We come across lot of parents stating that their children have grown up to be very demanding. Such parents often claim that they have to face serious problems coping with constant demands and frequent pestering of their children over small issues. What do you think about this problem and what are your suggestions?

I love writing and sharing ideas

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
We come across lot of parents stating that their children have grown up to be very demanding. Such parents often claim that they have to face serious problems coping with constant demands and frequent pestering of their children over small issues. What do you think about this problem and what are your suggestions?

A child being demanding is not always a cause of concern as long as they are within limits .unlike earlier generations, today's children are demanding because they are exposed to fast paced life and cyber culture. My suggestion is the parents should see the justification of the child's demand. they also should see utilitarian factor that is, how far the thing demanded by the child is useful for him for his personal development. For example, give him a computer but not a cell phone.
I feel that communication and understanding is the key to any kind of relationship , the same with children. Children do face peer pressure when they are in their teens and it depends on the parents as to how to handle such situations and demands, sometimes you give in , sometimes you dont ...As far as the question goes, whether children are more demanding, this is something we get to hear through generations , change is the essence of life, so how can we expect the now generation to remain static ?

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

If kids of the present generation have become more demanding, as parents it is their duty to know where to draw the line. Kids should be educated to make a difference between needs, wants, and desire using examples in each case.

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

Kids in general demand. They see a doll in a shopping mall and insist the parents to buy it. They see elders using a cell phone frequently by the elders either in the family or in the neighborhood and demand the parents for a cell phone. Even if the child is provided with all the toys, it loses interest on those toys and develops interest on the child's toys of the child in the neighborhood. And throws tantrums until it gets it.
It's a natural characteristic in every child. During that phase of the childhood, a child will be fickle minded. It's here the parents should take the charge and be firm. Parents should not yield to the tantrums of the child.
Parents, by being firm can control the demanding nature of the child.
Kids demand due to creation of habits by parents, parents want to provide more to kids than their own generation.

http://mohanmekap.com/

Kids are always demanding and it's their nature. Even toddler demands attention. This attention demanding traits of a child is visible through their tantrums. Many parents unfortunately yield to these tantrums. Psychologists say that the best way to stop the demanding habits of a child is to not paying any attention.
I have seen a child of 4 years created a scene in a mall when the mother refused to buy a toy. The unyielding mother simply ignored and walked away from ( Really she pretended) the Mall. The child automatically ran to join his mother. This should be the attitude of parents.
Just demands of a child can be attended to . But not unjust demands. The parent has to make the child realize that all their demands will not be met..
Thank you said by: Taniya Choudhury
They are children and its there nature to demand. But, to see if a demand is valid or not, that's the job of parents. Just going and fulfilling the kids every demand is not possible. Try to convince kids and make them learn about the value of money.
For a starter it is a good idea to give a small amount of pocket money to children and let them manage their expenditure within that amount, also open a savings bank account and teach them to save money and earn interest. I have seen how children feel thrilled when they get interest, even a tiny amount ...Once they realise that money doesnt come easy, their demands too become more realistic !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

They are children and its there nature to demand. But, to see if a demand is valid or not, that's the job of parents. Just going and fulfilling the kids every demand is not possible. Try to convince kids and make them learn about the value of money.
It is difficult to convince kids when they forms a habit of it. :whistle:

http://mohanmekap.com/

For a starter it is a good idea to give a small amount of pocket money to children and let them manage their expenditure within that amount, also open a savings bank account and teach them to save money and earn interest. I have seen how children feel thrilled when they get interest, even a tiny amount ...Once they realise that money doesnt come easy, their demands too become more realistic !

Exactly. Its my practical experience. I have seen children standing in queue at the Bank counters holding their Piggy Bank containers. This boosts not only the sense of thrift, but also lays foundations for self reliance.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.