Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
World Book Day is being celebrated through out the world. What is shocking is that a study has revealed that 774 million people still cannot read!
http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/world-book-day-774-million-people-worldwide-cannot-read-says-un-study/1/357198.html

Books are the source of knowledge and library is the place where one can find a collection of books of various categories and languages.

Fortunately, I inherited a vast library from my father, to which I have added more books. Additionally I'm a member in the local library.
World Book Day is being celebrated through out the world. What is shocking is that a study has revealed that 774 million people still cannot read!
http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/world-book-day-774-million-people-worldwide-cannot-read-says-un-study/1/357198.html

Books are the source of knowledge and library is the place where one can find a collection of books of various categories and languages.

Fortunately, I inherited a vast library from my father, to which I have added more books. Additionally I'm a member in the local library.

We have a grand book fair every year in Chennai. It attracts thousands of people every year.

Born to express, not to impress.
http://royalrobsideas.blogspot.in/

We have a grand book fair every year in Chennai. It attracts thousands of people every year.

Here too in AP, all along the year Book fairs are organized with attractive discounts. I never miss them.

Here too in AP, all along the year Book fairs are organized with attractive discounts. I never miss them.

I wish not only in metro cities, book fair was organized in each and every small towns and villages, irrespective of the fact whether organizers of the fairs would do a great business or no.
Importance attached with book is still to day, in the age of kindle and Google books where everyting seems to be electronic but the satsifaction in reading book in immense and can not be expressed. It is a pity to learn so many children are devoid of basic educational standards, many a times constriants of livelihood is complelling parents to send their children to work. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

You have rightly said that often poor parents are compelled to send their children to earn money instead of going to school. That's why it is a matter of big concern that such a large number of people still do not know how to read. I would not be surprised if many of these people turn out to be poor.

It is however true that the general trend in reading books seems to have reduced with ebooks and internet facilities available. Usha has rightly mentioned that parents and teachers need to take greater responsibility in inculcating the habit of reading in children. They could play a big role in generating their interest in reading books. I have met many parents who keep buying books for children but only those kinds of books which they feel would add knowledge or would be useful for their career. They would not buy them story books, comics or something of their interest etc. In such cases, the children are not likely to enjoy reading books at later stage. I also notice that many of the parents are too busy with their career that they themselves do not take out time to read something for themselves. So, not having ever seen their parents reading, many of the children do not get to understand the pleasure of reading.

Jabeen, you have pinpointed it exactly why children are not interested in reading books. I know many parents who only insist on books which has some learning in it or have a moral at the end but they are totally uninteresting with bad or no pictures. I keep telling my friends all the time that children do not need to learn morals from book, for that they look up to their parents. All they want is some nice, funny story and beautiful pictures in the book to keep them interested. But no, I am termed stupid for saying that and now my son is the only one who really likes to read books among all that lot! Also, the fact is that the culture of picture books especially for children never has been a part of our lives. But now because of globalisation, many parents who have visited other countries are now open to buying such books for children.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: jabeen, RobertP

I wish not only in metro cities, book fair was organized in each and every small towns and villages, irrespective of the fact whether organizers of the fairs would do a great business or no.

Book fairs are a business. These organizers take it for granted that the Book fairs will fetch them more money in Metropolises.
Importance attached with book is still to day, in the age of kindle and Google books where everyting seems to be electronic but the satsifaction in reading book in immense and can not be expressed. It is a pity to learn so many children are devoid of basic educational standards, many a times constriants of livelihood is complelling parents to send their children to work. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

You have rightly said that often poor parents are compelled to send their children to earn money instead of going to school. That's why it is a matter of big concern that such a large number of people still do not know how to read. I would not be surprised if many of these people turn out to be poor.

It is however true that the general trend in reading books seems to have reduced with ebooks and internet facilities available. Usha has rightly mentioned that parents and teachers need to take greater responsibility in inculcating the habit of reading in children. They could play a big role in generating their interest in reading books. I have met many parents who keep buying books for children but only those kinds of books which they feel would add knowledge or would be useful for their career. They would not buy them story books, comics or something of their interest etc. In such cases, the children are not likely to enjoy reading books at later stage. I also notice that many of the parents are too busy with their career that they themselves do not take out time to read something for themselves. So, not having ever seen their parents reading, many of the children do not get to understand the pleasure of reading.

Jabeen, you have pinpointed it exactly why children are not interested in reading books. I know many parents who only insist on books which has some learning in it or have a moral at the end but they are totally uninteresting with bad or no pictures. I keep telling my friends all the time that children do not need to learn morals from book, for that they look up to their parents. All they want is some nice, funny story and beautiful pictures in the book to keep them interested. But no, I am termed stupid for saying that and now my son is the only one who really likes to read books among all that lot! Also, the fact is that the culture of picture books especially for children never has been a part of our lives. But now because of globalisation, many parents who have visited other countries are now open to buying such books for children.

I too have come across some parents who buy books that interest their children but they are so few in numbers. And I hardly see any parents taking their children while visiting book stores or book fairs. I feel that taking them to such places can also make them interested in books. I make it a point to buy Tinkle and fairy tales story books for my nieces every month and so far they enjoy reading books.
Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar, RobertP

I too have come across some parents who buy books that interest their children but they are so few in numbers. And I hardly see any parents taking their children while visiting book stores or book fairs. I feel that taking them to such places can also make them interested in books. I make it a point to buy Tinkle and fairy tales story books for my nieces every month and so far they enjoy reading books.

Exactly..we have to take children to such places and give them as many books as we can, only then will they genuinely fall in love with books. My son also likes to read books a lot and now I let him choose books for himself. He has developed a rather unique taste in books and is quite choosy about pictures in them, he puts aside books which has quite ugly pictures and he has become a great fan of Dr. Seuss books! You can also try Magic Pot for your nieces, it comes out every Wednesday and has got nice activities! :lol:

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.