In many households in the south the son is made to bear the burden of not only getting his sisters married but keep on spending for occasions like deepavali by gifting expensive shares and gold to the couple and later give financial assistance when thy have a child and so on....it is never ending and this naturally causes resentment in his wife especially if she is not getting the same benefits or ihas no brothers...
I feel that it is very n fair to burden the sons in this manner ....

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
In many households in the south the son is made to bear the burden of not only getting his sisters married but keep on spending for occasions like deepavali by gifting expensive shares and gold to the couple and later give financial assistance when thy have a child and so on....it is never ending and this naturally causes resentment in his wife especially if she is not getting the same benefits or ihas no brothers...
I feel that it is very n fair to burden the sons in this manner ....

If son is capable to doing all these than it is not burden. If son like to all these with happyess than it is not burden. But it is not fair we compel son do all these. If some one has no brother than I think parents left enough to arrange all thing on these occasions.
It's not in south only but in every part of our country. There still are sones who do it happily while some do it as an unwanted burden. I know some of the sons are not willing to do it but there is nothing wrong if they are inheriting ancestral property, they should shoulder the burden. I know some sons who have helped marrying, educating and constructing houses for other family members and that too not as responsibility but gladly and willingly.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani, anil
It's not in south only but in every part of our country. There still are sones who do it happily while some do it as an unwanted burden. I know some of the sons are not willing to do it but there is nothing wrong if they are inheriting ancestral property, they should shoulder the burden. I know some sons who have helped marrying, educating and constructing houses for other family members and that too not as responsibility but gladly and willingly.

Burden becomes a burden, when it’s beyond one’s capability to bear the burden. As long as one is strong enough, the burden of the burden will be no more a burden. But wisdom lies in knowing the limit of the burden one can bear. Even a gram of extra burden that is beyond one’s capacity, should be refused.
You have rightly said that generally, the sons are expected to take the responsibility of getting their sisters married, spend lavishly on festivals etc. It can be quite a big burden for them considering that they have to take care of their own family too. No doubt, being a family member they have to contribute something on matters relating to family such as marriage or death ceremony etc. But it would be wrong to expect them to shoulder the major responsibility for each and every occasion.
The problem of eldest son meeting expenses on younger brothers and sisters' education and marriage is significant when the father is too old or expired. Happily, all my brothers were not only married but also employed before retirement of my father. The eldest son is in shoes of his father and inherits all the burden. But he has also right to ask his employed younger brothers to share his burden.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

It happens in other parts of our country too but I do know it is more prevalent in South. It is generally not fair to burden only the sons with it but all siblings and parents need to share the responsibility. Nowadays, times are changing and even girls are given higher education and encouraged to make a career at least until they are married off. Those cases are quite high and those girls do have their savings so it is not fair to put a burden on brothers only. Also financial condition of the son, their current and future expenses, their children's education needs etc must be considered by parents.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

It happens in other parts of our country too but I do know it is more prevalent in South. It is generally not fair to burden only the sons with it but all siblings and parents need to share the responsibility. Nowadays, times are changing and even girls are given higher education and encouraged to make a career at least until they are married off. Those cases are quite high and those girls do have their savings so it is not fair to put a burden on brothers only. Also financial condition of the son, their current and future expenses, their children's education needs etc must be considered by parents.

Nowadays girls have started making their financial contribution. For instance, in our society, during marriage most of the girls themselves arrange the things that they are going to take as dowry, such as their dress, gold ornaments, other household items etc.

Nowadays girls have started making their financial contribution. For instance, in our society, during marriage most of the girls themselves arrange the things that they are going to take as dowry, such as their dress, gold ornaments, other household items etc.

That is the best way to go actually. Girls are also earning equally like the men so there is no need for them to burden their fathers and brothers for their marriage expenses. When I got married, me and my husband on mutual agreement shared all expenses equally! This way there is no displeasure in the family. Because I have seen, in many homes, this exactly is the reason for bad blood between sisters and brothers leading to estrangement and bitter quarrels later in life.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

That is the best way to go actually. Girls are also earning equally like the men so there is no need for them to burden their fathers and brothers for their marriage expenses. When I got married, me and my husband on mutual agreement shared all expenses equally! This way there is no displeasure in the family. Because I have seen, in many homes, this exactly is the reason for bad blood between sisters and brothers leading to estrangement and bitter quarrels later in life.

You are great, if all girls and boys begin to follow you and your hubby than girl will not a problem in India.
Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

You are great, if all girls and boys begin to follow you and your hubby than girl will not a problem in India.

This system works with earning girls only because most boys in such cases calculate the overall lifelong income. They find life long earning of a working girl far better than couple of lacs spent in marriage or in form of dowry. I would be glad to see this arrangement a success if it works with non working or homely girls.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.