I personally do believe, belief in a religion can bring many positive things to our character and improving it very much. Also, prayer help us a lot. I think, we should believe in any religion according to one's faith because belief in God can surely prevent us from doing many mistakes and bad things in our life. Also, every religion teach us to remain patient, forgive others and also attain self control. What is your opinion?

Meera sandhu
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Belief in God or religion does not improve society. The rapists, bandits, cheats, smugglers and various criminals all believe in God or religion. In fact, each has different brand of god to satisfy his need. The bandits pray to 'ma bhawani' before beginning operation. The drunkards worship Baba Bhairav. many criminals believe in Christianity and Islam.

Crimes are social problem. It is necessary to inculcate spirit of social consciousness and identity of individual with whole society, which is super family, to ensure that there are no crimes against society. Indentifying oneself with nation will ensure minimization of crime against nation.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Crimes are happening because they believe, we won't be caught.
But I personally believe, if children from younger age itself, taught good stories of Hindu epics, Bible or Qur'an in a proper way, it can really motivate them to do good things in future....also from childhood itself. What is your opinion about this?

Meera sandhu
Religion essentially should harmonize society.Unfortunately since the dawn of civilization we know of its destructive influences. I don't have faith in organized religions but I have spritual interest which morally uplifts us.Not a set of rites or mantras. Lack of faith in human dharma would give way to a kind of nihilism which I don't find to be acceptable!!If acid has dharma that's properties then human minds too have a dharma that's to live for higher purposes and I need not elaborate what these higher purposes are! What nihilism has given to the world - nothing!!!
No way some people who do not believe in god are not characterless, but at the most you can say that the one who has trust in god try to avoid doing things which he thinks are bad and 'god would punish'

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

It's not the point! There are so many rational people who have their own methods and logic to search for truths and eminently deserve to be respected. What I find absolutely unacceptable that reaching conclusions without enough study. I remember What Nirodh C. Chowdury -an eminent scholar writer of international repute once commented that he turned an agnostic after reading all the scriptures and religious literature but today's youth turn so without ever going through them!!
This is too wide a subject Chinmayda and I am too small a person to have my say on this topic but as far I know religion is widely misused and never taken in its true way.

No way some people who do not believe in god are not characterless, but at the most you can say that the one who has trust in god try to avoid doing things which he thinks are bad and 'god would punish'

Yes, you have quoted one among the points that I have told.

Yet, I want to know whether believing in God can influence a person's character or not.....and prevent him from doing wrong things

Meera sandhu
Depends from person to person. Most people believe in God and do all the dirty things which are not acceptable.

@Sunil

True enough!

@Sandhya

I have tried to answer your central question by taking up the basic question if god and religion are synonymous and then proceeded to explaining its influences on our thoughts and actions!
Religion essentially should harmonize society.Unfortunately since the dawn of civilization we know of its destructive influences. I don't have faith in organized religions but I have spritual interest which morally uplifts us.Not a set of rites or mantras. Lack of faith in human dharma would give way to a kind of nihilism which I don't find to be acceptable!!If acid has dharma that's properties then human minds too have a dharma that's to live for higher purposes and I need not elaborate what these higher purposes are! What nihilism has given to the world - nothing!!!

Spirituality and Higher Dharma are highly individualistic. These cannot govern our social conduct. What every one needs to understand from the very childhood is that we are social creatures and it benefits every individual to live by law and social rules that are framed for common good. every crime hurts the society as a whole. If there were only one or few criminals, they would gain at cost of society. But if most of people indulge in crimes, who gains? This is what needs to be understood.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.