Yesterday I went to my previous town, Kodungallur. Bhagavathi temple is famous for 'Kodungallur Bharani' festival(it was during last week) where tribal people from north Kerala come to the temple for Bharani festival and this festival belongs to them. The strange thing is that they come in troops for this festival and stay here till Bharani star of this month. What they do is, they sing songs for Kodungallur devi at temple. You may think that, what is its peculiarity?
Bharani songs are not normal and decent devotional songs, but songs filled with only bad words known as 'Theri paat' because, it's the belief that devi loves to hear such abused words once in a year. Their words are so standard that, not even a single girl would dare to enter temple that 1 week. They even have the freedom to sing at roadside against women..... :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
Are you not feeling surprised?

One temple is there in Kerala where it's 'Men's Only'. Ladies between 10 and 55 can't go to Sabarimala as its diety...Lord Ayyappa is a brahmachari.

Do you know such strange customs of any holy place? If so, share some.

Meera sandhu
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Sandhya I know about this sabarimala, Many of the devoties from Andhra Pradesh especially in telugu month karthika masam they go. They take deeksha for 40 days and they come this temple. But ladies are not at all alowed there.

there are many temples where strange customs are there. In one of the temple near maharastra, men should go inside the temple with shirt.

In sanisingnapoor near shiridi, men should wear orange color Pancha . pancha is a telugu one. These panchas are available there. There men should take bath instantly and where these orange color cloth. Only men should worship the shani God. the specially of that village is, No house contain a door. As there wont be any theft there. If anyone do theft, they will loose their vision

Slow and Steady Wins the Race.

Yes, I know.....
Devotes from Andra and Karnataka comes here most than Keralites. It's true.

They wear only black dresses, take 41 days vritha, not shave and comes bare footed. My friend's husband is in TCS, Hyderabad. He says, even employees there, will come with bear and wearing black dresses. No problem.
Also, if taken good vrita, they won't take food prepared by ladies.
All of us respect such people and call them 'Ayyappa' and never say evn a bad against them.
Before 10, I went 3 times. Teachers won't beat or scold ayyappas :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Meera sandhu
Wow that great sandhya. you went to sabarmalai temple. Really you are a lucky girl.I only see in tv.My dad has visited that temple in civil. He didnt take any deksha.

Slow and Steady Wins the Race.

I think there is some temple in kerala where gents need to take off their shirts and need to be inside with bare chest. I cant remember the temple name correctly. :huh:

Vinu
I think there is some temple in kerala where gents need to take off their shirts and need to be inside with bare chest. I cant remember the temple name correctly. :huh:

Almost all temples in Kerala.....ha ha.....

I think, it is applicable in Tamil Nadu also.

It's the belief that Deity's 'Chaitanya' - It's directly given who enters temple....
For men, they get it through chest and for ladies, fore-head. So, they should never go to temple with these parts covered......
But I think, in North India, ladies put 'Chunari' or shawl over the head, before visiting temples...Isn't it?

Meera sandhu
In most temples at Mathura and Vrindavan, deity has fixed time routine like living beings. So, the deity takes break for bath, sleep etc and temple is closed during that period.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

In most temples at Mathura and Vrindavan, deity has fixed time routine like living beings. So, the deity takes break for bath, sleep etc and temple is closed during that period.

All temples in Kerala are like so.

Meera sandhu
But at this age they dont accept ladies to the temple. That is against rules.

Earn money just for joining in this site.

http://www.money-friends.net/users/profile/en/155119.html

Every temple has its own rules set by their management. :)

I went to Shingnapur temple in Maharashtra near Shirdi where ladies are not allowed and gents have to go without the clothes in the temple they will just offer you a cloth which one has to tie on the waist like LUNGI and then enter the temple.

Every temple has its own rules set by their management. :)

I went to Shingnapur temple in Maharashtra near Shirdi where ladies are not allowed and gents have to go without the clothes in the temple they will just offer you a cloth which one has to tie on the waist like LUNGI and then enter the temple.

Many temples are there in Kerala where men can go only wearing dhotis....
Even pants, shirts and churidars are not allowed.

Meera sandhu
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.