Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Sandhyaji kindly edit the above post. I have posted it wrongly. Now I have edited it. Some temples in the above list are not joytirlinga but they are lord shiva temples.

How is the Jyotirlinga temple different from the normal Lord Shiva's temple? From the other post I could understand that Lord Shiva is worshiped in the form of light. So, does it mean that they do not keep the normal shivalinga idol in Jyotirlinga temple?
How many Joytirlinga temples are there in India? How many temples did you visit?

Is it the temple of Lord Shiva? Just like Lingaraj temple in puri.

Lingaraj temple is not a jyotirlinga. I will check it once. I have list of some joytirlinga temples in India. Go through this link:-
http://www.vadakkumnathantemple.com/12-jyotirlinga-temples-of-shiva.html

Now my doubt is clear.So my answer is also no, till now I have not visited any.

www.mobileeduhut.blogspot.in
In this temple we will find the linga and not the murtis of Shiva .The lingas are worshipped in these temples.

Sharmistha Banerjee
Sandhyaji kindly edit the above post. I have posted it wrongly. Now I have edited it. Some temples in the above list are not joytirlinga but they are lord shiva temples.

can't understand :silly:

Yes, no jyothirlinga temples in Kerala.

Vadakkumnatha temple...I just specified its name as it is the most famous Shiva temple of Kerala :evil:

Meera sandhu
How many Joytirlinga temples are there in India? How many temples did you visit?

Is it the temple of Lord Shiva? Just like Lingaraj temple in puri.

Lingaraj temple is not a jyotirlinga. I will check it once. I have list of some joytirlinga temples in India. Go through this link:-
http://www.vadakkumnathantemple.com/12-jyotirlinga-temples-of-shiva.html

The link given by you is our Vadakkumnatha Siva temple's website :P :cheer:

Meera sandhu
I have not gone to any one of these temples but soon at the end of this month I am going to Ujjain: :)

Mahakaleshwar jyotirling in Ujjain (M.P.), Omkareshwar jyotirling in Shivpuri / mamaleswara (M.P.)
Can anybody guess the name of the first Jyotirlinga Temple?

How is the Jyotirlinga temple different from the normal Lord Shiva's temple? From the other post I could understand that Lord Shiva is worshiped in the form of light. So, does it mean that they do not keep the normal shivalinga idol in Jyotirlinga temple?

Actually many Lord Shiva temple has mythological background. Thus they are more famous and considered as very powerful, having some supernatural power.
Other temples were just built by the people or by the government for religious purpose.

Actually many Lord Shiva temple has mythological background. Thus they are more famous and considered as very powerful, having some supernatural power.
Other temples were just built by the people or by the government for religious purpose.

But that doesn't answer my question of how a Jyotirlinga temple is different from a normal Lord Shiva's temple?

But that doesn't answer my question of how a Jyotirlinga temple is different from a normal Lord Shiva's temple?

Normal shiva idols are made by a 'shilpi'.
it's believed that jyothirlinga temples are not constructured. Shiv linga-the idol is formed automatically due to some supernatural power. Hoping you understood :)

Meera sandhu
Thank you said by: jabeen, Devyani Sarkar
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.