Friends all energy gets destroyed except sound. Why sound energy remains alive and keeps moving even in the space?
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
I think atmosphere is the carrier of sound in space.In certain place in space,the atmosphere will be absent and sound cannot be travelled in that condition.
Sound waves travel through space only if the is some medium in that space. Space on Earth is filled with stuff (like air, water, rock, etc.) Sound cannot exist in empty space. Outer space is pretty empty.

Sound travels in waves by making molecules (or atoms) vibrate within the environment they are emitted (water/air). There must be some medium for the vibrations to travel through to stimulate the structures within your ears. Since there are no molecules to vibrate in outer space, sounds have no way to be transfered from the source of the sound. Even if "sound" could exist in space, we would not be able to "hear" it.

Slow and Steady Wins the Race.

We know that sound can travel only through a medium like solid, liquid and gas. Since there is vacuum in space the vibrating body which emits sounds doesn't loose energy to any medium (like air) and hence it continues to be vibrating until all the energy is used up by the vibrating body itself...!
Both Ajay and Sarala said that sound need a medium to travel and they explained it well also . And since space is vacuum, so there is no medium for sound to travel.

I would like to ask one question and that is how scientists identify distant object in outer space using Radio Waves, which uses different wavelengths to create an image of that object?

Another question is, how satellites communicate with Earth, since Satellites are also placed in space(vacuum)?

To support my view that sound travels in space(vacuum) in the form of Radio Waves. Radio waves can travel in vacuum as it convert radio waves in electromagnetic waves. Here is a link which will explain it much better:

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art29542.asp
Nice explanation bySarala and Ajoy. Good informations shared.

www.mobileeduhut.blogspot.in
Friends I agree with all of you but tell me - Why sound does not die?
What I think is for something to die, it must have a physical appearance or content to eventually get destructed or as we say, DIE. Sound per se does not constitute any physical component, it is constituted by vibrations which are generated from other physical things and/or physical, chemical, mechanical phenomena, like clouds thickly charged with water and static electricity when rub against each other, they create thunder claps, which are enormous sound waves. Which is why when things break, they create sound but when those broken parts subside and settle down, they stop emitting any kind of vibrations or waves. So sound waves do die off eventually but sound per se does not die, ever.

I don't know whether anyone can understand what I wrote, but I wrote it as best as I understand how things work. :)

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

The sound waves cannot travel in the space only the light travel through vaccume but not sound

Earn money just for joining in this site.

http://www.money-friends.net/users/profile/en/155119.html

I didn't have the exact answer to the concept that "sound never dies". But it is true that sound never dies. I don't know whether the same theory goes with light also. Based on this concept only we people in Earth have set up several radio communication station with large disc antennae which are transmitting radio signals of different animals,human, songs etc.,to the space in anticipation that some where in outer space some alien or advanced evolution may capture those signals and reciprocate to them. Sound waves signals of more than 50 years have been sent through these stations and are travelling in outer space.This proves that sound never dies. Even scientists have been trying to capture sound waves of past happenings that are present in Earth atmosphere. But why sound wave never dies!!!
Actually nothing dies. Only transformation occurs. Matter is indestructible. There is only change of form- solid may become liquid, liquid transformed to gas and so on. Hence, sound also does not die.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.