Last week one of the most famous actors of Malayalam, Thilakan passed away. He is counted one among the best 5 actors, Malayalam industry has seen till now. He is most remembered for his role in the movie 'Perunthachan'. This is the wikipedia link for you to know about Perunthachan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perumthachan
Still now, Perunthachan, the son of Vararuchi is considered as the most skilled carpenter of Kerala. But due to jealously, he dropped his chisel on his son Kannan in the guise of an accident, killing him on the spot.
Is it possible? Can parents feel jealousy towards their kids?

Meera sandhu
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
In the normal course such a thing does not happen but people are different and often very complicated and one can never be sure how circumstances and their own personalities react when faced with adverse situations.Often people forget their own commitments and react very strongly and later regret...this issue gets discussed on the web, so it must be quite a common phenomenon..

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090313132038AAlR8dF

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

A small amount of jealousy is often there if the child becomes much more successful than the parents. But to the extent of killing that child is not normal. Usha, in the link you have given below, there is a mention of Munchausen by Proxy syndrome, and thsi tendency of pathological jealousy is psychological disorder much like the syndrome.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

A small amount of jealousy is often there if the child becomes much more successful than the parents. But to the extent of killing that child is not normal. Usha, in the link you have given below, there is a mention of Munchausen by Proxy syndrome, and thsi tendency of pathological jealousy is psychological disorder much like the syndrome.

Yes thats true kalyani , and only someone with a disorder could go to the extent of killing ones own child .. I was speaking more about the jealousy factor than killing which is totally abnormal ..
In fact I wanted to provide another link instead of that one , which I will do so now...

http://goldendaysofmae.wordpress.com/2008/06/22/can-parents-be-jealous-of-their-children/

and

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/17283621/ns/today-relationships/t/help-my-mother-jealous-me/

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Sounds crazy yet can be true in some cases. In some cases it can be attributed to the parents not having lived their lives enjoyably before they were married. Or as Kalyani said when the child is much more talented. One can come across comparisons between the child and parent in such cases which can lead to jealousy in parents but its rare that such an extreme step is taken by a parent.

Live in the present :)
Usha, I read through the links, and I can actually relate withw hat is written with reference to a friend I once had! This looks like exactly what she was going through. But putting a name to it as jealousy or even hatred is blasphemy as far as your own mother is concerned. Hence most of those face it, simply have to suffer as long as they are able to.

Sounds crazy yet can be true in some cases. In some cases it can be attributed to the parents not having lived their lives enjoyably before they were married. Or as Kalyani said when the child is much more talented. One can come across comparisons between the child and parent in such cases which can lead to jealousy in parents but its rare that such an extreme step is taken by a parent.

True Asha! We find it actually hard to believe something like this! But I remember reading a few years ago about the case Monisha Koirala is supposed to have put up against her own parents, I am not really sure it was Koirala, accusing them of exploiting her for money. In any case, this is not new to Hollywood celebrities, Britney Spears and many others have had similar ugly issues with parents! What drives such parents to do that? Jealousy indeed might be the answer.

Let me tell you one Perunthachan story. Let me tell you, Perunthachan is not a folk tale. He is a real person, whom artists worship before starting their job :)
Once Perunthachan made a toy and placed it in a bridge at one side. If someone try to cross the river through the opposite side of the bridge, his toy will take water and with the same pace the person moves, this toy also walks. Then, both with intersect at the middle of the bridge and toy spits water on the traveller's face. Everyone appreciated his work.
His son start thinking, what can I do :whistle:
Next day, he made another toy and placed it at opposite end. This toy also moves in the same pace along with them. If the first toy spits water, the second toy will slap him :cheer:
Everyone appreciated Kannan more than his father. That slaps on his toy's face, Perunthachan could feel on his face........

Gradually, his son began to gain popularity in architecture and his father smelt the threat which at last resulted in that tragedy.
Father was sitting on the roof and his son working below. He didn't miss that opportunity. It may due to 1 moment of bad thought...but what occurred after that, no one could even imagine :blink:

Meera sandhu
Let me tell you one Perunthachan story. Let me tell you, Perunthachan is not a folk tale. He is a real person, whom artists worship before starting their job :)
Once Perunthachan made a toy and placed it in a bridge at one side. If someone try to cross the river through the opposite side of the bridge, his toy will take water and with the same pace the person moves, this toy also walks. Then, both with intersect at the middle of the bridge and toy spits water on the traveller's face. Everyone appreciated his work.
His son start thinking, what can I do :whistle:
Next day, he made another toy and placed it at opposite end. This toy also moves in the same pace along with them. If the first toy spits water, the second toy will slap him :cheer:
Everyone appreciated Kannan more than his father. That slaps on his toy's face, Perunthachan could feel on his face........

Gradually, his son began to gain popularity in architecture and his father smelt the threat which at last resulted in that tragedy.
Father was sitting on the roof and his son working below. He didn't miss that opportunity. It may due to 1 moment of bad thought...but what occurred after that, no one could even imagine :blink:

It is so tragic! The world was deprived of a great and creative genius.

Yes, son of a real genius. Very soon Perunthachan committed suicide repenting on his act!!
So, we lost 2 genius.

Meera sandhu

True Asha! We find it actually hard to believe something like this! But I remember reading a few years ago about the case Monisha Koirala is supposed to have put up against her own parents, I am not really sure it was Koirala, accusing them of exploiting her for money. In any case, this is not new to Hollywood celebrities, Britney Spears and many others have had similar ugly issues with parents! What drives such parents to do that? Jealousy indeed might be the answer.

I heard that even Mallika Sherawat said her parents don't want to keep her as their family because they were jealous of her but in her case it can be understood that her claims might have been false. The biggest factor as you said is mostly the success of the children that causes resentment in the minds of the parents. But I think these are still rare cases thankfully in India at least.

Live in the present :)
Thank you said by: Sandhya Rani
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.