of 60 calories resulted by chewing sugarless gum and not consuming a snack in the afternoon.

Even the smallest difference in reducing calorie intake can have a long term impact on well being and physical health. During the study it was found that chewing sugarless gum reduced the hunger levels significantly in the participants.

In addition, chewing sugarless gum helped to maintain energy levels throughout the afternoon and fewer felt sleepy.

While chewing sugarless gum should not replace your daily routine of flossing and brushing, it certainly is an affordable solution to help prevent tooth decay.

Regardless if you just need a quick cleaning between meals or you simply can’t get to a tooth brush, chewing sugarless gum, can help promote healthier, stronger teeth until you do have the time to brush.
Thanks for clarifying Neetu..I could get the answer to my question also..
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.