Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
I agree! Learning any new language is never a waste but the learning should be in depth and not just superficial. The trend that you mentioned is mainly for the benefit of either scoring marks or only for showing off that they are learning a 'foreign language' that's the in thing!

That's right. In some university, learning foreign language is a must. So, some students learn a foreign language out of compulsion. They try to score good marks and forget about it the moment the exam is over. Such superficial learning is just a wastage of time.
Thank you said by: usha manohar
I agree! Learning any new language is never a waste but the learning should be in depth and not just superficial. The trend that you mentioned is mainly for the benefit of either scoring marks or only for showing off that they are learning a 'foreign language' that's the in thing!

That's right. In some university, learning foreign language is a must. So, some students learn a foreign language out of compulsion. They try to score good marks and forget about it the moment the exam is over. Such superficial learning is just a wastage of time.

Here in Maharashtra, most English medium schools have an option between Hindi, Marathi and at least one foreign language such as French or German, and most students opt for the latter two because Hindi and Marathi are mainly boring for these kids. And then they end up nowhere, as they cannot speak the regional languages quite fluently and the foreign language is forgotten quick as a flash once the exams are over. Very very few really take up the challenge of learning the languages further.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Here in Maharashtra, most English medium schools have an option between Hindi, Marathi and at least one foreign language such as French or German, and most students opt for the latter two because Hindi and Marathi are mainly boring for these kids. And then they end up nowhere, as they cannot speak the regional languages quite fluently and the foreign language is forgotten quick as a flash once the exams are over. Very very few really take up the challenge of learning the languages further.

I too feel that we should definitely concentrate on our own mother tongue,state language etc...I have a neighbor who speaks her own brand of English but wants her children to speak only in English and no other language, also wants them to learn French...The children are very keen to learn tulu because they want to converse with their grand parents.Instead of appreciating them , she gets angry with them ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

I too feel that we should definitely concentrate on our own mother tongue,state language etc...I have a neighbor who speaks her own brand of English but wants her children to speak only in English and no other language, also wants them to learn French...The children are very keen to learn tulu because they want to converse with their grand parents.Instead of appreciating them , she gets angry with them ..

I remember that my mother would often say that it is better to change your religion than language. Mother tongue is natural identity of any person. It is okay to learn any language but this should not be neglecting one's mother tongue or the first language.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

That is exactly the attitude of most parents nowadays. It is actually very easy to learn all subjects in your own mother tongue because its a language one learns right from inside the mother's womb, but the attitude now is that every local or regional thing, including language is outdated. So children are made to learn foreign languages even before they learn their own language fluently, leading them to be neither a master at one nor fluent in own language.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

It's good to learn a language only if you think that it could help you in your career because if you do not practice a language , it is most likely that you will forget what you learnt .

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

Most European nations now insist that those wanting to work in their country should know thge langage and they should pass a test to show their proficiency in the language. But in India we have so many languages, each state has its own language and the choice for those interested is many !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Indians going abroad esp in countries where English is native language, they must clear TOFEL to get a professional job. They are tested for other technical skills plus local language of the country they wish to work in is one primary condition.

It's good to learn a language only if you think that it could help you in your career because if you do not practice a language , it is most likely that you will forget what you learnt .

I learned Russian language to read Russian literature in original especially biographies.

I learned Russian language to read Russian literature in original especially biographies.

I tried to learn it when I was in Moscow for a short term course but had to come back in early 90s due to very bad economical issues there. I managed to return with great efforts as it was impossible to survive there. Ruble was like a piece of paper and not even worth its value it was printed on.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.