Now with the supreme court ruling that live in couple who have been together for a number of years are presumed to be married there is some security for women , also Indian men would think twice before getting entangled in adulterous relationships ...

http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/couple-cohabiting-for-long-time-presumed-to-be-married-supreme-court-755024

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

A landmark judgement indeed. But, cohabiting "For some time" clause is not well defined. This clause should be specific about time factor. The good news is that, the woman who lives with her partner is eligible for inheriting the property after her partner's death.

Thank you said by: usha manohar
rambabu wrote:

A landmark judgement indeed. But, cohabiting "For some time" clause is not well defined. This clause should be specific about time factor. The good news is that, the woman who lives with her partner is eligible for inheriting the property after her partner's death.

This is welcome. The fact of living together as man and wife is more relevant than the ritual. The ritual could be complete in a few hours but living for years together needs more understanding each other and compatibility.  Practically, we see so many people living as couples and accept them as husband and wife. There is no way they could be asked to produce certificate of marriage while admitting them as tenant or at other occasions.    

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

There are quite a few such cases where couples have lived together for many many years.I came across one such couple in their seventies who we all thought were married.Their children were actually his , from his first wife who passed away just a couple of years ago. They feel there is hardly any need to get married since they feel secure and the children at least outwardly seem to have accepted the lady ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

I'm for such live in relationship. Now I read there is a movement in Tamilnadu. The movement questions the significance and necessity of Mangal Sutra. They question  those who are married tying a Mangal Sutra are free from disharmony in their married life? The whole purpose and meaning of married life is harmony and a hassle free life. If the harmony is absent there is no difference between live in relationship and conventional marital relationship.

I guess we are now coming of age where relationships are concerned. Every relationship becomes meaningful only when there is mutual respect and love.Forcing a relationship and marrying two individuals against their wish and expecting them to stay married all their life, to me sounds hypocritical ...Our films too show this old age belief that thali is all powerful and so is kumkum, sindoor ...Is love and commitment bound only by these physical things ? 

True. We are coming of age. Certain sections of the society are questioning the relevance of outdated beliefs and practices. But these are deeply rooted in the minds of the people. These beliefs and practices should be shown exit.

This is a welcome move and also shows that finally our society is also becoming more mature by accepting such relationships. Where the world around us is changing in so many different ways, people of different nationalities, forget only caste and religion here, are coming close together, it is quite immature and also impossible to cling on to age old traditions where relationships are concerned. So accepting such relations and recognising them legally is very laudable.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

This landmark verdict certainly opened floodgates for a new era that enables the society to tread on new paths for further development in the outdated milieu of the society.  I'm confident Good days are ahead.

The disconnect existing in our society can be set right only by laws that benefits the people.On the one hand we see domestic violence and rape increasing by leaps and bounds no matter what measures ?  have been taken. 

A lot has to be done in the sphere of Marital acts. Though something has been done to curb the domestic violence, it was found, it has been badly abused. It's not mere laws or acts introduced and washing off hands that's the need of the hour. Strict enforcement is required. Another thing lawmakers should see that there are no loose ends in the act! So that the scope for abusing is eliminated.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.