Tamil Nadu has many communities and several types of food.  The Chettinad cuisine is now famous throughout the world. 

From Tiruchrapalli to Karaikudi, there are several small towns and bigger towns that are totally dominated by the Chettiar people, who are basically traders.

Contrary to public perception, they are not just traders.  The very famous Murugappa Group of Chennai, which has a turnover in excess of Rs.10,000/- crores, is a very big group, and they are known for their honesty.  In fact, the Government babus from the Inspectorate of Factories know that they cannot get anything more than one cup of tea, as local hospitality.  The HR Managers simply refuse to pay a single pie, and even if there are some shortcomings, they simply refuse to bribe the Government guys and prefer the legal route.

Not just that, apart from the good salaries and long term perks, the group is quietly into good social service as well.

If you get a chance to attend a Chettiar wedding, please do so.  You will be simply stumped by the sheer variety of items that will be served for breakfast, on a traditional, huge banana leaf.

The Chettiars are known for their residences, done up with the best of architecture.  One of the best experts of the Financial world, Dr P Chidambaram, is from this community. 

Between Tiruchi and Karaikudi, is a small town called Kanadu katththan.  It is a beautiful town, and more of an outgrown village.  Please do visit this place to see the huge Chettiar residences, one of which reportedly belongs to Mr A C Muthiah, the former big boss of SPIC group and the BCCI.

With some permission, you can see these houses, and admire the architecture.  Yes, you can even request one of the families in that small town to serve you breakfast.  You can just admire their hospitality.  Special arrangements are reportedly done, if people go in a group. 

The superb residences are also used as tourist spots, where the foreigners get to live in the lap of nature, and enjoy the hospitality of Chettiars.  However, the cost, reportedly, is upwards of Rs.5,000/- for a single day.

Still, this place is worth a visit.

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

It was only two days ago I was traveling from Chennai to B'luru by my car. On my way, I happened to see many huge flexies with the sign of "Chettinad Kitchen". I know earlier that Chettinad name is well associated with culinary art. True. They are shrewdbusiness people with a strong integrity. Thanks for a post with interesting content.

Chettinad foods are famous in karaikudi and they are getting popular now-a-days. Here in chennai, If you have a chance please go and visit "Dakshinchitra" which is neary by MGM disney world on the route of ECR. Dakshinchitra is a famous place where you can see all type of Indian houses(Kerala,Karnataka,Tamilnadu karikudi houses...) and their models. 

Dwarakanathan wrote:

Chettinad foods are famous in karaikudi and they are getting popular now-a-days. Here in chennai, If you have a chance please go and visit "Dakshinchitra" which is neary by MGM disney world on the route of ECR. Dakshinchitra is a famous place where you can see all type of Indian houses(Kerala,Karnataka,Tamilnadu karikudi houses...) and their models. 

Chettinad kitchens are famous even in Karnataka. These kitchens are very particular about Quality.

Chettinad cuisine is very famous and written about a lot. I hope to visit the place one day and enjoy the experience.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Chettinad Cuisine is not just limited to TN alone. I have seen them in Karnataka. And I'm sure all other metropolises must be having at least a couple of Chettinad outlets.. 

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.