Do you call others[strangers] with the name of relations. example: uncle, aunt . I hate that type of calling.

Madam or Sir is good. Without knowing their correct age some may call aunty. They may be in the age of 25 , if we are in the age of 30 how we are aunty for them. [bad behaviour]

http://rebacca-vethathiri.blogspot.in/
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
We address 'sir' or 'madam' those in official relation. We generally talk to strangers as 'uncle', 'aunt' etc. Usually, we call 'uncle' and 'aunt' only those visibly much elder. Otherwise, brother and sister relation are also used.

Usually, girls and women are called as 'madam' but nobody calls 'men' as 'Sir'.

I may add one relation that is used to insult. This is 'saala' (wife's brother). when somebody quarrels with another, he calles him thus.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

If those persons are senior citizens, above 80 I will call then Appooppa/Ammoomma (Grand father, grand mother).... they need not be our relatives. But it's a common practice all over our state.

Age of our parents, uncle/aunty.......in some places call mama/mami also.

Just a few years older than us, cheta/chechi.

@Mary...
Did someone call you aunty??? It seems you are hurted....hi hi

Meera sandhu
If those persons are senior citizens, above 80 I will call then Appooppa/Ammoomma (Grand father, grand mother).... they need not be our relatives. But it's a common practice all over our state.

@Mary...

If we used to call sir or mam [respect] they will be happy instead of calling with the name of relations. In serial also I used to see some guys commented "married women are aunties".

for example unmarried man 30 years. married woman 31 years. Is she a aunty for that men. They just want to insult others. That is the reason why I am telling this.

http://rebacca-vethathiri.blogspot.in/

@Mary...

Obviously, she is hurt. These days, there is an advertisement of some hair oil on TV. A girl offers seat in the bus to a bald man calling him 'uncle'. The bald man is hurt. He uses the advertised oil and next time is seen in the bus with grown hair.

Some are in habit of posing as young. One day, I happened to see a man walking with stick and old aged, before 'Theosophical Society of India'. Just I wished him. He wanted to tell something about society but I told that I knew this. He said- Sir, you are very elderly and must be knowing. I was very amused. He might be some years younger but from health and appearance did not look so.

I often feel bad when degree or Engineering students call me Aunty. Just 13-14 years difference. They can call us "Chechi" also. But seeing a kid, the students have a feel that married ladies above 27-28 should be called aunty only.

Meera sandhu
Do you call others[strangers] with the name of relations. example: uncle, aunt . I hate that type of calling.

Madam or Sir is good. Without knowing their correct age some may call aunty. They may be in the age of 25 , if we are in the age of 30 how we are aunty for them. [bad behaviour]

This generally is trend of illiterate people who think this is sign of respect calling any woman an aunt and man an uncle. I have seen mostly vegetable sellers call women of their own age MataG (Mother)

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

This generally is trend of illiterate people who think this is sign of respect calling any woman an aunt and man an uncle. I have seen mostly vegetable sellers call women of their own age MataG (Mother)

Yes, even persons about 40 or 50.....particularly sellers call their customers chechi/chetta irrespective of age. Yes, it's for showing respect only.

Meera sandhu

Calling women of own age and some times even younger as 'mataji' or 'mom' is very bizarre. But this is okay according to Hindu scriptures. These say that all 'other women' (except wife) are mother. There is a Sanskrit shloka, which I do not exactly remember.. Some words are- Par dara... matreshu. Perhaps some other member may tell correct words. when a young woman was made a captive and presented before shivaji, he just remembered his mom, saying- If my mom were also so pretty, I would be handsome.

Calling women of own age and some times even younger as 'mataji' or 'mom' is very bizarre. But this is okay according to Hindu scriptures. These say that all 'other women' (except wife) are mother. There is a Sanskrit shloka, which I do not exactly remember.. Some words are- Par dara... matreshu. Perhaps some other member may tell correct words. when a young woman was made a captive and presented before shivaji, he just remembered his mom, saying- If my mom were also so pretty, I would be handsome.

Don't you think BehanG would have been a better choice in place of MataG as Bahin also is as respectable according to Hindu or Indian culture?

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

Don't you think BehanG would have been a better choice in place of MataG as Bahin also is as respectable according to Hindu or Indian culture?

here, no one uses the word "Sahodari" (sister). .....only rare use. So, chechi becomes a common word. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Meera sandhu
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.