Natural calamities are unpredictable. We have seen how the earth quake caused immense loss of lives and property. Now the question arises,are we prepared to deal withsuch natural calamities like Japan, Mexico and the USA, to keep the loss of lives and property to the minimum? How strong and reliable is our Disaster Management. Let's discuss.

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

The simple answer should such a scenario arise in India is, NO. It is more than 20 years since a large-scale earthquake occurred in Maharashtra in 1993 in Latur district in which the entire township of Killari was wiped out within a matter of few minutes. A few years since Bhuj earthquake and still we have not learned any lessons. We simply refuse to let nature alone and keep messing with nature. There is total absence of emergency safety and rescue procedures, we rely solely on a few hundreds of NDRF personnel. So the answer is NO, we are not ready.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

I don't think India is prepared. The countries you have mentioned has already done their job with technology to minimize the result of earth quake. I don't think India has done anything about it. So far no.

ANDROIOS: http://androios-tweaks.blogspot.com
AKP wrote:

I don't think India is prepared. The countries you have mentioned has already done their job with technology to minimize the result of earth quake. I don't think India has done anything about it. So far no.

True. Even houses in Japan are built keeping earthquake occurrence in mind. In India, while building homes and everything else, all rules are generally flouted and broken.

India has faced many calamities including those in Uttarakhand & J & K.  India can definitely face the calamities. But we need to prepare more for disaster management quickly as and when such situation arises.  

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

In 1962' a set of rules for  keeping the men and Material loss to minimum were framed and after that these instructions for building the structures in the earthquake prone regions were never followed. Exceptions are Delhi Metro project and Bhuj of Gujarat.

Not learning from the mistakes is  in our blood.

I agree, our disaster Management is unreliable.

I think no one would be possible ready for this natural calamities, but the disaster response time would be vital to save precious life buried under illustrious cement structures. 

http://mohanmekap.com/

Disaster Management is to keep the loss of men and material to the minimum possible levels. Japan and Mexico succeeded in this respect.

mohan manohar wrote:

I think no one would be possible ready for this natural calamities, but the disaster response time would be vital to save precious life buried under illustrious cement structures. 

True...no one can ever be 100% ready to face natural calamities since they are mostly unpredictable. What matters is preserving records of such events and researching them thoroughly to find out patterns and signs to help us minimise damage. also preserving nature and not messing with it all the time helps. I think most of us now know the fact that the aboriginal tribes of Andaman & Nicobar Islands survived the 2004 Tsunami much better than the civilised since they could read the signs hours before it actually happened and they moved deeper into the jungles. Also coastal areas which still have a decent percentage of mangroves left intact suffered comparatively less damage.

Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani, mohan manohar

Of course no one can succeed in complete elimination of natural calamities , but awareness about the natural calamities right from the grass roots will enable us in minimizing te loss of life and property. This is what Japan the top most country vulnerable to earth quakes and Tsunamies has done and became successful. Especially in building construction suitable to reduce the loss of men and material .

rambabu wrote:

Of course no one can succeed in complete elimination of natural calamities , but awareness about the natural calamities right from the grass roots will enable us in minimizing te loss of life and property. This is what Japan the top most country vulnerable to earth quakes and Tsunamies has done and became successful. Especially in building construction suitable to reduce the loss of men and material .

True...in spite of progress and technological advancement, Japan has still not lost sight of what matters the most. We, on the other hand have lost all perspective and there simply is no vision left. For a handful few who have that vision, we do not listen to them.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.