Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Actually monogamy arises from social customs and not natural instinct. On the other hand, animals go by natural instinct. True love may not necessarily be also ever lasting. You may be truly loving at the moment but nothing can be said about future. Not love- true or false- but social responsibility is main basis for monogamy.

So, should the concept of monogamy and marriage be dispensed away?

I have not given opinion on monogamy and marriage as such. I have simply made an analysis on basis of observation. Monogamy is followed by humans according to social and religious customs and not natural instinct. animals do everything according to natural instinct. Now my opinion about monogamy and marriage. These are desirable for orderly and smmoth functioning of society.

True...the rules and customs were all designed so that there was no chaos and anarchy and for smooth functioning. Also, it is what makes us rise above animals!

Monogamy is not necessary for a society to function effectively. There are many Arab nations where polygamy is legal and followed.

Polygamy is indeed legal and accepted in Arab nations but we all know what kind of lives those women have to lead - utterly disgusting and desperate! It is not really a polygamous condition but more of male dominance over women. If ever true polygamy exists, it is only amongst tribes where even women are freely allowed to practice polygamy and such relationships are merely for convenience and yet they are harmonious in nature without any of them leading to personal or societal discord.

I have never heard about any woman who had more than one husband, except in Mahabharat. Polygamy is a generally a male trait. Women by nature want to settle with one man who could help her and her offspring. She may have many relationships but in the end settle with only one man. Men on the other hand want to plant their seed in as many women as they can, thus ensuring their genetic continuity.

Man by nature is polygamous. We see historic evidences kings used to maintain Harems. In fact maintaining a harem was seen as a status symbol in those days.

Yes it is genetically hard wired in every man. In olden time a man with the most power gets the most women.

Even today this practice can be seen in some villages, where a man's social standing is measured with the number of women he maintains and the number of cattle he possesses in his stable.

Yes. Women are also attracted to such wealthy men because in ensures them to have a safe and comfortable living environment.
Actually monogamy arises from social customs and not natural instinct. On the other hand, animals go by natural instinct. True love may not necessarily be also ever lasting. You may be truly loving at the moment but nothing can be said about future. Not love- true or false- but social responsibility is main basis for monogamy.

I have not given opinion on monogamy and marriage as such. I have simply made an analysis on basis of observation. Monogamy is followed by humans according to social and religious customs and not natural instinct. animals do everything according to natural instinct. Now my opinion about monogamy and marriage. These are desirable for orderly and smmoth functioning of society.

True...the rules and customs were all designed so that there was no chaos and anarchy and for smooth functioning. Also, it is what makes us rise above animals!

Monogamy is not necessary for a society to function effectively. There are many Arab nations where polygamy is legal and followed.

Polygamy is indeed legal and accepted in Arab nations but we all know what kind of lives those women have to lead - utterly disgusting and desperate! It is not really a polygamous condition but more of male dominance over women. If ever true polygamy exists, it is only amongst tribes where even women are freely allowed to practice polygamy and such relationships are merely for convenience and yet they are harmonious in nature without any of them leading to personal or societal discord.

I have never heard about any woman who had more than one husband, except in Mahabharat. Polygamy is a generally a male trait. Women by nature want to settle with one man who could help her and her offspring. She may have many relationships but in the end settle with only one man. Men on the other hand want to plant their seed in as many women as they can, thus ensuring their genetic continuity.

Man by nature is polygamous. We see historic evidences kings used to maintain Harems. In fact maintaining a harem was seen as a status symbol in those days.

Yes it is genetically hard wired in every man. In olden time a man with the most power gets the most women.

Even today this practice can be seen in some villages, where a man's social standing is measured with the number of women he maintains and the number of cattle he possesses in his stable.

Yes. Women are also attracted to such wealthy men because in ensures them to have a safe and comfortable living environment.

To be known as a "Member of a Monarch's Harem,"' even parents too show enormous enthusiasm to send their daughters to the harem. This was shown very interestingly in an old Telugu film ,'Malleeswari'.

Such marriage only for sake of enjoying wealth is nothing but legalized prostitution.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

Such marriage only for sake of enjoying wealth is nothing but legalized prostitution.

Yes,polygamy is not relavent in the present scenario, except in some religions where polygamy is allowed. But in the ancient times, even in Hinduism polygamy was an accepted norm in the society.

Yes,polygamy is not relavent in the present scenario, except in some religions where polygamy is allowed. But in the ancient times, even in Hinduism polygamy was an accepted norm in the society.

There is nothing wrong with polygamy as such. Presently, Hindu law does not allow this but Muslim allows four wives. This depends on economic and social circumstances also. The Sheikhs in Arab countries and many feudal lords in ancient India married numerous women only for lust. This was nothing but legalized prostitution.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

There is nothing wrong with polygamy as such. Presently, Hindu law does not allow this but Muslim allows four wives. This depends on economic and social circumstances also. The Sheikhs in Arab countries and many feudal lords in ancient India married numerous women only for lust. This was nothing but legalized prostitution.

Yes, I do agree. If the things are seen in real perspective , polygamy is nothing short of legal prostitution. It's a social evil.

In Muslim community polygamy is allowed and each man is allowed to marry up to four wives but there are strict conditions mentioned in the Holy Quran pertaining to those marriages. The men are allowed to marry only so that they may support poor women financially and protect her from the evils of the world, if they extend the support to a woman without marrying her, it may cast a doubt on her character, so they are allowed to marry those women so that the society grants them proper honour and prestige. But sadly, this condition is only misused and men marry women only on their own whims and for money and lust, not really to protect and honour a woman's dignity!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: Rakhi Yadav

In Muslim community polygamy is allowed and each man is allowed to marry up to four wives but there are strict conditions mentioned in the Holy Quran pertaining to those marriages. The men are allowed to marry only so that they may support poor women financially and protect her from the evils of the world, if they extend the support to a woman without marrying her, it may cast a doubt on her character, so they are allowed to marry those women so that the society grants them proper honour and prestige. But sadly, this condition is only misused and men marry women only on their own whims and for money and lust, not really to protect and honour a woman's dignity!

Every religious law are created to protect the sanctity of human life. But people always find the loophole in these laws to bent it in their favor.

Every religious law are created to protect the sanctity of human life. But people always find the loophole in these laws to bent it in their favor.

Sadly humans have managed to twist everything that was meant to bring order and harmony in society and so everything that is meant for good of the humanity is now proving to be damaging for all! :blink:

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Sadly humans have managed to twist everything that was meant to bring order and harmony in society and so everything that is meant for good of the humanity is now proving to be damaging for all! :blink:

Yes every bad tradition or system starts with the intentions of greater good. As they say, "the road to hell is paved with good intentions."
Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.