Whenever young girls are quizzed by elders as to why they refuse to wear bangles , pat comes the reply:  "it is all old-fashioned'.  When some lady tries to argue that for any woman in India, wearing bangles is not only considered a custom, but is also related to spiritualism, the youth tend to mock at such a comment, saying that such a thought itself is out-dated.

In urban areas, the women are no more sold on such customs.  Is this okay?  For example, even in Chennai, both the husband and wife, go to pubs, enjoy and come back, leaving the child to the care of the parents. 

Boozing is not considered anything out of the way.  So, wearing bangles is just out of the question. 

What are your views?

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

It's a fallacy to think that "Wearing Bangles" is an outdated custom. It's only those half knowledged think so. Wearing bangles and wearing Bindi are considered as the "Soubhagyavati" in all the Southern states of India. Only widows do not wear Bangles.

But some working women do not wear the bangles though Hindus for convenience, not out of disrespect to the customs.

Wearing bangles nowadays is not considered very convenient because women are mostly now working women, majority of whom have to work on computers. Bangles are a bit uncomfortable for that. And current fashion trends include wearing simple bracelets in one hand and a watch on another. I feel it is the choice of girls and women on what things to wear and what to omit. Bangles, were once considered the symbol of marriage and religion etc. but let us not forget that we have entered 21st century and such things are now trivial.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Wearing bangles nowadays is not considered very convenient because women are mostly now working women, majority of whom have to work on computers. Bangles are a bit uncomfortable for that. And current fashion trends include wearing simple bracelets in one hand and a watch on another. I feel it is the choice of girls and women on what things to wear and what to omit. Bangles, were once considered the symbol of marriage and religion etc. but let us not forget that we have entered 21st century and such things are now trivial.

True. In tune with the trends and the changing times women wear Bracelets especially working women. As you said it is inconvenient to wear bangles for the working women.

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

Yes, and I see a rising trend again of wearing dozens of bangles on festivals, weddings and other similar occasions. So that is a good sign indeed. Go for comfort on working days and go traditional during festivities.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: rambabu

Yes, and I see a rising trend again of wearing dozens of bangles on festivals, weddings and other similar occasions. So that is a good sign indeed. Go for comfort on working days and go traditional during festivities.

True. Actually working women do not wear Bangles only  for convenience not out of disrespect to the customs. In AP, on festive days like "Varalakshmi Puja.", women employees come to the office wearing Bangles. Thus setting aside inconvenience for a day.

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

Personally, I do not like wearing of ornaments by men as well as women. Particularly the nose rings, ear rings that need piercing of nose or ears are really disgusting.  Banles are needless burden on women's arms. so if the women are discarding bangles, it is good. 

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Personally, I do not like wearing of ornaments by men as well as women. Particularly the nose rings, ear rings that need piercing of nose or ears are really disgusting.  Banles are needless burden on women's arms. so if the women are discarding bangles, it is good. 

Wearing Bangles and Bindi is considered as auspicious according to Hindu culture. But, women who work in offices feel uncomfortable to wear Bangles. That's why, they stopped wearing dozens of Bangles. Instead wear Bracelet. Of course wearing a sinlgle Bracelet is welcome.

Wearing bangles earlier was a symbol of marriage. In Bengal women wear red and white bangles, in Maharastra women wear green glass bangles which is considered auspicious. However, even women today wear bangles but they are worn only on one hand and they don't look traditional or for religious reasons, but more to make a fashion statement. Most women wear bangles during festivals too. But a large no.of women are working today and I have seen that even home makers these days don't wear bangles, it is matter of convenience, more over in office wearing bangles (huge no at that) can cause disturbance not only for the wearer but for other people too. Wearing a bracelet does the trick. 

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

Wearing bangles earlier was a symbol of marriage. In Bengal women wear red and white bangles, in Maharastra women wear green glass bangles which is considered auspicious. However, even women today wear bangles but they are worn only on one hand and they don't look traditional or for religious reasons, but more to make a fashion statement. Most women wear bangles during festivals too. But a large no.of women are working today and I have seen that even home makers these days don't wear bangles, it is matter of convenience, more over in office wearing bangles (huge no at that) can cause disturbance not only for the wearer but for other people too. Wearing a bracelet does the trick. 

Irrespective of a Home makers or working women the factor taken into consideration by today's woman is " Convenience".

Thanks for all the views.  Yes the so-called "convenience" factor seems to have come in a big way.  Every single woman talks about it, and those who try to argue about customs, is not so much welcome.

Yet, going the traditional way, at least on major religious days or festival days, is a good thing.  It will positively help to preserve something that has been a big part of our culture for decades or centuries.  We cannot totally do away with any aspect of any culture just like that.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.