I am sure most of us must be aware of this famous proverb "a smile is a curve that makes everything straight" , but I guess in Indian culture this proverb doesn't fit the bill.
It often happens that people in India think a lot before giving a courtesy smile to known and unknown colleagues, or greet people in their respective workplaces or their neighbours. After all how much effort does it take? I have observed in my workplace that people from the US of A or UK don't hesitate to smile at you even when they are not directly involved in any work project. This gesture makes a workplace so much friendly. After all we are fast aping the foreign culture, so why do we fail to imitate and adapt the good things? Does this Indian attitude stem from the way we are taught in our childhood to refrain from talking to strangers?

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Basically Indians lack sense of humour.. Smile is a badsic need to enliven the life. Smile is a basic need, as basic as a dress.
You’re never fully dressed without a smile. ~Martin Charnin
I am sure most of us must be aware of this famous proverb "a smile is a curve that makes everything straight" , but I guess in Indian culture this proverb doesn't fit the bill.
It often happens that people in India think a lot before giving a courtesy smile to known and unknown colleagues, or greet people in their respective workplaces or their neighbours. After all how much effort does it take? I have observed in my workplace that people from the US of A or UK don't hesitate to smile at you even when they are not directly involved in any work project. This gesture makes a workplace so much friendly. After all we are fast aping the foreign culture, so why do we fail to imitate and adapt the good things? Does this Indian attitude stem from the way we are taught in our childhood to refrain from talking to strangers?
Everything starts from own culture and there is gap between east and west and for sure, lifestyle, family life all been different, here, we warned not to talk to strangers and that is why in India social networking is famous,

http://mohanmekap.com/

@Rambabu: Well said...with an apt quotation! :)

Generally we want to be smiled at - that we will appreciate but in turn are conservative.
I read a quote which says, "a person who cannot smile ,relish the beauty of a rose and the toothless smile of a baby is no less than a cutthroat "
The above is the gist of the quote that clearly speaks of the importance of Smile.
@Mohan Manohar: Yeah...you are absolutely correct - this is the reason social networking sites are a great hit in India.

Thank you said by: mohan manohar
Smiling is natural to some persons and for some it requires practice.

http://mohanmekap.com/

A Smile opens floodgates for strong Relations. A frown builds Barriers.
My advice to women is- Do not smile- Others are likely to misunderstand. Here the environment is very unhealthy. There is a proverb that naughty males have coined- Hansi to phansi- (Laugh indicates concurrence for ??) :sick: :sick: :sick:

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

My advice to women is- Do not smile- Others are likely to misunderstand. Here the environment is very unhealthy. There is a proverb that naughty males have coined- Hansi to phansi- (Laugh indicates concurrence for ??) :sick: :sick: :sick:

The belief that laugh indicates concurrence is the creation of male Chauvanism .
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.