It can be in any field. Yet, let me take a simple example of playback singing or classical singer.
Even if a singer carries an individuality entirely different from any singer he/she will be compared to Rafi/Kishore/Mukesh/Lata/Asha. It's not the case of music only, painting, drawing or any art form. Even scientists too! Always OLD IS CONSIDERED GOLD. :whistle:
Is it true that new talents can't exceed previous ones? Or are we just measuring them based on old? Can't we mistaken?
What's your opinion?
N.B. It's not a discussion based on music only.....am seeing all art forms as a whole :)

Meera sandhu
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
It can be in any field. Yet, let me take a simple example of playback singing or classical singer.
Even if a singer carries an individuality entirely different from any singer he/she will be compared to Rafi/Kishore/Mukesh/Lata/Asha. It's not the case of music only, painting, drawing or any art form. Even scientists too! Always OLD IS CONSIDERED GOLD. :whistle:
Is it true that new talents can't exceed previous ones? Or are we just measuring them based on old? Can't we mistaken?
What's your opinion?
N.B. It's not a discussion based on music only.....am seeing all art forms as a whole :)

Sandhya jee, i think its in human being's nature to remember all the old things. thats why for any competition we have to learn a massive list of discoveries; who invented what. even the early man has not been forgotten. there are large number of topics which deal with early man's discovery of fire and wheel. and i think if someone reinvents some special kind of wheel or some special fire he would not be given much importance. the person who reached there first is remembered for ever. we all know who went first in space, who went 1st on mount Everest but we do not know who went last month in space or who went last month on Everest. The first footsteps are important and continue to be. you can take another example of bill gates....there are hundreds of professionals who create their own operating system like windows daily but do you know them? hence it is "first invent first become famous basis". i hope my answer satisfies your question :) :) :)
Thank you said by: Sandhya Rani
What's your opinion?

It's a folly to think new talents cannot surpass the old talents. . I never thought Dilip is all time great . I seen greatness in Amir khan too. But there are certain talents and creations like Michael Angelo's 'Pieta'. They stood the test of time and they will stand for ever that can't be excelled.
Rafi and Kishor are not centuries old and hence it is relevant to compare singers with them. New singers are yet to acquire name and fame and in due course, these will be old enough to replace Lata, Rafi etc.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

The comparison is always with the best, the best has already proved his/her worth while the new ones have yet to establish themselves. You cannot say that Sonu Nigam is lesser talented than any of the legends we have. In fact I put him as equal to any of the best we have.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

Thank you said by: Sandhya Rani
The comparison is always with the best, the best has already proved his/her worth while the new ones have yet to establish themselves. You cannot say that Sonu Nigam is lesser talented than any of the legends we have. In fact I put him as equal to any of the best we have.

what about Kumar Sanu?
He is also my favourite :)

I think among music directors, A.R.Rehman is able to make his distinct finger prints in the industry

Meera sandhu

what about Kumar Sanu?

I think among music directors, A.R.Rehman is able to make his distinct finger prints in the industry

Most people would say so but for me OPNayyar is all time great. What an entertainer, no one can beat his beats.

what about Kumar Sanu?

Most people would say so but for me OPNayyar is all time great. What an entertainer, no one can beat his beats.

I fully agree with you. can there be a better melody than, " yeh Hai reshmi Zulphon ka Andhera Na Ghabraayiye" of the inimitable OP?

what about Kumar Sanu?

I fully agree with you. can there be a better melody than, " yeh Hai reshmi Zulphon ka Andhera Na Ghabraayiye" of the inimitable OP?

I have a whole list of his songs with Asha and Rafi. I am almost crazy about songs, which take me in to Asha parekh, Saira Banu, Shammi Kappor etc era.

Sandhyaji you are right. If we compare singers with the legends then we should definately compare the legends with historical singers like Tansen and Baiju Babra.
Human mind is set. He will prefer the one which is his first choice. It becomes difficult for him to change it for the new one. On the other hand, his next generation would prefer the new singers. He won't like the old songs and the singers.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.