What are the health benefits of peanuts?

Salted, shelled, raw, roasted, tangy, spicy, unshelled; peanuts are available in variety of forms. Add to that they are almost available everywhere like local trains, on the street side, on beaches, in bars etc as a "Time pass" snack. Not only do peanuts taste good, but they deliver a multitude of health benefits. Some of them can be listed below:

* Good source of monosaturated fats

Peanuts are a very good source of monounsaturated fats, the type of fat that is emphasized in the heart-healthy diet. Mono-unsaturated fats are "good fats" as they decrease risk of cardiovascular disease and lower the noxious LDL (bad cholesterol) responsible for transporting cholesterol to the arteries.
* Good source of antioxidants

Recent research shows that peanuts contain high concentrations of a compound called p-coumaric acid, and that roasting can increase peanuts' p-coumaric acid levels, boosting their overall antioxidant content by as much as 22%.
* Heart healthy nuts

Peanuts feature an array of other nutrients that, in numerous studies, have been shown to promote heart health. Peanuts are good sources of vitamin E, niacin, folate, protein and manganese. In addition, peanuts provide resveratrol, the phenolic antioxidant also found in red grapes and red wine. Resveratrol is thought to be responsible for lowering the risk of heart strokes.
* Aids gastrointestinal health

Peanuts provide enough fiber and water to help keep a person fit. Plant fiber in particular helps keep the good bacteria in the gut well fed so that it can do its job in effectively breaking down the foods we eat. Eating peanuts just a few times a week can prevent the formation of gallstones, and can lower the risk of colon cancer.
* Good source of calcium

Peanuts contain small amount of calcium and vitamin D. Together these two promote good bone health, including healthy teeth. Studies have shown that people, who maintain healthy levels of calcium and vitamin D before age thirty, are less likely to develop osteopenia or osteoporosis later in life.
* Peanuts and Diabetes

If you have type 2 diabetes, or are insulin resistant, peanuts can help. With a low glycemic index rating, peanuts help to regulate the rate at which your sugar and insulin levels rise, after you eat. According to a recent study, consuming a 25 gram serving of peanuts five or more times a week is associated with a whopping 27% reduction in risks associated with developing type 2 diabetes.
* Protects against Alzheimer's and Age-related Cognitive Decline

Research recently published indicates regular consumption of niacin-rich foods like peanuts provides protection against Alzheimer's disease and age-related cognitive decline.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Thanks Neetu for sharing valuable findings on Peanuts and Diabetics.
Thanks neetu for sharing this information on peanuts... Its a wonderful evening snack for me....
Benefits are huge and it is good supplement indeed...Thanks for the information.. :) :)
I love to eat peanuts. I didn't knew that it has so many benefits. Thanks for sharing information with us.

Want to make each day Accountable

Boiled peanuts taste really good when mixed with some chopped onions,salt,chilli powder and little garam masala. :P :P
Since peanuts are high in calories no matter how good the ingredients are, supplement your diet with the antioxidants that are in peanuts. Get yourself a "peanut" supplement, one that has resveratrol, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.

yes, peanut butter is healthy until someone adds the bad stuff to it.

THANKS! THIS REALLY HELPED A LOT! Share with World now

http://share-ask.com/category/peoples-articles-news-now/
Nice timepass receipe shared by Nagalakshmi... :woohoo: I am excited to try that as I never know that before.
Peanuts are indeed the best source of Protein for bodybuilders who are vegetarian. It contains 25% protein as well as many unsaturated fats that are good for heart too. Its oil is equally beneficial.
It's indeed a very rich source of protein and its multifarious benefits have been well outlined and detailed by Neetu and thanks Neetu!
nagalakshmi.karunanidhi wrote:
[quote]Boiled peanuts taste really good when mixed with some chopped onions,salt,chilli powder and little garam masala. :P :P[/quote]

thanks nagalakshmi for sharing this wonderful recipe...i used to have plain boiled peanuts,now i would try our your recipe...
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.