I have seen thousands of girls and married women wearing sleeveless blouses with saris, in New Delhi, Kolkatta, and Mumbai. Nobody really bothers and it is accepted as a very common dress.

However, in the South of India, including Kerala and even in Chennai, it is still considered a big taboo. Why should this be so? What is so bad about such a small thing, as a sleeveless blouse?

If women in Chennai also take to wearing sleeveless blouses with saris in a very big way, will the taboo go away?

Members, particularly women who are very comfortable wearing such dresses or who feel strongly against such taboo, may please present their views.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
I have seen thousands of girls and married women wearing sleeveless blouses with saris, in New Delhi, Kolkatta, and Mumbai. Nobody really bothers and it is accepted as a very common dress.

However, in the South of India, including Kerala and even in Chennai, it is still considered a big taboo. Why should this be so? What is so bad about such a small thing, as a sleeveless blouse?

If women in Chennai also take to wearing sleeveless blouses with saris in a very big way, will the taboo go away?

Members, particularly women who are very comfortable wearing such dresses or who feel strongly against such taboo, may please present their views.

We have no such taboo in AP.
There is absolutely no such taboo anywhere in Karnataka, girls wear sleeveless, halter necks and whatever they like without anyone bothering about. Some people may stare and pass comments but that just goes to show their low mindset thats all, not really worth bothering about ...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Indian women are free to wear blouse with or without sleeves. No problem in my area.
There is absolutely no such taboo anywhere in Karnataka, girls wear sleeveless, halter necks and whatever they like without anyone bothering about. Some people may stare and pass comments but that just goes to show their low mindset thats all, not really worth bothering about ...

Absolutely. Wearing sleeveless blouses was started long ago in AP. I observed even in Chennai there are no such taboos.
I think it is also not in Odisha, but I cannot say with complete authority. :whistle: :whistle:

http://mohanmekap.com/

I have seen in Gujarat sleeveless blouses being worn since decades now and no one considers it a big thing.
I really don't know about women not wearing sleeveless blouse in Chennai, but women in most urban and semi-urban cities are wearing sleeveless blouses. It is not a big deal!

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

What I understand from this discussion through the responses of the participants, wearing sleeveless blouses is not taboo in AP, Karnataka and chennai. What's left is Kerala. I'm sure there too this taboo will not be there . As this was an old taboo forgotten by the people long ago.
Wearing sleeveless or not has now become people specific and family specific rather than region specific.

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

Wearing sleeveless or not has now become people specific and family specific rather than region specific.

I agree with you. The thread poster specifically pointed that this is a taboo in Southern states. Which is why, I specified regions.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.