I read a post on the Facebook shared by a friend. The post was originally posted by General V.K.Singh about the great freedom fighter Lal Bahadur Shastri and wanted to share this with you all. He was a person true to his principles and intentions and did not ever need to pretend about being austere like some of the savvy politicians now have to shout from the top of their voices!

"Lal Bahadur Shastri doing office work in Airplane. Along with him is his wife, Lalita Devi.

Most of us would have studied about Shastri in our school textbooks in which we were taught that he was initially a freedom fighter, then became prime minister after Nehru, and later died in Tashkent. Thats all we know. So, let me share some interesting facts about him here..

October 2nd. Whose birthday is it? Yeah correct. Also, it is Shastri's birthday on same day and most of us dont even know it, let alone celebrate.

If you combine dedication, ethics, honesty, integrity, responsibility, & austerity, you get Shastri!! The above photo is the best example to show his dedication towards his job. Can we think of today's politician doing his job in flight like this? Forget flight, do they do their jobs with this much of dedication even in their office?

Want to see how our politicians work? Watch this 1 min clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu8uqMEmyRE

Talking about integrity & responsibility.
There was a major railway accident sometime in 1950s. Being the railway minister at that time, he took moral responsibility and offered his resignation (However, Nehru did not accept it). That shows the moral standards he maintained.

Talking about honesty and ethics.
During freedom struggle, when he was jailed by the British, he was informed that his daughter was sick. So he asked for 15 days permission and was granted on the condition that he will not participate in freedom struggle in these 15 days. By the time he reached his home, his daughter had died. After performing the funeral for 3 days, he immediately returned back to jail inspite of having 12 more days of freedom from jail!!
Similarly, one day, while in jail, he was told that his son was sick and this time he got a permission of 7 days of leave from jail. He stayed with his son all the 7 days. The son had still not recovered, but Shastri went back to jail to keep up his word!! (Fortunately, the son survived)

Talking about austerity.
He is popularly called "The politician who made no money". He was born in a poor family, he lived his life in simplicity and austerity. And he died as a poor man. He really knew what austerity meant.

These are the kind of leaders we need today who can demonstrate what real austerity means. Not by someone who boards a train for the first time in his life at the age of 38, and spends a night in huts to prove that he is asture. We need austerity lessons from people who have really experienced poverty so that they understand what real poverty means. Not by someone who has zillions in swiss banks and talks about eradicating poverty here.

There is a nice article with more thought provoking facts about Shastri written by his press advisor:"

http://in.rediff.com/news/2004/oct/06spec1.htm

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
He lead by example. He's one of those rare breed of politicians who taught the Rudiments of Austerity.
When he resigned as the Railway minister, he has gone back to his home using a Private Taxi, denying politely the official car.
He's the one to have impressed on the Nation by coining, now famous "Jai Jawan Jai Kisan."slogan Making them the real bread givers to the Nation.
I recall that famous song from Upkaar.
The lyricit says, "Rang Lal Hai Lal Bahadur ke."
By comparing with Red, the lyricist says what's Lal Bahadur, who drove the Pakistani Forces up to the outskirts of Lahore.
Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
He lead by example. He's one of those rare breed of politicians who taught the Rudiments of Austerity.
When he resigned as the Railway minister, he has gone back to his home using a Private Taxi, denying politely the official car.
He's the one to have impressed on the Nation by coining, now famous "Jai Jawan Jai Kisan."slogan Making them the real bread givers to the Nation.
By comparing with Red, the lyricist says what's Lal Bahadur, who drove the Pakistani Forces up to the outskirts of Lahore.

Very true...he was the real and true iron man, along with Vallabh Bhai Patel. He was perhaps the only one who recognised the true worth of the farmers of our country and did everything to make the profession prosper. If he had survived even a few more years, then probably things would have been a little different than they are now. I think Manoj Kumar's Upkaar was a kind of a tribute to the gentle giant!

Very true...he was the real and true iron man, along with Vallabh Bhai Patel. He was perhaps the only one who recognised the true worth of the farmers of our country and did everything to make the profession prosper. If he had survived even a few more years, then probably things would have been a little different than they are now. I think Manoj Kumar's Upkaar was a kind of a tribute to the gentle giant!

True. Had he lived for some more time certainly he would have made sweeping changes in the administration. He died under mysterious conditions during the regime of Ayub, when he attended Moscow for peace talks.
Yes Manoj paid a rich tribute to this diminutive David who had slained Goliath the giant.. He has written the lyric after the victory of India over Pakistan.
Very nice information about Shastri ji. He was a real gem. Its our misfortune that we live in a era where there is no Gandhi, no Shastri, there only exists politicians who very well knows how to exploit people.
I consider Lal bahadur shastri as a great visionary. He understood well the role of peasant and soldier. He very aptly coined the slogan- Jai Jawan Jai Kissan. We can be a very great nation if we just progress in africulture and agriculture based industry and become militarily strong.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

I consider Lal bahadur shastri as a great visionary. He understood well the role of peasant and soldier. He very aptly coined the slogan- Jai Jawan Jai Kissan. We can be a very great nation if we just progress in africulture and agriculture based industry and become militarily strong.

If we are living today it's due to courtesy Kisan. If we are sleeping peacefully today, its due to courtesy Jawan.
Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani

If we are living today it's due to courtesy Kisan. If we are sleeping peacefully today, its due to courtesy Jawan.

Shastri ji had given the slogan to cheer soldiers to defend country at the time of attack from Pakistan and to cheer farmers to increase the production. And it worked really well.
Very nice information about Shastri ji. He was a real gem. Its our misfortune that we live in a era where there is no Gandhi, no Shastri, there only exists politicians who very well knows how to exploit people.

Don't be disillusioned. We have Gandhis here even now. but of a different kind.

So true...Shastriji was a true visionary who truly understood the importance of farmers. Today, we still call ourselves an agricultural country but farming is a profession which does not get the respect and notice it deserves. I am not sure about other states, but farmers in Maharashtra find it very difficult to get good educated brides! :blink: Many farmers today are first class graduates and post-grad doctorates in agriculture who are doing innovative experiments in their farms and yet they do not get respect due to them! Is it our fault or the government's for failing to impart dignity to the profession?

So true...Shastriji was a true visionary who truly understood the importance of farmers. Today, we still call ourselves an agricultural country but farming is a profession which does not get the respect and notice it deserves. I am not sure about other states, but farmers in Maharashtra find it very difficult to get good educated brides! :blink: Many farmers today are first class graduates and post-grad doctorates in agriculture who are doing innovative experiments in their farms and yet they do not get respect due to them! Is it our fault or the government's for failing to impart dignity to the profession?

Respect depend on many factors. Our people are very greedy. They will give more respect to corrupt bureaucrat and will gladly accept him as groom for their daughter.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.