Indian cinema is one of the oldest in the world cinemas. Movies of Indian origin are also said to be the largest in terms of output. But, recent Indian movie makers are imitating Hollywood or other foreign movies,to a great extent. Many foreign movies are remade into Indian languages. They also copies techniques and story treatments, which they come across in foreign movies.

Is this good for Indian Cinema? Let Us Discuss.

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

As long as the viewers find the movies entertaining, there is no issue. But the producers of movies have to take care of the legal provisions including copy rights.  . 

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Imitation in any form in any field is undesirable. It speaks of lack of originality and creativity . Just go back a few decades, you will find the excellence in creativity in the Indian cinema field. The biggest trail blazers were Mehboob khan, Bimal Roy, Ritwik Ghatak and not to mention the inimitable Satyjit Roy, who got an Oscar for his lifetime achievement in the arena of world cinema.

I agree with Rambabu sir. There is nothing wrong in taking lessons from good movies and movie makers. But, the art which we see on the screen should be original. I do not believe that Indian youth is short of talents. The only thing is that they are not ready to work hard and hence the youth looks for the easier options.

Indian youth believe in using the technology. There is nothing wrong in it. But, where's the film makers's contribution?the credit goes to the gadgets, not to the human element. AR Rehman uses electronic instruments. But the composition is 100 percent Rehman's. 

A healthy balanceshould be struck between the technology and creativity.

There is no problem with seeing remakes of foreign films, but if all the films were being modeled after Hollywood films, then what is the point. One can simply watch the original ones, most of which are much much better than the remakes. We want to see original ideas, not copy cat ones.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

We, Indians, have the originality, creativity and our own style of presentation, with the artistic quality and technical excellence matching with Hollywood films. Still some of our film makers go for short cuts and imitate Hollywood films to impress the Indian audience with some novel concepts. Remaking legally is okay, but imitating illegally is not a good practice.

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

There is nothing wrong in adapting rather than mindlessly imitating. Many old great film makers have taken a foreign film and adapted it to the needs and suitability of the Indian society. This also requires  intelligence and creativity...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani

In fact, Indian cinema is not as old as the poster believes but Europeans were the pioneers of the motion picture industry. US cinema leads the world cinema Industry and there is nothing wrong if we take good things or scripts from developed cinema, at least that will change our trend. We maybe one of the largest in number game but stand nowhere as far good/standard/technically good  movies are concerned. 

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

Its very nice to see mixed responses coming for a thread started by me.

As Ramkrishnan sir wrote, our country has a lot of talents. They are capable of creating great movies. Then why should we copy from somebody else. Copy the hard work, enthusiasm and sincerity shown by foreign film. These are the key to make a good movie. We can use the same techniques they are using, or we can use the same camera they use, but i don't support to use the same story and screen plays they use. That will kill the film making capacity of our country.But, some film makers uses the foreign stories as reference and remake some movie by adding their creativity. That's somewhat better. But, still I I want Indian films to be Indian by nature and not foreign.

Remaking and introducing the beauty of foreign classics to Indian audience in our own language and circumstances will be beneficial to many people for whom foreign films are beyond their grasp or have language problems; even though we cannot beat the originals. We have the talents and technology, but still we are not on the top of the world. The world film industry is a vast university from which we have to learn a lot and attain so many higher degrees. But imitation and plagiarism are not the methods to pass the exam.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.