The topic is locked.
[strike][/strike] There are many variants of Hindi. Hindi as is wrtten in print media and used in TV channels is hardly mother tongue of any. There are Brijbhasha, avadhi etc in U.P., garhwali in hilly areas of U.P. and Uttarakhand, maithili and Bhojpuri in Bihar. All these variants go in name of Hindi. Also, some variants like brijbhasha, rajasthani, avadhi are considered as HIndi whereas Punjabi and Nepali are distinct. As a matter of fact, this appears arbitrary. If Punjabi and Marathi could be separate languages distinct from Hindi, why Brijbhasha, Maithili, Rajasthani, Bhojpuri not considered distinct and separate lanuages. All this appears arbitrary with a view to iflate the number of Hindi speakers.

I hope some could elcidate and enlighten as to why rajasthani, Bhojpuri, maithili are Hindi whereas Punjabi, Marathi, Nepali, Dogri are not Hindi.

Another point. Recently some have opined that everyone in India is 'Hindu'. By this logic why all Indian languages are not Hindi. If there could be Hindu Christian as somebody said why then not be Hindi Tamil, Hindi Dogri and so on. Anyway there is Hindi English or Hinglish.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Nearly 60% of Indians speak a language other than Hindi.
Have a look at this link.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Nearly-60-of-Indians-speak-a-language-other-than-Hindi/articleshow/36922157.cms
Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani
Indians have to learn three languages, their regional language, HIndi and then English.

http://www.comparenshop.in

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Nearly-60-of-Indians-speak-a-language-other-than-Hindi/articleshow/36922157.cms

And what is the breakup of those 60% that do not speak Hindi? I hope none of them will beat Hindi speakers which is worlds 3rd largest spoken language. English is 2nd while Mandarin is at #1 and that may surprise you but Bangla stands at 5 or 6.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

And what is the breakup of those 60% that do not speak Hindi? I hope none of them will beat Hindi speakers which is worlds 3rd largest spoken language. English is 2nd while Mandarin is at #1 and that may surprise you but Bangla stands at 5 or 6.

You can find the breakup in the link article. People may speak Hindi for the convenience. It doesn't mean, that these speakers' mother tongue is Hindi.
[strike][/strike] There are many variants of Hindi. Hindi as is wrtten in print media and used in TV channels is hardly mother tongue of any. There are Brijbhasha, avadhi etc in U.P., garhwali in hilly areas of U.P. and Uttarakhand, maithili and Bhojpuri in Bihar. All these variants go in name of Hindi. Also, some variants like brijbhasha, rajasthani, avadhi are considered as HIndi whereas Punjabi and Nepali are distinct. As a matter of fact, this appears arbitrary. If Punjabi and Marathi could be separate languages distinct from Hindi, why Brijbhasha, Maithili, Rajasthani, Bhojpuri not considered distinct and separate lanuages. All this appears arbitrary with a view to iflate the number of Hindi speakers.

I hope some could elcidate and enlighten as to why rajasthani, Bhojpuri, maithili are Hindi whereas Punjabi, Marathi, Nepali, Dogri are not Hindi.

Another point. Recently some have opined that everyone in India is 'Hindu'. By this logic why all Indian languages are not Hindi. If there could be Hindu Christian as somebody said why then not be Hindi Tamil, Hindi Dogri and so on. Anyway there is Hindi English or Hinglish.
I think Tamil and Dogri are not religion so why one should speak of Hindu Tamil, one cannot segment language, it is clear, Hindi comes from Aryan sect of language, and language changes with region, when I as citizen from eastern India listens to Punjabi friend speaking I think they speak nearer to Hindi, wihch people of Hindi mother tongue will not think so, similarly, some langayuge such as mine Odia born out from influience of Aryan sect plus austic sect plus dravidian apart from some foreing language influences. Austic sect is the language spoken by tribals, even some words of Odia language is almost nearer to Hindi but there are some distinctiveness to it as the script of Odia is different and source is different whcih cannot be said for mentioned languages. but I think even more than 60 percentages Indian speak Hindi.

http://mohanmekap.com/

According to 2014 statistics Hindi speaking population is around 258 millions which also includes people from Andaman and Nicober, Rajasthan and other states. The four south Indians lanuages put together account for around a little more than 200 millions..Language and religion have no connection so trying to build any relationship would be futile..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

According to 2014 statistics Hindi speaking population is around 258 millions which also includes people from Andaman and Nicober, Rajasthan and other states. The four south Indians lanuages put together account for around a little more than 200 millions..Language and religion have no connection so trying to build any relationship would be futile..

All these statistics were dealt in the link article well. South Indian states if they speak Hindi its for convenience only.

Most of the Hindi that we hear today is a mix of English and Hindi. You must be already aware that in India there are about 22 official languages, and the rest of the languages, including the ones you have listed here namely, Bhojpuri, Maithili, Rajathani have been given the status of dialects. Coming to the point you have mentioned "why rajasthani, Bhojpuri, maithili are Hindi whereas Punjabi, Marathi, Nepali, Dogri are not Hindi.// Some of these dialects sound similar to Hindi, perhaps that is the reason why they have been classed as a sub-variety of Hindi.
This the closest answer I can think of.

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani

Most of the Hindi that we hear today is a mix of English and Hindi. You must be already aware that in India there are about 22 official languages, and the rest of the languages, including the ones you have listed here namely, Bhojpuri, Maithili, Rajathani have been given the status of dialects. Coming to the point you have mentioned "why rajasthani, Bhojpuri, maithili are Hindi whereas Punjabi, Marathi, Nepali, Dogri are not Hindi.// Some of these dialects sound similar to Hindi, perhaps that is the reason why they have been classed as a sub-variety of Hindi.

According to the link article more than 60 percent speak other than Hindi. The statistics are dealt convincingly. So, Hindi is not the language of majority of people.

According to the link article more than 60 percent speak other than Hindi. The statistics are dealt convincingly. So, Hindi is not the language of majority of people.

That said..it provides an answer to the thread title. I was trying to answer this question //I hope some could elcidate and enlighten as to why rajasthani, Bhojpuri, maithili are Hindi whereas Punjabi, Marathi, Nepali, Dogri are not Hindi.//

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.