Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Actually monogamy arises from social customs and not natural instinct. On the other hand, animals go by natural instinct. True love may not necessarily be also ever lasting. You may be truly loving at the moment but nothing can be said about future. Not love- true or false- but social responsibility is main basis for monogamy.

So, should the concept of monogamy and marriage be dispensed away?

I have not given opinion on monogamy and marriage as such. I have simply made an analysis on basis of observation. Monogamy is followed by humans according to social and religious customs and not natural instinct. animals do everything according to natural instinct. Now my opinion about monogamy and marriage. These are desirable for orderly and smmoth functioning of society.

True...the rules and customs were all designed so that there was no chaos and anarchy and for smooth functioning. Also, it is what makes us rise above animals!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Actually monogamy arises from social customs and not natural instinct. On the other hand, animals go by natural instinct. True love may not necessarily be also ever lasting. You may be truly loving at the moment but nothing can be said about future. Not love- true or false- but social responsibility is main basis for monogamy.

I have not given opinion on monogamy and marriage as such. I have simply made an analysis on basis of observation. Monogamy is followed by humans according to social and religious customs and not natural instinct. animals do everything according to natural instinct. Now my opinion about monogamy and marriage. These are desirable for orderly and smmoth functioning of society.

True...the rules and customs were all designed so that there was no chaos and anarchy and for smooth functioning. Also, it is what makes us rise above animals!

Monogamy is not necessary for a society to function effectively. There are many Arab nations where polygamy is legal and followed.

Monogamy is not necessary for a society to function effectively. There are many Arab nations where polygamy is legal and followed.

Polygamy is legal in Muslims under Shariat, the Muslim Personal Law .Though it's less in Muslims. For Adivasis and some tribal communities, in India Polygamy is legal.

Polygamy is legal in Muslims under Shariat, the Muslim Personal Law .Though it's less in Muslims. For Adivasis and some tribal communities, in India Polygamy is legal.

Yes monogamy is a cultural influence. It's the society that influences a man to be monogamous or polygamous. Monogamy is not an influential factor for the smooth functioning of a country.

Polygamy is indeed legal and accepted in Arab nations but we all know what kind of lives those women have to lead - utterly disgusting and desperate! It is not really a polygamous condition but more of male dominance over women. If ever true polygamy exists, it is only amongst tribes where even women are freely allowed to practice polygamy and such relationships are merely for convenience and yet they are harmonious in nature without any of them leading to personal or societal discord.

Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani

Polygamy is indeed legal and accepted in Arab nations but we all know what kind of lives those women have to lead - utterly disgusting and desperate! It is not really a polygamous condition but more of male dominance over women. If ever true polygamy exists, it is only amongst tribes where even women are freely allowed to practice polygamy and such relationships are merely for convenience and yet they are harmonious in nature without any of them leading to personal or societal discord.

I have never heard about any woman who had more than one husband, except in Mahabharat. Polygamy is a generally a male trait. Women by nature want to settle with one man who could help her and her offspring. She may have many relationships but in the end settle with only one man. Men on the other hand want to plant their seed in as many women as they can, thus ensuring their genetic continuity.

I have never heard about any woman who had more than one husband, except in Mahabharat. Polygamy is a generally a male trait. Women by nature want to settle with one man who could help her and her offspring. She may have many relationships but in the end settle with only one man. Men on the other hand want to plant their seed in as many women as they can, thus ensuring their genetic continuity.

Man by nature is polygamous. We see historic evidences kings used to maintain Harems. In fact maintaining a harem was seen as a status symbol in those days.

Man by nature is polygamous. We see historic evidences kings used to maintain Harems. In fact maintaining a harem was seen as a status symbol in those days.

Yes it is genetically hard wired in every man. In olden time a man with the most power gets the most women.

Until very recently people from Tibet freely practiced polygamy in case of women, where one woman was married to more than two brothers in the same family. Even now it is still being practiced in those parts, although not very common now. In numerous tribes across the world, including India, polygamy was prevalent for both men and women, it was the way of recognising the natural feelings and instincts of people who could be attracted to other persons of opposite sex and were not limited to single partners. Only now that they are exposed to modern culture and civilisation, which of course is hardly civilized, that they have given up such practices.

Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani

Yes it is genetically hard wired in every man. In olden time a man with the most power gets the most women.

Even today this practice can be seen in some villages, where a man's social standing is measured with the number of women he maintains and the number of cattle he possesses in his stable.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.