Today is the 75th anniversary of Harijans entering the Meenakshi-Sundareshwarar Temple in Madurai .
Tamilnadu is known for its conservative views on Religion.

Contrary to this general belief, a historical event happened on July 8, 1939. A party of 4 Dalits entered the most famous temple of India, Meenakshi-Sundareshwarar Temple in Madurai . A revolutionary event in the annals of modern Hinduism and Indian politics.
But, still there are many temples, where Dalits are denied of Temple entry. Still there is an impression set in the minds of the people, “Temples become impure if Untouchables enter the temples.?

Do they?
http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/tamil-nadu/when-madurai-set-the-tone-for-dalit-rights/article6187351.ece?homepage=true
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
I don't go to temples. for me all these are as pure or impure as oter buildings This is a matter of perception of the devotees. Caste system and untouchability is part of Hindu tradition. So if the Hindu devotees think that entry of 'untouchables' (for me this word is meaningless) renders the temple impure, this is their outlook. Temples are used by Hindu devotees and so what they believe matters more.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

I don't go to temples. for me all these are as pure or impure as oter buildings This is a matter of perception of the devotees. Caste system and untouchability is part of Hindu tradition. So if the Hindu devotees think that entry of 'untouchables' (for me this word is meaningless) renders the temple impure, this is their outlook. Temples are used by Hindu devotees and so what they believe matters more.

Gandhiji also found the word 'Untouchables' as meaningless. That's why, he called them as Harijans, people of Hari.

Gandhiji also found the word 'Untouchables' as meaningless. That's why, he called them as Harijans, people of Hari.

But the result. 'harijan' also got a new meaning. Harijan and untouchable could be used same way. Dr Ambedkar gave best solution. He advised dalits to come out of Hindu religion and embrace Budddhism. Gandhi only wanted to abolish untouchability. He had no desire to introduce equal rights for all. Even abolition of untochability was not out of sympathy with untouchables or harijans but for retaining them in Hindu religion as he feared that they would embrace Islam or Christianity. As Budddhists, they are just humans and also need not enter the temples even if invited. .

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

But the result. 'harijan' also got a new meaning. Harijan and untouchable could be used same way. Dr Ambedkar gave best solution. He advised dalits to come out of Hindu religion and embrace Budddhism. Gandhi only wanted to abolish untouchability. He had no desire to introduce equal rights for all. Even abolition of untochability was not out of sympathy with untouchables or harijans but for retaining them in Hindu religion as he feared that they would embrace Islam or Christianity. As Budddhists, they are just humans and also need not enter the temples even if invited. .[/quote

In this direction, Dr. Ambedkar's thoughts are quite logical and pragmatic. Coming to the topic, the age old practice of not allowing the untouchables has been rejected in a state which is known for practising conservative religious ways as early as 75 years ago, When C. Rajagopalachari was the then head of Madras presidency.
I think caste system prevails only in our minds. Hindu activists dislike harijans entering temples or scared places but how do you know if they don't reveal their identity. After all it is not written on their faces which caste we belong to. I don't believe or agree with this, a person should come to a temple with clean mind and that is all that matters.

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

It may look odd but harijans should give it back to upper castes. Like Parsees who put a notice outside their Agiyaris that non Parsees are not allowed to enter, Harijans should also build their own temples and write outside that upper caste Hindus are not permitted to enter. That 4 human beings were permitted to enter a temple 75 years back should not be seen as a revolutionary day but as a sad reminder day of how some human beings will go to any length to despise other human beings.
If Human is not seen as a human in any religion, it's not a religion at all. Geeta says, Service to humans is service to gods." Nothing can make a Temple holy. if the very human who built it is overlooked. Temples did not fall from the blue.
My question who coined this word untouchables in the first place ? and how did they become so ? Even if there is a valid explanation to this, I find the very idea revolting ! And as far as anyone entering any place where they live, it is their birth right and they are free to go where they want whether it is temple or any other place ! As long as we have such things and also caste reserbvations peoples attitude will never change in our country !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

My question who coined this word untouchables in the first place ? and how did they become so ? Even if there is a valid explanation to this, I find the very idea revolting ! And as far as anyone entering any place where they live, it is their birth right and they are free to go where they want whether it is temple or any other place ! As long as we have such things and also caste reserbvations peoples attitude will never change in our country !

The word " untouchables" was coined by the selfish and self appointed High priests of religion for their own ends.
The ancient culture of India was based upon a system of social diversification according to SPIRITUAL development, not by birth, but by his karma. This system became hereditary and over the course of many centuries degenerated as a result of exploitation by some priests, and other socio-economic elements of society.
Now, in most of temples these traditions are not there, everyone is reaching to Lord, who believes Him.

http://mohanmekap.com/

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.