I see many youngsters learning French,German,Spanish languages along with their studies.When I ak them why they do it, most of them are not sure....I am definitely not agianst it, but tend to think that when you want to learn something you need to do it thoroughly rather than skim through it rather thanto claim that they know french or german..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
I see many youngsters learning French,German,Spanish languages along with their studies.When I ak them why they do it, most of them are not sure....I am definitely not agianst it, but tend to think that when you want to learn something you need to do it thoroughly rather than skim through it rather thanto claim that they know french or german..

When I was working in Rourkela (Odisha) steel plant, which was built with Russian collaboration, I often used to interact with Russians. Most of them speak in Only Russian. Their knowledge of English was scanty. In order to communicate with them, I expressed my desire to learn Russian. They taught me conversational working knowledge of Russian. But, it has whetted my appetite to learn Russian in a full scale. I started with “learn a language in 30 days” series. Finally I reached a stage of reading Dostoevsky’s novels in original.
Thank you said by: usha manohar

When I was working in Rourkela (Odisha) steel plant, which was built with Russian collaboration, I often used to interact with Russians. Most of them speak in Only Russian. Their knowledge of English was scanty. In order to communicate with them, I expressed my desire to learn Russian. They taught me conversational working knowledge of Russian. But, it has whetted my appetite to learn Russian in a full scale. I started with “learn a language in 30 days” series. Finally I reached a stage of reading Dostoevsky’s novels in original.

Thats great ! It is of course good to learn as many languages as possible within our country as well as foreign languages....It always comes in handy and can be an asset !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

It is always an added advantage to learn new languages, whether it is Indian or foreign languages.

Thats great ! It is of course good to learn as many languages as possible within our country as well as foreign languages....It always comes in handy and can be an asset !

Though the skill of conversational Russian has come down, my ability to read Russian has shot up, because of constant reading.
Well, Even I don't know the proper reason.. But I have read somewhere that these days people can get good job in translating field too..
So such language knowledge can help.. But surely don't know about it in details.

ANDROIOS: http://androios-tweaks.blogspot.com

Though the skill of conversational Russian has come down, my ability to read Russian has shot up, because of constant reading.

Practice makes perfect, but more importantly one needs to have interest ....Languge learning is a skill that not many people have.I was going through some very old film magazines called FilmIndia of the sixties where a mention is made about Raj Kapoor who took private classes in Russian because he had such a great fan following there and he felt the least he could was to learn their language and speak when he visited Russia, which he apparently did ! Also Asha Parekh is supposed to have learnt enough Japanese to converse and make herself understood while in Tokyo shooting for Love in Tokyo...

Learning is never useless. Most of peoples learn these as part time study. Learning is not enough till he have enough practice of it.
It is always an added advantage to learn new languages, whether it is Indian or foreign languages.

Language is a tool that help build the relations.
Language is a media of communication of thoughts to others. Usually, most of us know our own mother tongue besides English and Hindi. In most cases this suffices. If somebody is keen to learn languages, it is okay for him. Otherwise one should devote more time to enhance his skill in his profession or job rather than learning more language. If you feel that learning additional language will be helpful, you may well decide.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

I agree! Learning any new language is never a waste but the learning should be in depth and not just superficial. The trend that you mentioned is mainly for the benefit of either scoring marks or only for showing off that they are learning a 'foreign language' that's the in thing!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.