Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Just found this interesting piece of info relating to chess and thought of sharing it with you all!

The invention of Chess has been attributed to the Indians by the Persians. Abu al-Hasan 'Ali al-Mas'udi, an early Islam historian, provided scholarly details of the game as it was played in India and Persia. He details the use of chess as a tool for warfare strategy, mathematical calculations, gambling and even its vague association with astronomy. Mas'udi notes that Ivory was chiefly used for the production of chess and backgammon pieces, and asserts that the game was introduced from India to Persia along with the book Kelileh va Demneh during the reign of Persian emperor Anushirwan.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Wonderful and interesting facts shared by Gulshan and Kalyani.Thank you both. :) :)
Good information provided by both and thanks Kalyani and Gulshan! Those who play this know it's indeed, a war on the 64 squares!!
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
[quote]Yes, chess did originate in India (probably, although I am not sure, its the same as the game of Dyoot that is mentioned in Mahabharata)[/quote]

Dyoot is a sanskrit word. This means 'gamble. Chess is a particular game whereas dyoot means every gambling game.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

In West Bengal the game 'pasha' which used to be very popular among the old was also a variant of chess!
THough the names vary based on different regions the charm of the game is same and I too love it.
It is a brain training game.But its popularity is not so good.

Visit my blogs:

http://abidareacode.blogspot.com
@Abid

Now it is getting very popular and some youngsters are even looking at it as a career option and emergence of so many grand masters is also a proof of this fact!
As Rajani stated though the games have numerous names the essence of the game have not changed.
It's indeed,a very fascinating game and I used to take great interest in it earlier!
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.