Balachander, the ace director from Tamil Nadu, recently passed away.  He had made some good movies, and he did discover the talents of both Kamal hasan and Rajnikant.  Of course, the former is streets ahead of the latter, as far as acting is concerned.

Perhaps the only fame to success of Balachander was his Hindi film, called "Ek Duje Ke Liye' which starred Kamalhassan.  The Telugu Version was a huge hit too.

He had his own share of critics.  The final rape scene in the aforesaid movie, was a horrible one, which went on and on for at least ten minutes on screen.  It could have been filmed better.  The scene might have disturbed several young men, many of whom would have thought of doing something as stupid as that.

In many of his movies, there was always an illegitimate child to deal with, and some of his movies were really boring.

Only his Sindhu Bhairavi, which had excellent acting by Sivakumar and Suhasini, was a very good movie. 

Was he all that great, as he is now made out to be?  Were they, or are there, better directors than Balachandar?  I for one, would rate the legendary Mahendran far above Balanchandar.  His "uthri Pookkal" will be remembered for ever, as one of the best movies ever made in Tamil.  His Mullum Malarum was a superbly crafted movie.

Members may present their views.

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

K.Balachander was really a great director who introduced powerful female characters to the Indian cinema. His films were famous for their unusual social themes that nobody dares to handle.  His themes, direction and the style of presentation were unique that made him different from the other directors. Among his films, Aval oru Thodarkathai, Apoorvaraagangal, Varumayin niram sivappu, Ek duje ke liye, Sindhu Bhairavi, etc., were very notable ones that I liked most. It is true that there are many other talented directors, but his talents deserved recognition, and he already got it by winning Dadasaheb Phalke award, National awards for 5 times and numerous State and Filmfare awards. 

Balchandar is one of those rare directors who sees life in it's real perspective. When it comes to Reality none can beat him. I for one hold him in high esteem.

RAMAKRISHNAN. A wrote:

K.Balachander was really a great director who introduced powerful female characters to the Indian cinema. His films were famous for their unusual social themes that nobody dares to handle.  His themes, direction and the style of presentation were unique that made him different from the other directors. Among his films, Aval oru Thodarkathai, Apoorvaraagangal, Varumayin niram sivappu, Ek duje ke liye, Sindhu Bhairavi, etc., were very notable ones that I liked most. It is true that there are many other talented directors, but his talents deserved recognition, and he already got it by winning Dadasaheb Phalke award, National awards for 5 times and numerous State and Filmfare awards. 

Well said sir. You are absolutely correct. During the period that women are only being portrayed as a doll, K.Balachander  is the person who portrayed the women as a strong person and she is no more less than men. He portrayed women as a person who is leading family and also portrayed more qualities of women. For example, we can take movies like aval oru thodar kathai, sindhu bairavi,etc. Not only that, he boldly takes up many social issues and brought to the limelight. After his existence, the pattern of tamil movies started changing. So, undoubetly he will live in the hearts of tamil peope forever. No one can replace his place.

n

Thank you said by: RAMAKRISHNAN. A
geetha wrote:
RAMAKRISHNAN. A wrote:

Well said sir. You are absolutely correct. During the period that women are only being portrayed as a doll, K.Balachander  is the person who portrayed the women as a strong person and she is no more less than men. He portrayed women as a person who is leading family and also portrayed more qualities of women. For example, we can take movies like aval oru thodar kathai, sindhu bairavi,etc. Not only that, he boldly takes up many social issues and brought to the limelight. After his existence, the pattern of tamil movies started changing. So, undoubetly he will live in the hearts of tamil peope forever. No one can replace his place.

Why only Tamil people ? All his moves were remade in Telugu also. His Ek Duje ke liye made him a hold name in the entire country. I'm a great fan of Balchandar Avargal.

n

He is a great director. His films Aval oru Thodarkathai, Apoorvaraagangal,Sindhu Biravi ,Thillu mullu and Manathil uruthi vendum are really good movies. He introduced Rajinikanth and Kamahassan to tamil cinema and they are till date acting and their movies are top class in Tamil cinema.

Dwarakanathan wrote:

He is a great director. His films Aval oru Thodarkathai, Apoorvaraagangal,Sindhu Biravi ,Thillu mullu and Manathil uruthi vendum are really good movies. He introduced Rajinikanth and Kamahassan to tamil cinema and they are till date acting and their movies are top class in Tamil cinema.

I strongly feel that he's the jewel of Indian film field. Balchandar is a National figure.

rambabu wrote:
geetha wrote:
RAMAKRISHNAN. A wrote:

Why only Tamil people ? All his moves were remade in Telugu also. His Ek Duje ke liye made him a hold name in the entire country. I'm a great fan of Balchandar Avargal.

Yes sir. I agree with you. Since i am from tamilnadu, i really proud of him and he is the person who brought different dimension to tamil cinema. Also portrayed the life of a common man in tamilnadu much realtistically. But, as you said, he is a pride for our indian nation always. 

Balachandar and Balu Mahendra are two legends in directing the cinema.

Yes. The two Aces of Tinsel world gave some of the best movies that remain forever in the hearts of the cinema lovers of this country.

In the Tamil film world, K. Balachander was also known as ‘Iyakkunar Sigaram’, meaning ‘the Director who conquered the peak’.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.