The topic is locked.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
yes we must indulge our child to read books,newspaper and so on.reading makes good communication in children. it helps children to build up their vocabulary.reading newspaper daily helps to know more about current affairs. it helps in communication and helps them to know about the happenings around the world.

Sharmistha Banerjee
Though i have stopped studying but now reading have became my habit. But the matter i read should be interesting.

Children too take an interest in pictures and not words.It is the association between the pictures and words that makes them take an interest in books and reading.Once a person cultivates the reading habit early in life,it stays with him/her always..

The best way to get children interested is to provide them a steady supply of colorful picture books from a very early age. Let them feel the texture of the pages, feel the colors and most importantly, allow them to tear the pages out. Its good for them. When my son was 1, I bought a lot of inexpensive books filled with colorful pictures and short stories. After I read the story to him, he want to read it himself and it meant tearing the book. But I let him do it and it was wroth it, he is a big fan of books now, although he still cannot read on his own. but its a great way to help him learn alphabets, colors and numbers etc.

Also, one thing I have observed is that parents buy books for their children adn then don't allow them to handle books personally for fear of tearing them. But this is what loses interest in them. They bring expensive toys which are broken very soon enough, expensive chocolates that are demolished within minutes of bringing it home. That too is really unnecessary expenditure if a regular feature. So why cannot we spend some money on wasting books, if it is going to help them learn more quickly and also maintain interest in them?

You are so right Kalyani !That's exactly what I feel about books and children, what is the point i buying books if they are not allowed to use them the way they want? I have seen people buying expensive volumes of books and keeping them in show cases and showing it off to visitors and you ask them, have you read it? or have the children read it ?they say NO.. :huh:

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Though i have stopped studying but now reading have became my habit. But the matter i read should be interesting.

Children too take an interest in pictures and not words.It is the association between the pictures and words that makes them take an interest in books and reading.Once a person cultivates the reading habit early in life,it stays with him/her always..

The best way to get children interested is to provide them a steady supply of colorful picture books from a very early age. Let them feel the texture of the pages, feel the colors and most importantly, allow them to tear the pages out. Its good for them. When my son was 1, I bought a lot of inexpensive books filled with colorful pictures and short stories. After I read the story to him, he want to read it himself and it meant tearing the book. But I let him do it and it was wroth it, he is a big fan of books now, although he still cannot read on his own. but its a great way to help him learn alphabets, colors and numbers etc.

Also, one thing I have observed is that parents buy books for their children adn then don't allow them to handle books personally for fear of tearing them. But this is what loses interest in them. They bring expensive toys which are broken very soon enough, expensive chocolates that are demolished within minutes of bringing it home. That too is really unnecessary expenditure if a regular feature. So why cannot we spend some money on wasting books, if it is going to help them learn more quickly and also maintain interest in them?

You are so right Kalyani !That's exactly what I feel about books and children, what is the point i buying books if they are not allowed to use them the way they want? I have seen people buying expensive volumes of books and keeping them in show cases and showing it off to visitors and you ask them, have you read it? or have the children read it ?they say NO.. :huh:

Yes, I know such people!! They try to keep the books in mint condition by not reading them!! My husband has several names for such but I cannot disclose those names here!! :laugh: But I don't understand why they spend money on books that they never read!!

As for me, I personally like books to show their usage, a few slightly crumples pages, dog-eared pages bearing marks of the readers and where children are concerned, a few torn pages! That means the books are well loved and used!! Also, books are a bit less expensive than certain toys, so I would go in for books any time!! :)

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Yes, I know such people!! They try to keep the books in mint condition by not reading them!! My husband has several names for such but I cannot disclose those names here!! :laugh: But I don't understand why they spend money on books that they never read!!

As for me, I personally like books to show their usage, a few slightly crumples pages, dog-eared pages bearing marks of the readers and where children are concerned, a few torn pages! That means the books are well loved and used!! Also, books are a bit less expensive than certain toys, so I would go in for books any time!! :)

LOL I can quite imagine what your hubby has in mind !I too find it annoying when people use eve books as status symbols.One of my relative , an architect was telling me how a politician , known to be quite corrupt coming from an uneducated family , wanted the firm to plan the sitting room with a floor to wall book shelf and to place order for huge volumes of any kind of books as long as it fills the space and looks impressive.all because some politicians have so many books in their living room cabinets.Can you believe , they spent nearly 3 lakh odd rupees for the books which are sitting there idle..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

yes i agree that children should develop reading skills and not only stick to that they also have to see modern documentary based pictures to understand every thing
YES!! We must inculcate habit of reading in children. It is very good habit for their bright future. Reading widens the knowledge and enhances creativity. :)

Software Engineers never die...They just go offline.

http://jokesthegreat.blogspot.com

LOL I can quite imagine what your hubby has in mind !I too find it annoying when people use eve books as status symbols.One of my relative , an architect was telling me how a politician , known to be quite corrupt coming from an uneducated family , wanted the firm to plan the sitting room with a floor to wall book shelf and to place order for huge volumes of any kind of books as long as it fills the space and looks impressive.all because some politicians have so many books in their living room cabinets.Can you believe , they spent nearly 3 lakh odd rupees for the books which are sitting there idle..

Oh my gosh!! Books worth 3 lakh rupees just for show!! What I would give to get those books for myself! If I could lay my hands on such books, I would surely go insane with happiness! Yes, but I know there are such people who go to any lengths to make themselves appear as educated and finely refined sophisticated people!! :laugh: :laugh:

Oh my gosh!! Books worth 3 lakh rupees just for show!! What I would give to get those books for myself! If I could lay my hands on such books, I would surely go insane with happiness! Yes, but I know there are such people who go to any lengths to make themselves appear as educated and finely refined sophisticated people!! :laugh: :laugh:

Yes that's the whole point...If they put the same effort in bringing up their children and inculcate some good values in them, it might pay rich dividends in the future !

Yes that's the whole point...If they put the same effort in bringing up their children and inculcate some good values in them, it might pay rich dividends in the future !

I agree!! Children don't anything expensive to teach them right values but only a good role model which normally should be the parents. But then there are aren't many such!

I started my reading habit in earlier days. Iam very much interested in reading
novels.

It is a very good time passing habit.

Me too....
At my LP standards too, as soon as I got my text books, my first task is to read stories of English and Malayalam text books. No one will see me and hear my voice till I complete my readings. It happens for story books too. We never purchased story books. But since, my parents are doing fireworks, at Diwali and Christmas, kids will come with old books to buy crackers. My task is to search and find books like Amar chitrakatha, Balarama etc and read it for months.
I will be seen alone somewhere with a bundle of old story books somewhere. Parents also have no disturbances or problems about me, since I will be fully involved in reading :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Meera sandhu
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.