Watch any TV serial, in Tamil, if you know a bit of the language.  If your mother tongue is Tamil, no problem.

Except for one or two serials, all the serials are absolute trash.  The hero or the main character would have any number of problems.  At least three women would be shown doing maximum damage to him.  He would have at least one unmarried sister to support.

The bad guys will come in various forms. There are murders, violence, blood shed, vengeance and what have you.  The script is always twisted to suit the animal instincts of any human being.

And in every serial, the hero will have at least two or three wives, and there will be at least one illegitimate child, who will undergo so much suffering.

While Sun TV leads in the number of such serials, other service providers are not far behind.

One is given to understand that more or less similar situations are there in all the South Indian languages, and Hindi as well, and in Bengali or whatever.

Should the Government step in to vet each and every serial, for the harmful impact on society?

Will such intervention actually interfere with the freedom of expression?  If it does, can we bring in some checks and balances, in some other fashion?

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Political leaders with multiple wives are elected to positions of power in TN and other states. Why should someone else regulate for us. Let us self regulate. Turn off the TV if you know only Tamil (high possibility due to only Tamil policy in TN) or see some other language channel.

Nice suggestion.  However, apart from a small knowledge of Hindi, I do not know any other language, except of course, English.  I do watch BBC or the other foreign channels, and these are simply superb. 

However, the vast majority of people are still glued to these horrible serials.  So, what can be done, and this is a very big question.

The only check we can do is on a personal level is to boycott such frivolous tv serials who have no matter and show mindless bogus things. No TRPs will entail no revenue and these soap irrespective of the language will come to an end. I think a fair amount of people are still watching such soaps because they don't find anything else to watch which might interest them.  

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

Lot of useful things are going on the TV. If you want to watch other channels no one can disturb you. History,discovery,BBC and lot more channels teach you the real things happening in the life of a person. In olden days there is no choice for the people to choose their desired channel because their is no remote facility provided people should switch the channels by pressing the button in hand on the TV. Cinema is also teaching some vulgar things and showing a man who is always speaking with vulgar words and drunken men. Do we stop to watch the films. We should take the good things from the bad things. But one thing is sure all the serials is taking much time to finish even though there is quick process to finish the serials and take another. They want to extend the serials as much as possible.

This storyline is the common factor in all the daily serials today, in all languages! Even in Marathi, the story of multiple women plotting all kinds of vengeance on the hero or heroine is the main storyline of any serial. They are doing a serious damage to the society and I personally feel that there should be a regulator for serials.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Exactly.  There should be some sort of regulation, though that regulation should not be too much of a regulation.  The regulation should be aimed at consolidating the good things that are already happening, but giving some advise on the content of the serials, so that the society is not affected. 

Another main problem is that regulation should not become another source of corruption.

We need a regulatory to keep a watch on all TV channels including NEWS. The way some news channels are broadcasting paid news is nothing but trash. The debates conducted by almost all channels politicians as their panelists under half baked TV anchors is the worst example of channels showing their ignorance.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

Exactly.  Recently, one of our so-called ace anchors, Mr Arnab Goswami, was literally stripped during one TV show by the most cunning of politicians,   Dr Subramaniam Swamy, who is an economist by training, and a great person who can simply see through any game.  Our friend Arnab was caught on the wrong foot.  He was called a liar.

We need some big brother to watch all this and regulate these kinds of shows too.  No mass media should be used to score points.  The same Arnab was the one who was spitting venom on Mr Srinivasan, the then chief of BCCI.

It should be noted that there was nothing against Mr Srinivasan, even at that time, when the IPL betting scandal broke out.  In any case, the guilty have be proved as guilty by the court, not by individuals such as Mr Goswami.  It looked ridiculous.

Well, to come back to the TV serials, something needs to done. Otherwise, the younger generation will learn all the dirty tricks and their future will be gone forever.

I know people watching TV serials so seriously and lose their temper if they missed few minutes of an episode. Unfortunately, they cannot be blamed because they have their own choice just like I have mine. Serial is a commercial business built up on the foundation of the anxiety of the light-hearted audience. Its success depends up on how they could retain their anxiety. Similar to the censoring of movies, there should be some regulatory system to control the objectionable scenes of the serials as well as some vulgar commercial ads that ruin our children; because our remote cannot protect us forever.

Those who do not like TV serials can always watch Astha TV and other similar channels and what is strange they will criticise them also and eemamnd a separate regulator for every channel. One should control what one watches and not what is broadcast.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.