Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
usha manohar wrote:
suni51 wrote:

I have vastly visited all the areas you mentioned in your post but not being fluent in local languages ( I can speak within manageable limits only) I could never avail a local home to stay. However I enjoyed this facility in Goa on regular basis (every weekend) for 2 years during my posting in Belgam. That was great time I will never forget in my life. 

I guess they have complied a list depending on their own feedback and if they were to include all of them, the list would be endless...Goa probably was one of the first places to start the trend since I know of it having home stay facilities since the eighties ...Since many foreigners visit and stay for a long period of time many home owners with large houses began renting out a portion of their house and supplying breakfast as well to the guests ..

And being a regular I befriended a couple of locals in almost all parts of Goa and enjoyed free stay with everything on the house on many occasions. They are so friendly once they get to know you. I even learned playing TT in a local's place near Calangute Beach. I used to eat in their kitchen sitting on kitchen floor like a family member, (They were Konkani Brahmans) . 

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

suni51 wrote:
usha manohar wrote:
suni51 wrote:

I have vastly visited all the areas you mentioned in your post but not being fluent in local languages ( I can speak within manageable limits only) I could never avail a local home to stay. However I enjoyed this facility in Goa on regular basis (every weekend) for 2 years during my posting in Belgam. That was great time I will never forget in my life. 

I guess they have complied a list depending on their own feedback and if they were to include all of them, the list would be endless...Goa probably was one of the first places to start the trend since I know of it having home stay facilities since the eighties ...Since many foreigners visit and stay for a long period of time many home owners with large houses began renting out a portion of their house and supplying breakfast as well to the guests ..

And being a regular I befriended a couple of locals in almost all parts of Goa and enjoyed free stay with everything on the house on many occasions. They are so friendly once they get to know you. I even learned playing TT in a local's place near Calangute Beach. I used to eat in their kitchen sitting on kitchen floor like a family member, (They were Konkani Brahmans) . 

I envy you. Te fact is traveling is not one of my many interests. But within my limits and limitations i traveled for quenching my artistic thirst. In this process I visited some Hill stations.

suni51 wrote:
usha manohar wrote:
suni51 wrote:

Goa has a sizable population of Saraswath brahmins speaking Konkani ...I too have many friends since Mangalore is home to many Saraswath families ... Goa is one of the best holiday spots in India and one never gets fed up of visiting it any number of times !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

There are lot of such options in Konkan, Maharashtra where the local families rent out rooms in their own homes. The homes are usually on the seaside and are enclosed all around by betelnut palms, mango and cashew trees, and the property extends right upto the beach, so you get your own private beach in many such homestays. The entire such property is called a 'wadi' and the food is is typical, authentic simple but delicious Konkani Marathi fare.

Here is one link for Velas beach which is now famous for the thousands of Olive Ridley turtles that come ashore to lay eggs and then comes the time which is literally a feast for the eyes, ie, the baby turtles hatched from the eggs heading out to the sea, in droves. I have seen it once, and it is indeed an awesome sight!

http://simplyoffbeat.com/explore-destinations/maharashtra-travel-guide/homestays-in-konkan-raigad-district-velas-beach/

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: usha manohar
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

There are lot of such options in Konkan, Maharashtra where the local families rent out rooms in their own homes. The homes are usually on the seaside and are enclosed all around by betelnut palms, mango and cashew trees, and the property extends right upto the beach, so you get your own private beach in many such homestays. The entire such property is called a 'wadi' and the food is is typical, authentic simple but delicious Konkani Marathi fare.

Here is one link for Velas beach which is now famous for the thousands of Olive Ridley turtles that come ashore to lay eggs and then comes the time which is literally a feast for the eyes, ie, the baby turtles hatched from the eggs heading out to the sea, in droves. I have seen it once, and it is indeed an awesome sight!

http://simplyoffbeat.com/explore-destinations/maharashtra-travel-guide/homestays-in-konkan-raigad-district-velas-beach/

Very nice Kalyani, Rs 750 , all inclusive for vegetarians is excellent ...Since most of the time you spend outdoors you are not looking for a posh interior, as long as it is clean , bathrooms are clean and well maintained !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

usha manohar wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

Very nice Kalyani, Rs 750 , all inclusive for vegetarians is excellent ...Since most of the time you spend outdoors you are not looking for a posh interior, as long as it is clean , bathrooms are clean and well maintained !

Yes, Usha, the homes are very simple, rustic and most of them have typical courtyards with grounds smoothened out by using cowdung, I really love the smell and feel of such yards. Food too is very simple but awesome.

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

Yes, Usha, the homes are very simple, rustic and most of them have typical courtyards with grounds smoothened out by using cowdung, I really love the smell and feel of such yards. Food too is very simple but awesome.

They have many homestays amidst the coffee plantations with western ghats in the backdrop with elephants trumpeting at night . We stayed  in a place called Kutta in Coorg ,during monsoons and it rained all the time non stop.My children and nephews and nieces and the men played football in the rain wearing raincoats ...We got bitten by leeches one of which grew to the size of a huge cockroach LOL....All in all it was a memorable holiday  because of the whole atmosphere and the superb food ..I am uploading one of the pictures I took there kutta coorg Copy

usha manohar wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

They have many homestays amidst the coffee plantations with western ghats in the backdrop with elephants trumpeting at night . We stayed  in a place called Kutta in Coorg ,during monsoons and it rained all the time non stop.My children and nephews and nieces and the men played football in the rain wearing raincoats ...We got bitten by leeches one of which grew to the size of a huge cockroach LOL....All in all it was a memorable holiday  because of the whole atmosphere and the superb food ..I am uploading one of the pictures I took there kutta coorg Copy

Beautiful!!! Coorg is a beautiful place! Apart from leeches, I think I already love it!!

Thank you said by: usha manohar

I came across this beautiful place on the Konkan coast called Kokanwadi , looks so peaceful and idyllic for a quiet holiday..

http://www.kokanwadi.in/about-kokan.html

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.